SpeakEasy - a speech recognition plugin - EXPIRIMENTAL

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
maikhorma

SpeakEasy - a speech recognition plugin - EXPIRIMENTAL

Post by maikhorma » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:13 pm

I've got a proof of concept working, where my plugin ties into the build in windows speech recognition to let event ghost produce events based on words heard through a microphone. This is the very first time it's out there so I expect it to be pretty rough. I hope there are some brave souls out there who are interested enough to help me prove this POC on a larger audience. See the README on github for setup instructions:

https://github.com/maikhorma/SpeakEasy

What I'm looking for at this point in time (from anybody):
- Who's interested? Am I the only one? Does this excite people?
- Anyone willing to put in some time, please try and set it up and let me know how it goes. I've only set it up on two computers so far, and they are far from "clean" environments, so right now I have no clue how it will work for others.
- Any feed back on the current setup/features or road map is much appreciated.

If you're a developer:
- I am not a python developer, and this is my first EG plugin. Even if you don't have the time to contribute, just looking at the code and giving some advice would a big help to make sure i'm starting off in the right direction.
- Also of course I'll gladly accept pull requests.

CREDIT Please see the credits section of the readme. I ultimately did very little work in terms of lines of code, so I just want to make sure they get the credit they deserve (including the EG team and community!)

Thanks everyone, let me know what you think!

Dragon470
Experienced User

Re: SpeakEasy - a speech recognition plugin - EXPIRIMENTAL

Post by Dragon470 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Tested, and it works quite well. Windows 7 x64. I have noticed I even had music playing and it still did not produce many errors or misc events. I am using a Microsoft LifeCam as the mic.

I wish I could talk at a normal speed (not with pauses) and it spool the commands. I don't know if this is the plugin limitation or the Microsoft speech recognition.

Potential addition is a keyword(s) to enable disable the creation of events. If we do keyword - (list of commands available after this keyword is said).
This scenario could help eliminate the need to have enable exclusive setups. Just an idea, and would be happy to help if you want to try.

maikhorma

Post by maikhorma » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Awesome to hear that it works, thanks for trying it out. Yes the microphone will play a big part, no matter how good the software is, it can't do what you want if it can't hear you. Even on my laptop's built-in mic the grammar based worked out pretty well, which is why I stuck with it. Since [currently] it's word by word, that's the source of the delay, because it waits for silence to stop listening, activates the appropriate folders, then processes the next word.

Free text on the other hand, was a different story. I just could not get consistent results. Especially on one word blocks. It definitely did better with complete sentences though.

With a more sophisticated grammar like in dragon fly (examples below), it looks like we could specify full sentences at a time (with free form pieces), and easily pick out the values we need in order to fire events. This will also avoid the need for pauses since the entire instructions will be heard and parsed in one attempt.
https://code.google.com/p/dragonfly/sou ... dgroups.py
https://code.google.com/p/dragonfly/sou ... _toggle.py

Depending on how well works (and how well it's setup) i think it might satisfy the whole keyword thing. At first I kind of liked the whole, "wake up", "Yes?" "Do something", but I think once i get used to it, i'd rather it just did what i said. Maybe down the road have both, where you just speak normally, but if doesn't hear you the first time, you can just say the key word, and that will put it into a more simple grammar that will be easier to match what you're saying.

This all depends on getting dragonfly working correctly. I try and take a crack at it tonight. Thanks for your feedback.

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:24 pm

maikhorma,

I tested it and it works in on my system (Windows 7 x64). It seems to pick up every word with a lot of errors. Anyway to increase the confidence level? I am using the microphone of a PS3 Eye Camera so that probably does not help.

Thanks for sharing,

kalia

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:34 pm

I'd like to test this. I hope to have time for it in the next few weeks.

Navi

Post by Navi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 pm

this looks GREAT! I can't wait to try it out!

Navi

Post by Navi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 am

Been using this for a few weeks now and absolutely love it!

shaggy79
Experienced User

Post by shaggy79 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:38 pm

8)

Just Started using this, It's AWSOME! 8) (Windows 7 32Bit)
Really easy to use (even for a beginner like me). :P

Are you still working on this, Will there be updates?
Was wondering if there is a way to make it 'sleep' so it wont listen until you say a 'wake up' command ? :idea:
All in all though VERY impressed.

Cheers Paul :P