64-bit python?

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
sws

64-bit python?

Post by sws » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi,

I'm importing some Python code into EventGhost, and need to use the lxml module to read/write XML. I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit), but the Python version in EventGhost is 32-bit. When I import lxml, I get the followjng error: 'DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application', presumably due to the 64/32 bit conflict. Is it possible to use a different version of Python in EventGhost (I have 64-bit Python 2.7.8 installed)?

Simon

jonib
Plugin Developer

Re: 64-bit python?

Post by jonib » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:03 pm

sws wrote:When I import lxml, I get the followjng error: 'DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application', presumably due to the 64/32 bit conflict.
EventGhost (As it is now) uses a 32 bit (older) version of Python2 so you need to use 32-bit version of any DLL you want to use in EventGhost.
Is it possible to use a different version of Python in EventGhost (I have 64-bit Python 2.7.8 installed)?
Not easily unfortunately. EvenGhost would need to be adapted to be run in a 64bit Python environment and is probably a big undertaking (I have no insight how 64 bit safe the EventGhost code is). There is a similar problem updating to a newer version of Python both 2 and 3. The original author of EventGhost Bitmonster left the project a while ago, and I'm not sure if there is anybody else willing to do the update.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image