Windows 10 Driver Install

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Windows 10 Driver Install

Post by kgschlosser » Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 pm

OK for those of you that are running the dreaded Windows 10 build 1607. Microsoft release something in that build which stops the install of unsigned drivers. This was only supposed to be active if your windows 10 installation was 1607 and not an upgrade (that's what Microsoft states). This however is incorrect. If you upgrade to build 1607 and have a driver that was installed by EventGhost it will no longer function.. You will have to complete the steps below to be able to install and run unsigned drivers. Maybe at some point in the future we will go through the process of getting the drivers Certified and Signed. If there is someone that has done this before and is aware of how the process works and would be willing to help with it that would be hugely helpful and would expedite the process.

Generally, there are two approaches to installing unsigned drivers. Either you activate the test mode in Windows or you restart the computer in a certain mode. The test mode variant I leave out in this article, because it has the unsightly peculiarity that after the activation of the test mode permanent "test mode" and some more information remain in the desktop. Therefore, we will look at the "trackless" variant by restarting.

Step 1:
*****This will restart the computer right after pressing enter*****
First, the computer has to be restarted in the so-called "Options" menu. This is easiest to do with the "Run" dialog. Which is opened by means of the key combination Win + R. The command to boot into the Options menu is as follows:

Code: Select all

shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
Nobody likes to carry out orders, of which he does not know what they are doing. Therefore, the explanation of the individual parameters:

Shutdown.exe - Is a Windows standard program that can shut down and reboot the computer in various ways
/ R - means: Restart
/ O - means: The computer should start in the Options menu
/ F - means: to restart directly and to close all programs automatically
/ T 00 -means the time in seconds until the restart is performed. In this case 0 seconds - ie immediate restart.

Step 2: In the first menu, click the "Troubleshooting" button. In the second menu screen, click the "Advanced Options" button.

Step 3: In the "Advanced Options", go to "Start Settings". Click the "Restart" button.

Step 4:After restarting the computer you land in the startup settings. Several options are available here, which are selected by pressing the numeric key. We need the option 7 - "Disable the driver signature" - to install unsigned drivers on Windows 10.

Step 5: After another restart from the startup settings, you can now also install unsigned drivers in Windows via the device manager.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Windows 10 Driver Install

Post by jachin99 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm guessing Microsoft is choosing to keep this feature in the creators update because it does add some level of security to the system. But if your careful, and you know what your installing on your machine, you might need to turn this off anyway. I came across this post, and I found another way to accomplish this. KG's way is quicker but this site also tells you how to turn enforcement back on if you ever want to re-purpose your machine. Here is a link. http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-dri ... vista.html.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu May 04, 2017 5:26 am

the issue with the way it's done in that link is you get that annoying "test mode" watermark in the lower right corner of the screen.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:23 am

@admin: I think it would be a good idea to make this thread sticky.