Blackout Display

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Blackout Display

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 am

That is the only list i was able to obtain. at the time the site you gave me wasn't connecting...

Now it is and I have updated the code for the new Vendor List. I put it into it's own file as well.

added listing of the available display modes
changed how I was grabbing the width, height, x and y
added color depth
added refresh rate
added setting of the display mode available settings are x, y, width, height, refresh_rate, color_depth, active, primary, save(to registry), test(test setting), reset(load from registry i think)
added setting mode from the display_modes list index available options are index, active, primary, save(to registry), test(test setting), reset(load from registry i think)

attachment is now a zip with the directory and 2 files.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:11 am

I had a bad import on the WindowsVersion due to the adding of the directory. I will have that fixed in the next release.

On a side note. I would like you to try setting the display resolution and what have you. my system is an odd bean in that respect and it doesn't work. I want to make sure 100% that it is my system that is the issue but the call to change the display settings returns a success

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:40 am

kgschlosser wrote:I would like you to try setting the display resolution and what have you.
This test

Code: Select all

display = Display.GetDisplay(1)
print display

display.SetDisplayMode(width=1920, height=1080)
Gives me this error:

Code: Select all

Display Change Error: Bad Flags
jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:04 am

ok i found some docs on the actual meaning of the CDS_* constants and how they need to be paired up. so it works properly now. even on my machine. I removed the save, text, reset options as they are not what i thought they were and have to be done is special pairings of flags.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 am

@jonib thanks for testing this thing out. I think it is something that is worth doing and possibly adding it to EG it would make it far easier to set display modes and also pass the display object between actions like the find window works

Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:25 am

kgschlosser, could You share this files again?
Sin©erely yours, Neytrino.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Kevin, have you ever investigated whether the virtual desktops that are available in Win 10 can be identified?

I love virtual desktops, but they are not persistent over reboots, so once you have set all your applications to run perfectly on different monitors and for each of the virtual desktops, this is great until you reboot and all is lost again.

In case it would be possible to identify monitors+displays+virtual desktops, it should be possible to make a script that remembers where to put all the applications upon startup. This feature is really sorely missing and I think it would be a widely desired solution that would have great (commercial) value.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 am

@piert

You are going to want to kiss me for this.. But I am not going to let you.

https://github.com/kdschlosser/WindowsVirtualDesktop

It still has some bugs in it that need to be sorted out. If you want to work on it with me to clean it up.

I do want to tell you.. the VirtualDesktop API in Windows is not public.. and they seem to be changing it with almost every new build of Windows. So it really is not going to be stable between builds until MS stops mucking about with it. I can fix any issues that arise between builds but I wanted to let you know that is will most likely break with each new version of Windows 10 that gets released.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Don't worry about kissing you; I have a girlfriend for that :D
I do want to thank you for this though; tit sounds very promising even if Microsoft may mess things up between updates.

I am currently in the process of getting my feet wet in setting up a virtual Win 10 in Virtualbox and I will be using this to test out my upgrade to the latest version of Eventghost (I am still running an old version of EG because I don't want to mess up my setup).
Once that is done I will look into your project.

I did notice that there is no explanation on how to use your WindowsVirtualDesktop. Can you provide some hints here?
For instance, does it require availability of Python? Where do I need to place the files of your program to make it work?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:50 pm

click on the clone or download button. it is green and on the right hand side of the page.. then click on download as zip..

once downloaded. open up the zip file. and extract the WindowsVirtialDesktop folder into %appdata%/eventghost/plugins then open up the Add Plugin dialog and it should be there for you to add to your tree. If it is not available you may need to restart EG.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 am

When I placed the downloaded folder "WindowsVirtualDesktop" in the folder C:\Users\vbperry\AppData\Roaming\EventGhost\plugins I can not add the plugin to my Eventghost tree.

If I place the downloaded folder "WindowsVirtualDesktop" in C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins I can install the plugin, which asks to place default actions inside the tree. If I choose to do so and run one of those default macros I always get the following error:

Plugin "WindowsVirtualDesktop" is not activated

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:21 pm

my bad i meant to say %programdata%/eventghost/plugins.. My err on that one.
I am not sure about the activated thing i am going to have to look into it.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I am interested to learn more about this.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 am

See bottom message from log in below picture:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:18 am

go into the plugin folder and delete the libWinVirtualDesktop.py file. not the libWinVirtualDesktop.pyd, note the "d" on the end