New version 0.5.0-beta1 is out

EventGhost is not dead. Things are changing, yes, but EventGhost still has a bright future. Keep up to date with the latest *official* news here.

New version 0.5.0-beta1 is out

Postby blackwind » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:08 pm

0.5.0-beta1 (2016-08-12)

Important changes for plugin developers:

Enhancements:

• Upgrade to Python 2.7 #8 (topic2k)
  • Search for modules in `[python-install]\Lib\site-packages` and `%PYTHONPATH%` #20 (blackwind)
  • Preserve view settings when switching versions #21 (blackwind)
  • Restore changelog panel in about dialog #22 (blackwind)
  • Refresh environment variables automatically or via action #24 (blackwind)
  • Add File > Restart menuitem #32 (blackwind)
  • Add hotkeys to most menuitems #33 (blackwind)
  • Support wildcard patterns in event bindings #46 (blackwind)
  • Calculate "Python Script" indent size from script #48 (blackwind)
  • Replay events via log control's context menu #49 (blackwind)
  • Restore automatic and manual update checking #51 (topic2k)
  • Add option to hide system tray icon #62 (blackwind)
  • Disable log scrolling automatically when not at bottom #64 (blackwind)
  • Integrate useful debug menu functionality into core #67 (blackwind)
Fixed bugs:

• [Lirc] Prevent an exception if no device is connected #29 (topic2k)
  • [MceRemote_Vista] Prevent an exception if no device is connected #30 (topic2k)
  • [Speech] Prevent an infinite loop on configuration reload #54 (blackwind)
Yes, this is an official release approved by Pako.

All plugin developers should be running the beta and should make any necessary adjustments to their plugins as soon as possible, as the final release isn't far off. I recommend that regular users running only stock plugins test this version as well, as it should be just as stable as v0.4.1r1722.

From here on out:

The future is now. Join us, won't you?
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Re: New version 0.5.0-beta1 is out

Postby Sem;colon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Cool, thank you very much!
Anyway, I just wanted to install EG and I did get this screen on my German Windows:
egsetup.PNG

What confuses me here is the second option, I have no idea what it means.
When I translate the German to English it says:

Begin of the Setup:
Start automatedEventGhost

Also I get lot's of plugin errors when I run the new version, should I post errors with plugins in gitHub or in the forum?

Edit: Waht does the new Option: Refresh environment before executing "Run" actions do?

Thank you!
Sem;colon
Experienced User

Postby krambriw » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Nice, I recognize that all my existing non-official plugins are preserved in the plugin directory, that is good. Notice that if you have added some site-packages to lib26 directory in previous versions, you need to move them to lib27 instead.
After fixing some errors mainly related to 'wxFlexGridSizer::AddGrowableCol(), my system is back & up running
My latest plugins
http://plugins.krambriw.net/index.html

Two men in front of a huge excavator...
- that beast steels work from 100 men with shovels
- well, a 1000 men could do the same using teaspoons
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby blackwind » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Sem;colon wrote:What confuses me here is the second option, I have no idea what it means.
When I translate the German to English it says:

Begin of the Setup:
Start automatedEventGhost

That's really odd, as I'm using the official translation from Inno Setup and not my own. Please do send them a pull request with the correct translation. In English, the option is "Automatically start EventGhost" (with Windows).

Also I get lot's of plugin errors when I run the new version, should I post errors with plugins in gitHub or in the forum?

If they're stock plugins, post on GitHub; if not, inform the author in the appropriate thread here.

Edit: Waht does the new Option: Refresh environment before executing "Run" actions do?

From Add Action > System > Refresh Environment:

"Refreshes environment variables by reading their current values from the registry.

When a program launches, it inherits the current environment from the program that launched it, and EventGhost is no different. By default, if you modify an environment variable, EventGhost won't pass your changes along to the programs it launches because it doesn't know those changes took place. If you update your %PATH%, for example, then open a Command Prompt from EventGhost, you'll find you're unable to run commands from the new folders you've added.

In the past, the only solution to this problem was to restart EventGhost. Now, with the aid of this action (or "Refresh environment before executing Run actions" in Options), EventGhost can read the latest environment variables from the registry, apply them to its own environment, and thereby pass them along to anything it launches going forward."

krambriw wrote:Notice that if you have added some site-packages to lib26 directory in previous versions, you need to move them to lib27 instead.

Better still, because of #20, you can install Python 2.7 (x86 version, as it has to match EventGhost), run `pip install modulename`, and EventGhost will pick up your modules automatically. Alternately, you can create the %PYTHONPATH% environment variable and put your modules there, where they can be accessed by any Python interpreter on your system.

After fixing some errors mainly related to 'wxFlexGridSizer::AddGrowableCol(), my system is back & up running

Glad to hear!
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Return to EventGhost News