New version 0.5.0-beta2 is out

EventGhost is not dead. Things are changing, yes, but EventGhost still has a bright future. Keep up to date with the latest *official* news here.

New version 0.5.0-beta2 is out

Postby blackwind » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:32 am

0.5.0-beta2 (2016-08-14)

Fixed bugs:

• Show update notification for new releases only #81 (blackwind)
  • Change directory to `eg.configDir` only if it exists #86 (blackwind)
  • Prevent hang on system resume when `eg.app.Restart()` is called #87 (blackwind)
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Why aren't some of my events working?
A: You were using implicit wildcards. A "Play" event, for example, would previously match "X10Mouse.Button.Play" and "MyRemote.Play". In v0.5, you need to use explicit wildcards like "*.Play".

Q: Why are certain Python modules I depend on missing?
A: See #20. TL;DR: You can now use any module you want by installing it yourself.

Q: Why am I getting an error about `AddGrowableCol()`?
A: You're using plugins that haven't yet been updated for v0.5. If you're a user, roll back to v0.4.1r1722 for now; if you're a developer, see #35 for info on how to update your plugins. If you need further assistance, post a reply to #35.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Re: New version 0.5.0-beta2 is out

Postby krambriw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:07 am

Hi,
Q: Could you describe how the setup is managing existing plugins in the plugins folder during installation of a new EG version? Like if there are newer/modified files in some of the plugin folders
My latest plugins
http://plugins.krambriw.net/index.html

Two men in front of a huge excavator...
- that beast steels work from 100 men with shovels
- well, a 1000 men could do the same using teaspoons
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby blackwind » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:13 am

Should be the same as v0.4.1 -- if you've modified stock files, they'll be overwritten; if you've put your own files in there (you should be using `%PROGRAMDATA%\EventGhost\plugins` for this instead), they'll still be there after upgrade.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Postby krambriw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 am

Do we have a list of stock files? So you mean if I make a modification of for instance Mouse, a newer file found will not be considered and left as is?
Is it possible to have an additional folder for my own plugins just to separate them from the stock files? Just to avoid that you might lose something...due to an upgrade of EG
My latest plugins

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby blackwind » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 am

krambriw wrote:Do we have a list of stock files?

I guess you could browse through the repo at GitHub.

So you mean if I make a modification of for instance Mouse, a newer file found will not be considered and left as is?

Correct, but this was the case for v0.4.1 as well.

Is it possible to have an additional folder for my own plugins just to separate them from the stock files? Just to avoid that you might lose something...due to an upgrade of EG

Yep, that's what `%PROGRAMDATA%\EventGhost\plugins` is for. The installer doesn't touch that folder.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Postby krambriw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 am

OK, understood.

So as developer and contributor of non-stock plugins, our recommendation to users should be that those plugins should go to %PROGRAMDATA%\EventGhost\plugins?

What if the same plugin would be present in both places? What are the priorities. Like in my case, there is a very old version of the SunTracker plugin provided as stock vesion but I have the latest in %PROGRAMDATA%\EventGhost\plugins?
My latest plugins

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby blackwind » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:28 am

krambriw wrote:So as developer and contributor of non-stock plugins, our recommendation to users should be that those plugins should go to %PROGRAMDATA%\EventGhost\plugins?

Correct, and if you distribute in .egplugin format, they'll be installed to that folder automatically. In v0.5, you can export to .egplugin by opening the "Add Plugin..." dialog, right-clicking your plugin, and choosing "Export...". An .egplugin file will also work in v0.4.1.

What if the same plugin would be present in both places? What are the priorities. Like in my case, there is a very old version of the SunTracker plugin provided as stock vesion but I have the latest in %PROGRAMDATA%\EventGhost\plugins?

`%PROGRAMDATA%` takes priority. I place my Keyboard+ plugin in `%PROGRAMDATA%`, for example, to override the stock Keyboard plugin.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Postby krambriw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:33 am

Cool, thank you!
My latest plugins

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby blackwind » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:55 pm

If you're a plugin developer, please send us a reply at GitHub with your feedback on #89, which may be coming in beta3.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Return to EventGhost News