EventGhost Roadmap: Ambitions and Goals

EventGhost is not dead. Things are changing, yes, but EventGhost still has a bright future. Keep up to date with the latest *official* news here.

EventGhost Roadmap: Ambitions and Goals

Postby dequi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Let's start defining how we can get this wonderfull project back on track :D

Roadmap

1. Get an overview of where we are, what resources do we have, who is in control, when do they expire, cost, ...
2. Identify the most citical single points of failure (single person access to the resources) and find a solution to mitigate
3. Get some basic funtionality fixed.
  • forum: email functionality
4. Define how we are going to update the website and keep it updated.
5. Define how we are going to solve the hard to find documentation / tutorial / guides issue.
6. ...

What else? I'll update the list as the discussion goes on.
Last edited by dequi on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Re: EventGhost Roadmap: Ambitions and Goals

Postby dequi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Updated Version from http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... 93e#p42072 (and I'll keep updating)

THE RESOURCES
-------------------

Domains

Code: Select all
Name               dns-admin                       Registrar                    Cost                 Expires
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eventghost.net     zian (Ian Wilson)               http://www.domain.com        $45.96/4years        18-01-2018
eventghost.org     Bitmonster(Lars-Peter Voss)     http://www.antagus.de                             07-02-2017
eventghost.com     Bitmonster(Lars-Peter Voss)     https://www.hetzner.de                            07-02-2017
eventghost.de      Klaus Rothert ???               ???                                               ??-??-????   

Remarks:
- Everyone seems to use the .net but Google prefers the .org in the results
- Only one person that has the 'access' per domain? This issue should be addressed.
- Does jitterjames still have access? Looks like he set up the eventghost.net domain. Is he still involved? (as he retired his AdSense account)
- Is Bitmonster ready to hand over the remaining domains to the community? as they come to expire.

Hosting

site-admin             Host         Cost              Expires
----------------------------------------------------------------
zian (Ian Wilson)      goDaddy      $107.88/year      ??-??-????

Remarks:
- Only one person that has the 'access' to the hosting account? This issue should be addressed.
- Does jitterjames still have access? Looks like he set up the eventghost.net domain. Is he still involved? (as he retired his AdSense account)
- Currently hosts the Website / Documentation / Forum / Wiki.

GitHub Repository: https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost

user             access
----------------------------------------------------------------
blackwind        commit access
pako             commit access

topic2k          under consideration for commit access         

Remarks:
- Communication through eventghost.slack.com, blackwind has only control (only 3 users) ?

Income

Type             Owner                    Account
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Donations        zian (Ian Wilson)        paypal account = iwilson7 (at) hotmail.com
AdSense          zian (Ian Wilson)        ca-pub-2855227551695939

Forum

User             Group                Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bitmonster       Site Admin           abandoned the project (Last post: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:42 pm)
zian             Site Admin           still active member (6 months silence)
jitterjames      Experienced User     abandoned the project? (Last post: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:15 pm)

MODERATORS   

Pako             Plugin Developer     still active member
jonib            Plugin Developer     still active member
Bartman          Plugin Developer     abandoned the project (Last post: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:01 pm)
jinxdone         Plugin Developer     abandoned the project (Last post: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 am)
stottle          Plugin Developer     abandoned the project (Last post: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm)

Remarks:
- currently the main way collaboration on the project happens

ACTIVE MEMBERS (give support / answer to questions)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Who we might engage on the short term
figuring this out. - I'll update
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby dequi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:21 pm

@zian,

Could you please shed some light on some of the questions regarding the resources. Are there things that are missing from the inventory?

and a second, a bit more complicated question I know, but I feel the need to ask after the long absence,
Do you consider yourself still as an active core member of the EventGhost community?

1. No, I don't really care anymore. I've moved on to other projects.
2. Maybe. It depends if we can get things moving.
3. Maybe, more a member then a core member.
4. Yes I'm fully committed to invest the time as part of the core team.
5. ...or maybe some completely different answer...

mind you, it doesn't matter how you answer. You'll be always considered as a valued member :D
Just so we all know where we stand.

Just for clarification: for the moment I see myself as a combination of 5 and 2: a temporary active member certainly not core, depending if we can get things moving.
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby zian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:09 pm

All I do, besides, change the AntiSpamBot Q&A every few months, and prune all the spambots that register every 6 months (this morning for example lol) is cash the "checks" (Google AdSence) and pay the bills.

I also broke the HTML header /nav bar to the website once.

The .org thing... I think our DNS name servers may be off or something. Not sure. Don't want to mess with it (break it worse).

I'll be glad to let somebody in share keys if they can fix/change/whatever.

Be glad to hand it all over too.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby blackwind » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:22 pm

Glad to see you're still out there, Ian!

Because I maintain several projects of my own, I have all the necessary accounts and infrastructure already in place to accept a hand-off. Drop me a PM, and we can work out the details.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Postby zian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:59 pm

blackwind wrote:Drop me a PM, and we can work out the details.

I'll wait on that.

I'll listen for some other voices too.

Thanks bw
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby zian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 pm

blackwind wrote:Because I maintain several projects of my own, I have all the necessary accounts and infrastructure already...

Great. Have a GoDaddy account bw?
If so I can send you admin rights there so you can bring back our nav bar and also maybe sort DNS/domains.

What else EG.web wise needs fixing?
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby blackwind » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:12 am

Don't have an account with them, no, as I don't personally use their services. Sharing the login will have to suffice.

In terms of fixing, the forum email functionality (unless you've very recently fixed that again) and the headers are the big ones. In terms of upgrading and expanding? Pretty much everything, as dequi notes. But, one step at a time.
/bw
blackwind
Experienced User

Postby dequi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:50 am

I'm afraid there might not be so much voices left, we will see.

maybe it's not a bad time to throw in some skill sets. Here are mine:
- I maintain the web presence for a chemical company I work for. I don't use domain.com or godaddy.com but eurodns.com and combell.com for hosting.
- I know my way around a ZONE file, and know some html, javascript, css, php, sql
- I do know some windows application programming (I wrote several programs that control the filling lines on our production floor) but I don't know python.

in the works:
- Currently learning how GitHub and GitHub pages work, and trying to understand blackwinds CONTRIBUTING.md

So if you could post a transcript of the dns zone file(s) here we could see what the .org problem might be. Although I doubt the problem will be situated in the eventghost.net dns entries. More likely google just has a preference for a .org site, and I don't think the community controls that one.

In order to get some things fixed it might not be needed to give full hosting account access to someone right away, most of the time you can create a couple of ftp user accounts within your hosting package, even if needed, some separate sql database access accounts. There should be some tutorials on godaddy.com on how to do that.

Although the problem when keeping sole master control is when you kick the bucket, the whole project (or a big chunk) kicks the bucket. Please make sure to have some arrangement, maybe with a relative or so, to get things handed over to the community in case of an unexpected early demise. The same goes for you blackwind.

/ updated the roadmap with the things that need fixing /
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby krambriw » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 am

I do fully support this initiative

As a plugin dev I will continue as much as possible on my side keeping my plugins updated & shared. I'm getting closer to my retirement so we will see how much new I will contribute with but all I have done can be taken over if/when needed

Best regards & thanks for this initiative

Walter
My latest plugins
http://plugins.krambriw.net/index.html

Two men in front of a huge excavator...
- that beast steels work from 100 men with shovels
- well, a 1000 men could do the same using teaspoons
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:18 am

well I may as well chime in. I am newish to EG and just started programming about a year and a half ago. I am an extremely fast learner, and a avid problem solver.

I am also A+, S+, L+, N+, MCITP, MCSE, CNE and some others as well.

I have a decent amount of network based resources at my disposal. including but not limited to.

Dedicated VPN Tunneling 45 tunnels IPSEC, EasyLink, OpenVPN
Certificate Authority
DHCP
DNS DNSSEC Encrypted
IIS
SMTP
SNMP

180 Mbit downstream
40Mbit upstream

APC 5000VA UPS with little under 2 days battery life

if in any way I could help out, let me know.
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:23 am

dequi wrote:So if you could post a transcript of the dns zone file(s) here we could see what the .org problem might be. Although I doubt the problem will be situated in the eventghost.net dns entries. More likely google just has a preference for a .org site, and I don't think the community controls that one.

Google does a hyperlink popularity sorting.

meaning that the item posted highest in their search is the one that has more references to that domain on other websites as a link. so it's rather like a popularity thing. the .org has more links to it on other websites then any of the others.
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby zian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 pm

dequi wrote:- I maintain the web presence for a chemical company I work for. I don't use domain.com or godaddy.com but eurodns.com and combell.com for hosting.
- I know my way around a ZONE file, and know some html, javascript, css, php, sql /

You should receive an email shortly from GoDaddy allowing you access to administrate what we have there.

First thing I (we) ask is... Don't break stuff. lol
Like I did. And also why I don't try to mess with it anymore. ;)

The Navbar. I think it is still on the eg home page but not seen in other pages (like forum for example).

If you see anything that doesn't make sence just ask me. I may have a reply.

I think at GoDaddy we have eventghost.net and com.
Not sure about .org.
We'll figure it out.

And thanks much dequi for speaking up and getting hands dirty.

Ian
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby zian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Did Pako pack it in?
Is he still around?
I sure hope so.

If he isn't around any more how can we get him the fuck back here?
That dude is a Bit MASTER!!!
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby dequi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:41 pm

kgschlosser wrote:well I may as well chime in. I am newish to EG...

That is an understatement! I'm running some statistics on current user commitment, and you man ...are the bomb! :shock:
Your posts per day ratio is of the charts
Sorry Walter, second place (but you certainly get extra points for endurance!)

kgschlosser is phenomenal.png

Still have to filter out those who havn't logged in recently. I'll post the conclusions when finished.
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Next

Return to EventGhost News