EventGhost Roadmap: Ambitions and Goals

Keep up to date with EG related information here.

Re: EventGhost Roadmap: Ambitions and Goals

Postby pearbear » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:21 am

Yes, it's very important to know what direction development will take now. Will GitHub repository continue to be used? Is it back to the old way of submitting patches on the forum thread for the last release and reporting bugs to the forum? Or is development completely halted? If the GitHub repository is no longer going to be used then a notice should be added to README.md that states this so people don't waste their time submitting pull requests and issue reports there.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby krambriw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 am

I think critical is to decide from where we are taking off now? I am myself running the beta 4 version and it is working very well. But even more critical for me is the support of the new plugin format for installation. I am not going to support both the "old just copy a set of files" and this new compressed format when sharing. So far I have already moved to the compressed format for some since I believed the new path will be via the beta 5.x versions.

So currently we have the following branches:

- 4.x versions
- 5.x versions (beta paths)
- kgschlossers experimentals

This makes me a bit uncertain what way we should move
My latest plugins
http://plugins.krambriw.net/index.html

Two men in front of a huge excavator...
- that beast steels work from 100 men with shovels
- well, a 1000 men could do the same using teaspoons
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:40 am

I for one would like to know what the person that was doing all the hard work on github before wants to do. And I am talking about topic2K. From my readings on github is seems as though (he/she) really spearheaded the super difficult stuff like python 2.7 and wx 3.0.x. I would really like to know if they are still in the project or not? and if so what would they like to see get done and how to go about it. I do know this. they are really good at addressing and solving issues/bugs and handles working with others in a proper way. But something has got to move at least a little here. just because one person leaves the project doesn't mean it should come to a grinding halt again.

I am willing to take on the challenge but my knowledge i feel is not up to snuff for the task. I do have a pretty wild ability to learn at an extremely fast rate. and if there could be a team put together of a couple of people that are willing to except ideas and listen (read) without getting all butt hurt when an idea gets shot down or things don't go their way (people that have grown up mentally). if a few could get together and can figure out some kind of common ground and can play nice nice with each other things can happen. I feel we need Pako's thought on this he is the lead on the coding side of things. don't get me wrong i love messing around with EG. but I would like to not have to override code eg functions via plugins to alter how it works. I would love to see some of the great ideas people have had make their way into the core. But above all else I would love to be able to teach others what i know my joy in this project comes from helping someone solve an issue they have and how excited they must get when something starts to work properly. I know how it is when i finally get something right after i have spent days or sometimes weeks working on it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 am

I was closely watching all the development that went on in the GitHub repository and in the current situation I think the project would benefit from giving topic2k at least collaborator privileges in the EventGhost repository if they're willing. I know that possibility was mentioned early in this thread. All the development history in the repository is there for anyone to see if you want to check it out. There are various levels of permissions possible on GitHub,at the organization level or repository level.

GitHub makes it really easy for anyone to participate in development but there really needs to be someone keeping the train on the tracks, even if they're not doing any development work. Blackwind was certainly filling that role, if maybe a bit heavy handed. However, in some ways they set a good example for how to run an open source project without letting it descend into chaos. Blackwind's CONTRIBUTING.md is really good. It's important to set these sorts of guidelines and enforce them strictly but you also need to maintain an atmosphere that encourages people to get involved.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby WoLpH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:12 am

kgschlosser wrote:I for one would like to know what the person that was doing all the hard work on github before wants to do. And I am talking about topic2K. From my readings on github is seems as though (he/she) really spearheaded the super difficult stuff like python 2.7 and wx 3.0.x. I would really like to know if they are still in the project or not? and if so what would they like to see get done and how to go about it. I do know this. they are really good at addressing and solving issues/bugs and handles working with others in a proper way. But something has got to move at least a little here. just because one person leaves the project doesn't mean it should come to a grinding halt again.
Agreed... the project needs to rely on several people just in case someone is busy at that point in time.

I am willing to take on the challenge but my knowledge i feel is not up to snuff for the task. I do have a pretty wild ability to learn at an extremely fast rate. and if there could be a team put together of a couple of people that are willing to except ideas and listen (read) without getting all butt hurt when an idea gets shot down or things don't go their way (people that have grown up mentally). if a few could get together and can figure out some kind of common ground and can play nice nice with each other things can happen. I feel we need Pako's thought on this he is the lead on the coding side of things. don't get me wrong i love messing around with EG. but I would like to not have to override code eg functions via plugins to alter how it works.
True... the thing I hate most about many projects is developers that are not willing to accept pull request simply because they feel no need for the feature even though many have chimed in that they do need it.

In the long run that can be killing for the project. And even in those cases, sometimes pull requests go wrong. Take this one, for example, for the couchpotato project. It has been open for about 2 years now: https://github.com/CouchPotato/CouchPot ... /pull/4199
And I've had similar pull requests/issues for projects being open for close to 10 years.

If I can help with anything, let me know. My time is pretty limited but I'm at aleast almost always available for advice (although the email on messages don't appear to work on this board).

PS: great setup kgschlosser, looks pretty solid
Author of the book Mastering Python. Got Python questions? Perhaps I can help :)
WoLpH
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 pm

WoLpH wrote:PS: great setup kgschlosser, looks pretty solid

thanks. It has been for over 8 years now.

here are some more photos

the setup from about a 8 months ago. I have made some changes like i got a console instead of an 8U monitor mount and 1U keyboard
13173116_10206430772873953_2612870566709600846_o.jpg

This is inside the space that houses the rack. when i first started the rack didn't have wheels. and i spent days in that tight space at 115 degrees F in there. not pleasant, but since then we have WHEELS!!! so the whole rack pulls out from the wall. and gives me room in there. but i had to engineer a way to get all the wiring to move with it. as I am only one person it would be a real pain to have to go from the front of the rack to the back over and over again making sure i don't pinch a wire. and I also had to figure out how to make the thing roll from concrete to carpet smoothly because in the bottom of the rack you have 600+ lbs of batteries, a 150lb APC a 100lb stepdown that's a huge amount of weight not including the rest of the equipment. The Server has to weight close to 100. and there are 4 other computers as well as 2 24 port switches, console, AVR wire management and patch panels, Monster Power HTPC UPS (really not needed but i like the display) Cisco Cable Modem, Cisco VPN Router, Cisco MicroCell, HD HomeRun Mcard Network Attached TV Tuner (x 2), 4 port KVM

But I built all the wiring guides you see in this photo. all of the speakers in the Home are bi-wired so there is 4 14ga wires running to each speaker it's a 4 conductor wire so it was nice to run. along with 5 runs of over shielded HDMI smallest run being 35 feet, and longest being 100. the switches are the fastest thing i could find without a fan, and they have a 7 gigbit backplane in each of them and ran 3 cat6E lines to each of the bedrooms (3 of them) plus lines elsewhere, total of 36 and another 12 for arduino controls. plus there are 4 for the Server, one for each HTPC, Microcell, VPN Router, Cable Modem, Tuners i crimped every single wire. even the patch cables (i put the anti snag boots on those so they look purdy) punched down every single keystone jack. all the speaker wires in the media room are terminated to binding posts in wall plates. and everything is connected with gold plated banana plugs

IMG_20161021_142135.jpg

and I also split off a bunch of circuits in my house and attached them to the APC, that is what you see here with all of the NEMA plugs and the 10 gauge Silicone Wire
now I modified the battery backup. had to dismantle it and pull all of the original wiring for the batteries out. and pulled the board so i could bolt on new wires. i used a total of 8 runs of 6 gauge and came out of the battery backup. I put disconnects on the back. built bus bars/fuse holders for attachment of the batteries to the battery backup. you can see those in the bottom of the photo. used 1/2" aluminum bars. the batteries are 27" long, 8" heigh and 4 of them are 19" wide they are designed to be in a rack like this. purpose built for battery backups. I increased the original run time from 20 minutes at 50% Load to just under 24 hours

IMG_20161021_141911.jpg

now this last photo you will have to excuse but it is on the unfinished side of my basement. but you can see the wire management, all built myself to buy that stuff is like 100 beans a foot. but you can also see a low concrete wall. I live in the Rocky Mountains. and there is no such thing as a dry basement. so i tool the existing sump system and redesigned it. and built that wall to contain any possible water. i am fortunate enough to have my home built on a clay deposit. and that stuff stays pretty dry. so i have a very low humidity level in my basement. the dirt area looks like the Utah salt flats. but it is very dusty when walked on. and the temp stays at 60 degrees year round. so i use that cool air to cool the rack down. couple of heavy duty filters to make sure no dust gets into my equipment. and it's still 115 in that bugger. if my HDD's got any hotter I would have to set up an A/C for in there. but they flattened at 49 degrees C 1 degree below the limit. LOL. WHEW!
IMG_20161021_142201.jpg

every TV has an arduino for handling the IR from the remotes, all of the remotes are the same and the System is room aware. so i can carry a remote from room to room and the remote will operate the stuff in that room automatically i have everything fed into a single instance of EG on the server. and it tells each of the HTPC's what to do. and they spit out the video to each of the TV's there is a menu system that eg displays on each of the TV's to allow or control of any device in the home including Thermostats and Lights. if you ring my doorbell it pauses the TV\MOVIE\AUDIO for every room that has it on. and then plays a sound in each of the rooms that's active and pops up the security camera for the front door on any TV that's on. It's pretty cool stuff.

This is why i love EG so much, there is no system out there that allows you do control anything and everything. and the best part is.... IT'S FREE!!!!! so think about this. We (as in the people that use EG) need to get off our asses suck it up quit the baby bickering bullshit. and think about all the people that would gain from this software. we need to teach and need to make it better and we need to have a big ass group hug shake it off. and go to work making EG even better. because the only people that can do it are the people that are looking at the screen right now.

i started this thread to get a list of people willing able and what knowledge they have and what they want to learn

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9133

maybe if we have a list of people and what they know we can get a team going. idk just a thought
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby skribb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:09 pm

kgschlosser wrote:aisdjaidsjsaisdj

Damn dude, you are the DIY god. :D
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
EG: r1722
skribb
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm

anyone that ever says "I can't do it" or "It can't be done" ya wanna know what they are really saying???

I'm to F'in lazy to even try. READ the internet is the largest single source of information. and if you are reading this then you are on it. so use it. ask questions. and READ. if there is any one that that will help you the most.

read this and learn from it

http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_ope ... rence.html

it makes life a whole lot simpler when trying to find something
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby skribb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 pm

kgschlosser wrote:anyone that ever says "I can't do it" or "It can't be done" ya wanna know what they are really saying???

I'm to F'in lazy to even try. READ the internet is the largest single source of information. and if you are reading this then you are on it. so use it. ask questions. and READ. if there is any one that that will help you the most.

read this and learn from it

http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_ope ... rence.html

it makes life a whole lot simpler when trying to find something

Was taht in referenceto mypost=?
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
skribb
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:19 am

yeah it is. i am no GOD. i just don't like paying someone to do something that with a little bit of self education can get done for nothing or cost of materials.

So as an example. I have to rebuild me deck. now i have built a deck or 2 but nothing 14 feet off the ground and has to support 6000 lbs or so in a small 8x8 area. but the whole deck is 12 x 20 and is 3 levels. Now because I don't want to pay someone 75,000 USD to build the thing. i decided to on take the challenge. and I am on a very tight budget because some other things arose in the process. so I have bought every single piece of lumber for it from Home Depots "Damaged" Lumber that really isn't damaged. an end may be split or it may look like a banana. so i made it a point to design my deck with 90% of the pieces being no longer than 4 feet. ok so problem solved with the end of a board being split. and the ones that look like a banana. that's easy. they are still wet. i laid them out up on blocks. stacked all the lumber together and then took ratchet straps and strapped the whole pile together. and they dried like this. now the boards are pin straight. i got all of this lumber at 70-90 % off. i have about 500 USD in materials. for what should be almost 3000 in materials. I drew up the whole thing in a CAD program so i have all of me measurements and angles. i know how to read a tape measure and use a pencil. and I have the internet to look up things like proper attachment to the house and calculating my soil compaction rate to figure out how many and what size footings to make. and the process has begun. and it's really not that hard to do. sure it's work and it's only me doing it and i had to figure out ways to get beams up into place by myself 14 feet up in the air. i might be done with it by the middle of the summer next year. but i am saving a heap load of cash. because i don't believe in "I can't" and if you don't know how. Then learn

not directly referencing you skribb but anyone that that says "i can't do it"

but I will tell you this. the amount of joy you feel when someone asks who did all this work. and I can say that I did. boy does that feel good. almost 2 years ago i didn't program a lick of anything. and i started uing EG. and finding help was a for not. You can actually read one of my first forum posts for a Harman Kardon receiver plugin. I was close to giving up. but I am sure glad i didn't and I started using any resource I could find to learn. because my setup wouldn't be what it is today without the use of EG. and I am wiling to help anyone in any way that i can to achieve what I have done. I will share with them all of the things that work and all of the things that don't so at least they won't have to go through the anguish that i have gone through
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby skribb » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:52 pm

kgschlosser wrote:yeah it is. i am no GOD. i just don't like paying someone to do something that with a little bit of self education can get done for nothing or cost of materials.

How about demigod? :D
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
skribb
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:00 pm

o geesh. nope not even one of those. i am a broken down old man, That at the moment is excessively exhausted some dingdong that the previous owner of my house had build the deck on the front of my house. decided that footings for that deck should only go 12" into the ground. when the ground under the deck slopes downhill to the back of the home at a rate of 2:1 meaning for every 2 feet down the side of the house the ground drops 1 foot in elevation. and the deck is only 6' wide in a spot. and digging new footings that are 4 feet deep when you have 2-4 feet of head clearance under the thing really stinks. if I could locate my phone i would upload a photo of before and after. but I have almost all of the holes dug. but I have also had to excavate most of the ground under the thing because the ground was pitched in the direction of the house. which is a no no. but of what i did on the lower level i want to keep it nice and dry in there. I am going to make a new Topic in the main forum for people to post photos of what they have done and accomplished. and it might inspire ideas for people. i think that's a good idea
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby krambriw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 pm

I am going to make a new Topic in the main forum for people to post photos of what they have done and accomplished

Sounds good.If related to EG :wink:

Best regards, Walter
My latest plugins
http://plugins.krambriw.net/index.html

Two men in front of a huge excavator...
- that beast steels work from 100 men with shovels
- well, a 1000 men could do the same using teaspoons
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:00 pm

My whole system is run by EG. But i Think that showing any photos of what you have accomplished is a great way to share ideas. and have discussion about how things are done. and how you got them working

I believe that's Very important for really showing what EG can do
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby skribb » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 pm

kgschlosser wrote:My whole system is run by EG. But i Think that showing any photos of what you have accomplished is a great way to share ideas. and have discussion about how things are done. and how you got them working

I believe that's Very important for really showing what EG can do

This guy doesn't live in the US, but I think he's on your level when it comes to DIY home automation

https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperHouseTV/videos

You could make videos like him. That's a great way to share the knowledge.
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
skribb
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to EventGhost News