How you can help

EventGhost is not dead. Things are changing, yes, but EventGhost still has a bright future. Keep up to date with the latest *official* news here.

Re: How you can help

Postby pearbear » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:18 am

kgschlosser wrote:i think that this thread should be made

First of all I think there is a problem of terminology here. "Thread" is basically synonymous with "topic" as it's used on this forum. So this comment is part of the "How you can help" thread. I think you're actually talking about creating a new forum section, which actually seems to be called a "forum" by the forum software but that's just confusing. This is the way I see the hierarchy:

Code: Select all
Forum(eventghost.net/forum)
|_Forum section or subforum(e.g. EventGhost News, General Support)
   |_Topic or thread(e.g. How you can help)

I think it's important that we are all clear on terminology so signals don't get crossed. I had originally read what you say only as that you wanted to move the discussion of hosting website content on GitHub to its own thread so it doesn't hijack the "How you can help" discussion, which I think is reasonable.

As far as creating a new forum section, I'm ambivalent. I think the EventGhost News forum section is not the best fit for discussion of EG development projects and no other forum section fits either so it would be nice to have a separate section for these topics. However, my experience with forums is that breaking it up into too many niche sections is a really bad idea because most people don't ever bother to visit those lesser used forum sections. This causes the topics in those sections to get no activity and then people end up posting things to the more popular sections even though they'd be a better fit in the niche section. I think that the creation of any new forum section should be carefully considered.

kgschlosser wrote:so that only an admin or moderator can add a new topic.

I strongly disagree with that idea. It will discourage anyone from posting in that forum section. Where would the appropriate forum section be to start the discussion?
kgschlosser wrote:i don't feel that having random topics created is ideal and it could draw focus away from what is really important and that would be the work at hand.

Then the admins just need to move the inappropriate topics to the correct forum section and inform the poster that they are breaking the rules. The forum section description should be very specific about what is allowed so there is no doubt. I think this will end up being less work for the admins in the end because I don't think there will be very many random topics created in that section as long as the description is clear.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:22 am

ok from my understand of a forum termonology and i am probably wrong in this...

but a thread is a container that can house topics and other threads.

a topic cannot house threads only messages and responses

so with how the EG forum is broken up it has 1 level of threads. and everything below the threads are topics

so when i stated i wanted to make a new thread. that would mean a new "main level" discussion group.

and when i stated i wanted only admins and moderators to create the topics. the purpose to this would be if you want to discuss something about a specific thing that is being worked on then ask in that topic. there is no need to create another topic. this is also for tracking purposes to see what has been finished and what has not. and also to see what is getting the most attention. now having page after page of topics all shuffled together it makes for a mess...

we could do a thread with sub threads for each of the projects being worked on. but nesting also confuses people. it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. and i don't think there is any way to make everyone ideally happy with any method.

so there would be a main level thread for EG projects.

or one of the 2 choices below.

locked project topics. meaning that no new topics can be created

or locked project threads, meaning no new threads can be created and topics can be created under each project thread.

and i do know that if there are to many forum threads only the most commonly used ones get attention. in my personal experience if there is more then one page of threads then usually only the first page threads get used. now i personally do like 2 levels of threads. this adds just enough organization ability. but also to have each thread always put on top the last topic that has had any reply and sticky anything really really important.

for example. there should be a plugins thread. and then there should be threads under that for each plugin. and in those plugin threads the creator of the plugin would be the "moderator" of that thread. this makes issue tracking so much easier then just having a slew of replies to a topic of "new plugin fdjfhfdhkjs" containing support problems or use questions. there should be a template for a plugin thread. with a sticky for "Download Here", "Instructions", maybe a "Meet the Author", and then a free for all with other topics. or if the moderator wants to lump all the bugs in one topic. he/she could create a topic called Bugs. and one for Support and the plugin author would be able to move topics/replies about in his/her plugin thread.

this is a nice thing because first off it delegates out the forum work. and because each author might prefer a different method for tracking/responding to issues/improvements this gives them the freedom to do it in a way that will make their job easier.

and that conforms to the 2 level of threads thing i stated. you could do a 3rd level for the plugins but that would be a maximum but i do not feel at the current state of activity on the forum it needs that.

again these are all thoughts. and that kind of lines right up with the plugin repository. makes supplying a support/help link automatic no need to manually put one in there.
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby dequi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 pm

kgschlosser wrote:I would like to make a new thread in the main forum for discussion of the different expansion bits that are being worked on in EG. it think since there is now forward movement with things that people are working on. it's very important to organize this having crossing conversations with everything in one thread gets confusing to read.

Again a branch away from the topic subject :lol:

Well I find the forum a bit dis-organised sometimes, all items touched here actually already have a topic, so:

I'm moving to:

Feature Request >> Website update
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7382

Coding Corner >> Plugin Manager for EG
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9131
Isn't this a feature request too ?

Regarding the forum organisation: we should start a "general support" topic to define this, and maybe move the non news topics in this "eventghost news" forum to there as well.

Can't you define pinned topics (like anouncements) that stay on top so the "big" parts being worked on don't disappear between the smaller stuff?? Also marking topics as [SOLVED] could help. Plugin Support could use a second layer, so that every 'issue' doesn't need to be squashed together.
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby dequi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:22 pm

topix wrote:
pearbear wrote:it's unclear if the repository will continue to be active as Blackwind was managing it.

Sem;colon wrote:Is anyone able to accept pull requests on GitHub and can build a new release, if required???

I (topic2k/topix) contacted blackwind and asked him to give me write/push/accept PR's rights, but he didn't.
And i am able to build (and surely others here too).

pearbear wrote:I'm also curious why CarsonF is the only "People" listedin the EventGhost organization on GitHub. Does this mean that he is the only Owner in that organization? Again, I think Pako should be added to all these resources(assuming they're cool with that). The inventory would indicate that Pako is the only one with control over EventGhost/EventGhost repository which is definitely not a good thing but maybe CarsonF also has control over it?

As far as i know, CarsonF did the inital convert from SVN to GIT. Then blackwind took over. I think they both have acces to the repository (not sure). I (topic2k) had never access to, i just made pull requests.

pearbear wrote:I think the project would benefit from giving topic2k at least collaborator privileges in the EventGhost repository

Thanks for the kind words :) 8)

Got a response from Carson, topix should have gotten a invitation to the repository

topix wrote:I've set up another repo/organisation and if everyone is fine with it, we can use that for the next betas/rc's/etc.

Can we get back to 1 repository now?
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:06 pm

dequi wrote:Can we get back to 1 repository now?

NAH!!! i like it how it is.. it adds a little flavor. LOL

jokin...

K

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby topix » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:27 pm

dequi wrote:Can we get back to 1 repository now?

No :D
[smartass mode on]
Everyone who wants to contribute to the EG code needs it's own repository to make pull requests to the ONE official repository. :wink:
[smartass mode off] 8)

For discussion about the repository continue here
topix
Experienced User

Postby zian » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:48 pm

I know how I can help...
By NOT BREAKING the forum any more!!!
I did that. This morning. Changed some passwords at GoDaddy and didn't realize without updating board passwords equals break the forum.
Sorry folks.
My fault.
Ian
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:06 pm

it's really not your fault. it's mine. if i hadn't asked it wouldn't have gotten broken...

and you had me all freaked out this morning.. because i was poking around for getting all of the plugins gathered together from the forum.. and i am thinking... shit all i did was backup the attachments database... and i have been working from that and nothing live.. so how did i break it... and then i checked my e-mail and you had responded and the forum error contained some of the information you sent to me...

and i am thinking.. GREAT!!! now everyone is going to think i broke it... because i was talking about parsing the database for he file attachments.

LOL

but this is the very reason why I am trying to set up the redundant server and also a testing server. so if by chance things like this do happen from us poking about it will be transparent to the user that something is broken. and we can also mess around with new things and test without breaking anything on the live server.

i really can't stress how important this is... but this a prime example of why it needs/should be done.

and if there is someone that is more familiar with Linux then I. and the use of Apache and MySQL in a Linux environment that would be extremely helpful and time saving. as i will have to do a whole lot of reading and learning to get everything as close to identical as possible.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:44 pm

kgschlosser wrote:GREAT!!! now everyone is going to think i broke it...

I was totally blaming it on you. I hit the Submit button on a post... SCHLOSSER!! :lol:

kgschlosser wrote:but this is the very reason why I am trying to set up the redundant server and also a testing server. so if by chance things like this do happen from us poking about it will be transparent to the user that something is broken. and we can also mess around with new things and test without breaking anything on the live server.

i really can't stress how important this is... but this a prime example of why it needs/should be done.

Good idea. Also, please consider setting up something like automated backups to a different server that multiple people have access to. My understanding is the last backup was by dequi in September and only they have access to it. Who knows when or if there even is one previous to that. The information on this forum is a very important resource to EventGhost, it would be tragic if it was lost.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:17 am

OooOOO trust you me. i have a backup of the forum
just not all the attachments. or avatars because when you do a backup with phpbb it seems as though it only backs up the database and none of the associated files. pretty figgin stupid if you ask me. because if you go and restore the backup and the files are not in their proper place. what do you think will happen.... it will fail.. stupid.. stupid... stupid.... who in their right mind makes a backup system work like that.. for 1 and for 2 not put any kind of notification that this is how it works and what it does...

when i get the redundant server in place along with a test server there will also be automatic backups made. 2 sets. one for the primary server... made however often as is necessary. and that backup will be put into place each and every day onto the redundant server after the redundant finishes it's backup and compares the 2 and if different then will apply the primary's backup. and the test server.... well it's purpose is to get all f'd up. but that will receive a backup each and every time a user logs into it... LOL

I have thought about doing a mirrored server... but i never understood this.. if something goes wrong in the primary wouldn't it be replicated onto the redundant??? i never quite understood the purpose to mirroring except catastrophic hardware failure. but chances are godaddy has the site and forum protected from that. so we have to protect from a setting foul up or data corruption

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby dequi » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:56 am

pearbear wrote:
kgschlosser wrote:GREAT!!! now everyone is going to think i broke it...

I was totally blaming it on you. I hit the Submit button on a post... SCHLOSSER!! :lol:

I had exactly the same reaction... SCHLOSSER!! :lol:
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:18 pm

hell when i discovered it i spend an hour retracing my steps from the night before to make sure it wasn't something i did. and i kept on saying to myself. what the hell did i do to cause this... kinda of in a panic about it... and thinking what did i change..... what could i have changed to do this..... i did everything to a backup not live data...... drove me nutz for an hour.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby goodcoproflcop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Is this thread about finding users that want to contribute in some way? I'm a graphic designer and could help give the project a more modern look. Like updating the visual identity and suggesting some css tweaks for the website?

Something like:

could be used like:
goodcoproflcop

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:59 am

@goodcoproflcop

I am thinking that you might want to hookup with dequi. possibly the 2 of you can come up with some kind of a kick #^% page. The ghost is kinda cool. Reminds me of a retro lamp shade.
I am not razzin ya at all. I do like it. I like simple. I don't mind a sweet digital backdrop but keep the foreground information and images simple. Keep on posting some more images up. you don't have to go through the whole page design I am interested in the artwork. i do not know if dequi does any artwork. but his/her webpage ideas are great.

I am going to do a little research into a mobile version of the forum and find out which one operates the best. I would also like to look into the ability to be able to upload more then one file at a time. It's quite annoying to have to keep on opening the dialog to select a file.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:29 am

goodcoproflcop wrote: I'm a graphic designer and could help give the project a more modern look. Like updating the visual identity and suggesting some css tweaks for the website?

You might have a read of this thread:
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7382
Which is about updating the website. That should give you an idea of the generally direction things are moving on the project. Dequi has been doing some good work in that direction recently.
pearbear
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to EventGhost News