One anniversary ...

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
Pako
Plugin Developer

One anniversary ...

Post by Pako » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:14 am

I apologize for spam, but I just had to write it here. Exactly 10 years ago I registered in this forum.
For me it is very important, because EventGhost greatly influenced my life.

I am very sorry about the current situation and in particular that blackwind not continue to work on version 0.5.
What we can do to change it?

Pako

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: One anniversary ...

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:04 am

well happy 10th pako. and to be honest with you i don't think anything will change the blackwind thing. I do wish there was someone driving the development of EG. I personally do not understand as to why you need administrative rights to the domains and the hosting as well as the web server to work on the development of EG. and that is what this whole thing seems to be about. I also think that zian may have been told to hold onto the "keys" but there may have been stipulations. I wasn't apart of the EG community when bitmonster took his leave of absence. and i do not know if zian was told that he was going to return. but i do feel there is some kind of reason as to why he hasn't handed the keys to someone else. I do not believe he just wants to let EG just sit here idle. but there has to be a reason. but blackwind removing himself from administrative role on github and providing anyone one else with those keys kind of tells a little story all in it's self. and I guess the only person that does have any kind of rights github is Carson. which from another forum post someone has tried to make contact with him and got no response.

but it could be for the bad, or it could be for the good... only time will tell...
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:23 am

Congratulations Pako! I think it's wonderful that at the same time that EventGhost has greatly influenced your life your contributions have done so much for so many others, including me. EventGhost is an integral part of my life. I couldn't imagine doing without it.

I think it's unfortunate that Blackwind is no longer active in this project but I think we just have to be grateful for all they have done and move forward.

I know the discussion has already dragged on too long in viewtopic.php?t=9068, but the topic of making sure that multiple people have control of the EventGhost resources has not been resolved. I would like to propose that you be given control over any of them you don't currently have. Not with the obligation of doing any work in that role, but just to protect the future of those resources. Of course other members of the community should be also considered but I think most would agree that you have earned our trust so I hope this would not be a controversial proposal..

Do you have any administrative privileges in the GitHub EventGhost organization and/or that organization's repositories?

Topix/topik2k was working closely with Blackwind on the recent development work on GitHub. They have expressed the interest in being given some sort of administration rights to that repository. There are a few different levels of permissions possible, from Owner of the organization to collaborator of the EventGhost/EventGhost repository so there could be some discussion of which level is appropriate. There are people who would like to contribute to the EventGhost application code but if there's nobody with the power and motivation to merge pull requests then there's not much point in making the effort. I'm not sure exactly what level topix is interested in being involved at but I know they have continued to work towards one of the long term goals, the plugin manager.

dequi's involvement in working on the website was the cause of controversy but due to no fault of their own. The permissions were eventually rescinded but in the brief time available they did make some improvements. There may be disagreement over whether giving such far reaching privileges to someone new to the community was a good idea but the gamble has already been taken so I think it's worth considering allowing dequi to continue working as they are willing. We have been discussing ways to move the documentation and wiki hosting to GitHub, which would allow people to easily contribute to the website development without needing any special authorization but, depending on how this is implemented, it may require someone with the administrative privileges over the relevant repository(s) to merge pull requests.

All the plugin developers are continuing to expand the usefulness of EventGhost. It's wonderful to see new plugins released and old plugins continuing to be supported and developed. The forum continues to be an excellent resource with spam being dealt with very quickly and questions being answered. Thanks so much to everyone!

So there may be some turbulence along the way but also it's very exciting to see all the progress! I see that the main barrier now is that the gatekeeper(s?) of the application development are not active and the people who want to be active don't have the ability to do so. Of course it would be a bad idea to just open things up to a free for all but blocking contributions is also not productive. The trouble is that everyone here is a volunteer with other demands on their time but at least it would be nice to know who is in control and get a statement from them on where they see things going. If that statement is "I have no time or interest in doing anything at all" it's understandable but we need to know that so we can act accordingly. That may well involve a fork. There are multiple forks being worked on right now but I think it would be much preferable to not fragment the development work if possible.

dequi
Experienced User

Post by dequi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Indeed a happy 10th anniversary! Congratulations. You are truly a Eventghost veteran and we all hope you'll stay for at least another 10. :wink:
/dequi

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:46 pm

pearbear wrote:I would like to propose that you be given control over any of them you don't currently have. Not with the obligation of doing any work in that role, but just to protect the future of those resources.
Yes! Pako for President! :D Happy anniversary! (Maybe in 6 month's i post a reply with my 10th... :wink: )

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:41 am

well in all honesty the first time i ever tried EG was... hmmmm in 2001 i know this because it was right before the september 11th and i used it with the sony playstation remote. so I guess i am technically the elder here. HOLY CRAP that was 15 years ago!!!!
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image