Forum Attachments

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Forum Attachments

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:15 am

I know that forum attachments are not working. I am not sure as to why they are not and the error is stating that the file stream is to large when it tries to move the file from the temp download directory to the storage location. I am not sure as to why it is doing this as this started yesterday before I made any changes today. I thought I had fixed the error yesterday but I am guessing I did not.

I am going to send a support ticket into the hosting company to see what is going on. any changed I made to the configuration file show in the file but do not actually show up and work. I hope to have this fixed soon
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Forum Attachments

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:30 pm

If anyone has some extensive knowledge of phpBB and thinks they might be able to help out with fixing this problem drop me a line. it has me completely baffled. because if i delete the last post that was made with an attachment it will start working again but only for a single post

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:27 pm

kgschlosser wrote:because if i delete the last post that was made with an attachment it will start working again but only for a single post
Don't know anything about forum software, but sounds like a limit on size or number of attachments has been reached. Maybe the software needs to be updated for a higher limit?

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:56 pm

that's what i thought as well. but is not the case. we have 20 gig total storage and only 3 is used. so there is 17 left. php has a max set to 32 per file. and phpBB is set to 5 meg per file. phpBB has no disk quota set for attachments. and I haven't seen a disk quota setting for php at all. i added a more informative debugging routine to the uploads portion of phpbb and the error stats that the file cannot be moved form the temp directory (which means it has been uploaded) to the phpBB atachments folder because it can't open the stream the file is to large. which is more informative but still cryptic

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 am

ok so now we have an issue. I believe that our hosting company has a cap on the number of files per folder. and our attachment folder has reached that limit. there was mention of phpbb 3.2 possibly adding the ability to have more then one attachments folder. I have not been able to find if it has been added. I am going to have to do a local install and see if it has. and if it hasn't then there is a possibility that we are going to have to shift to a different hosting company

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 pm

well as it turns out the new version of phpbb is not going to be any help. so I am going to start to do some research into changing hosting companies. but i might be possibly able to get them to remove the cap. but it still doesn't change the fact that they suck and aren't worth the $$ so maybe the best solution is to move.

if you know of a hosting company please do post the name and website and I will check them out, i want to find that little gem that will give maximum flexibility combined with a very high uptime.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:19 pm

I have my domains at Alfahosting since six years and no problems. The support response was quick and helpfull if i had questions.

dequi
Experienced User

Post by dequi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:46 pm

I've been looking at the forum source code I had from the backup I made when I still had access. A 'temporary' fix could be to hack the code a bit to store and retrieve the 'thumb_*' files in a different directory. This could clear up the attachment directory with over 1500 files and buy us some time.

I'll see if I can get a local version running and do some tests
/dequi

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:28 pm

the problem is that it's not a simple source code hack I looked into it as well. all the entries in the database have to be changed. I do not know how the relationship is set up. and at this point I am not all that worried about buying more time. and would prefer not to make changes to the database and or the source that we will have to undo once we move the site. and they would have to be undone if we want to upgrade to the newest version of php and phpbb I need to find a web host to lock down with. that process hopefully will be done within the next 2 weeks or so. then I will prep the server and get it online and work through getting the site up. I have a domain already for testing purposes. eventghost.rocks so this will be good for testing out the dns and making sure everything on that end works properly.

I also would like to add a couple of additional hosts forum.eventghost.net, wiki.eventghost.net and github.eventghost.net and point them to where they need to go. I am going to have to set up dummy websites to do a redirect but that is going to be pretty simple to do. Tho i may be able to accomplish through the use the .htaccess

dequi
Experienced User

Post by dequi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm

kgschlosser wrote:... all the entries in the database have to be changed.
not really, I have a local forum version up and running right now where attachments and thumbs are now in different directories, still some testing to do but for now I only changed some code at following locations.

forum\download\file.php - line 304
forum\includes\functions_admin.php - line 1260
forum\includes\functions_content.php - line 852
forum\includes\functions_convert.php - line 611
forum\includes\functions_posting.php - line 513

the only database thing I changed was

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_config VALUES ('thumb_path', 'thumbs', 0); 
to my local test database.

all easily backupable and reversable

have other obligations right now so further testing is for tomorrow. I'll pm you the code changes when finished, you can then do with them what you deem fit.
/dequi

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:44 pm

I love a good hack/fix.

You guys are AWESOME.

GoDaddy SUCKS.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.