Vote for plugin categories

Keep up to date with EG related information here.

Which categories do you want for the plugin database?

TV/Projector
20%
Tuner/Amplifier/Zone Switchers
20%
Blu-Ray/DVD Players
No votes
Theatre Software/HTPC
13%
Smart Home/Facility Management
20%
IR/RF Remotes
20%
Micro-Controllers
No votes
Networking
No votes
Lighting
No votes
EventGhost Expansions
7%
Microsoft Windows
No votes
Other Software
No votes
Other Hardware
No votes
Miscellaneous
No votes

Total votes: 15

topix
Experienced User

Vote for plugin categories

Post by topix » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm

An online Plugin Repository is coming nearer. (Hopefully till the end of the year (as a christmas present? :o )) :)

Now i want to hear from you, what categories do you would like to have for it.
At first this categories will only be used for the online Plugin Repository, but may later also be integrated into EventGhost itself.
In the Plugin Repository you can put a plugin into multiple categories (whatever it fits in).

This poll will stay for while, until i think we have enough categories.
To have categories added, reply to this topic. :wink:

EDIT 27.10.2017: changed the poll options
Last edited by topix on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topix
Experienced User

Re: Vote for plugin categories

Post by topix » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 pm

No one with ideas for other categories? :shock: :?:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 pm

I do not know if a category for still image is really required.

But if we did a better breakdown as follows.

TV/Projector
Blu-Ray/DVD Players
Theatre Software/HTPC
IR/RF Remotes
Micro-controllers
Networking
Lighting
EventGhost Expansions
Microsoft Windows
Other Software
Other Hardware

I think breaking down the categories is a good thing. but instead of having to revamp them again in the future. maybe we should go for the gold and set it up in a manner what would make it easier to add onto. make it so that a plugin can be added to more then one category. As an example the SonyAPI plugin (when it is finished) is not going to be limited to just the Bravia TV's but it will also be able to handle Still/Video cameras, AVR's, Blu-Ray players. And this will give the user the ability to narrow down their searching.

as a thought
possibly add a device model number and software version number compatibility listing. So if the plugin is known to work with Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 then this would be listed under software version number. and if it's a device it would be device model number and the software version would be a tuple of compatible firmware tuples in the same order as the model numbers.

I think it very important to have the Micro-Controllers section as this is becoming more and more popular in the HA world.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

dequi
Experienced User

Post by dequi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 pm

topix wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm
An online Plugin Repository is coming nearer
kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 pm
I think breaking down the categories is a good thing.
I think in the end you are always going to be missing categories and having plugins mapped to wrong categories. for an online repo it's more important to have a good search function with proper descriptions of each plugin than just categories; maybe be able to tag them, so you can have a plugin show up in more than one category (as a rule I never expect to find things where I think they will be :D )
/dequi

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm

I do agree. But the plugin repository is something we have all put a lot of thought and ideas into. and we have/are taking every suggestion or idea and either using a piece of it or all of it. But ultimately how the plugin repository is going to work is really going to change the whole dynamics of how the plugins are currently distributed and also how support is handled for them.

In the future we will be able to add the ability to send off debugging information if a traceback/error takes place for a specific plugin. the user will be able to click a button and it will be sent to the proper support thread for the plugin it will include all of the standard things that are usually needed to be able to figure out what is going on. this is something that will be written into the core. and the user could receive a notification right inside of EG if a fix/solution/request for more information on that problem

One of the biggest things I would like to see take place is a couple of people that can validate new plugins, mainly for coding style/complexity. I have run across way to many plugins where is it easier to rewrite them then it is to try and figure out the voodoo magic in the code. I feel this is one of the biggest things because as we all know plugins get made and the person who created it is no longer supporting it. And what ends up happening is something breaks the plugin and then another person has to pick up where the original author left off and tries to fix it. This task would become a whole lot easier of coding styles and complexity guidelines were put into place and enforced. and at the same time the categories could be handled/monitored so things didn't end up where they shouldn't be.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm thinking about exactly how we might go about categorizing plugins and I'm having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion. I know how I would interpret each category but its hard for me to say how someone else might. Even when I think of simple descriptive like "Point and click remote" for remote controls, that would technically leave out RF remotes. Not every user would understand the difference, and I'm sure there are other scenarios like this one. We could also perhaps categorize them by weather the plugin is meant to recieve data, send data or both. For example a weather plugin recieves data, and the MCE plugin sends data. They do something similar for IFTTT recipies and it makes the whole process seem easier.

I don't think we should blindly emulate IFTTT but having fewer choices helps sometimes. I also don't think categorizing plugins by send/recieve would be helpful. To be honest, I think we should at least keep hardware control, software control, and miscellaneous because its simple, and just about everyone can figure it out. Emphasizing the search function might be a really good idea.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

don't over think it.

a remote control is a remote control plain and simple.

I do not think there should be more groups then 10 named groups and maybe 2-3 catch-all's or Misc groups. I think to many will be overwhelming to have to poke through and to keep organized.

I know we have around 300 plugins which is a very large amount. but i would say 95% of them would fall into the categories very easily. might have to do a little brain scraping to properly fit the last 5%

I do feel the groups

TV/Projector
Blu-Ray/DVD Players
Theatre Software/HTPC
IR/RF Remotes
Micro-controllers
Networking
Lighting
EventGhost Expansions
Microsoft Windows
Other Software
Other Hardware

are the core ones that we should have. the only one we might not need is the DVD/Blu-Ray group. as i do not ever recall seeing a plugin made specifically for one of these things. But as you mentioned IFTTT that would fall into the Networking group.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:35 pm

I like your groupings better than just generic 'ol hardware because it uses specific terms that most will understand. For software maybe we can group them by things like smart home, Media Center Prograoms (Kodi, etc.), Music, TV/Video, etc.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Theatre Software/HTPC

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I like the list of K and would like to change the poll, but i'm only allowed to add 10 choices. @K: could you raise the limit for polls to 20?

TV/Projector
Blu-Ray/DVD Players
Theatre Software/HTPC
Smart Home/Facility Management
IR/RF Remotes
Micro-Controllers
Networking
Lighting
EventGhost Expansions
Microsoft Windows
Other Software
Other Hardware
Miscellaneous

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:38 pm

done!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:30 am

You may select up to 5 options

HMMMM.... But i want to select them all. because I think they all need to be there

well... maybe not the Blu-Ray/DVD one.

But I know i want to select more then 5

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:30 am
HMMMM.... But i want to select them all. because I think they all need to be there
I limited it to 5 to see where the most interest is in. Of course we could have them all ;)

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:02 pm

I also tried to vote for all of them. I could live without the bluray dvd category as well. The only dvd EG plugin i know of is powerdvd anyway.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:41 pm

and Power DVD falls right into that HTPC category also it is not a physical player in the traditional sense.