Common problems and their solutions sticky?

Tutorials & Guides

Common problems and their solutions sticky?

Postby jachin99 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 am

Just throwing this out there but i think it could be helpful if we created a well organized forum or stickies for common problems and their solutions. We could categorize them by Common Windows Problems, Common EventGhost Problems, and Common Problems for Common Plugins. I people working pretty hard on the forum, and it might save a few devs repetitive work.
jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Common problems and their solutions sticky?

Postby topix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 am

wouldn't this be something for a wiki? Only put a sticky topic with the link to the wiki at the forums top?
topix
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm

I am not sure that everyone knows what the wiki is or how to get to it. or how to add to it.

here is the wiki.
http://www.eventghost.net/mediawiki/ind ... =Main_Page

you would need to ask pearbear for permissions to add to it. just shoot him a PM asking for permissions to add something give a brief description and he will grant you permission but will also give you a layout standard to follow I am sure.

The Wiki has been there for a long time tho we have not had the ability to add to it until recently. something got messed up some time ago and has now been fixed.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby jachin99 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:40 am

Adding a whole new page would boost search engine relevancy correct? If so, maybe that would be another way to bring traffic to the site
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:52 pm

it doesn't have to be a new page. as long as keyword hits are there. new pages do help also. but for each specific set of instructions a new page should be created in the wiki for it anyway. so it helps in both aspects. Forum posts help also but i think the specific words are not repeated enough to boost SEO.

so an an example if a plugin is made for a specific device manufacturer and type you many only get a keyword hit once or twice per page for that manufacturer. I mean in all reality how many times is one going to type out something like Weather Underground before calling it WU LOL. So if there is a "how to" done for the plugin in the wiki we just have to remember to make the page titles include EventGhost, Home Automation, Smart Home, Weather Underground. I could have misread but I think with google searches that the page titles are the second thing as far as SEO goes. I believe the list is, number of links to your site from other sites, page titles, keywords. as far as the keywords go I am not sure if this is done on a per site basis or on a per page basis.

@jachin99

SEO is the single most important thing when putting up a website. You need to know the ins and outs of it. SEO changes based on search engines. But the big 3 are Google, Yahoo, Bing. I would learn those 3 at the very least. You can have the best looking site ever made. and it can have perfect content. but if no one can find it then what is the point? and there is a difference between a crappy site and a site with not enough information. tho most people tend to put these 2 into that crappy classification. My definition of a crappy site is a site where it's a pain to find something specific you are looking for. or a site that is way to nested. a site that does not have enough information for 1 hurts your SEO. but also the user cannot find any information they may be looking for because it doesn't exist. we are the latter one. It doesn't have to be pretty (tho eye candy is nice) it has to be simple to find what you are looking for and contain the information people want to know about, well mostly.

There is going to be information on a website that frankly most people do not normally read. for instance the About Us page. this page is mainly there for SEO. it provides a nice place for keyword use. a History page is right up there with it.

I am up for an education as to why when you do a search on google for "Home Automation software windows" EG does not show up. or even "smart home software". or any of the usual keywords that someone would use to locate home automation software. EG has been around for wayyy longer then the top results. and EG has wayyy more links on other pages then they do. but why is EG not listed?
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Boolean263 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40 pm

I do some wiki gardening at work, so I have some experience with wiki layout and content and whatnot. If you folks are up for it, and if I can locate pearbear (no one by that name appears here) for a wiki account, I could see about sprucing up the wiki a bit.

The real useful information would stay on the forums, of course. But the wiki could give more summaries and pointers and whatnot for people who haven't figured out the forum's search box, or who are intimidated by the technical talk.

Edit: Hey, he is on that list! I'm just too dense to find the "Next" button. I promise I'm better with wikis than I am with forums!
Windows 10 Home, version 1703, build 15063.540 · EventGhost 0.5.0-rc4 · wxPython 3.0.2.0
Python programmer for fun and profit. Dabbler in EventGhost plugin writing.
Boolean263

Return to Tutorials & Guides