Webserver and WebSocket

Tutorials & Guides

Webserver and WebSocket

Postby Pako » Mon May 16, 2016 10:50 am

Here in the forum often come questions about the Webserver and WebSocket.
I prepared a simple program and HTML page as an example application.
It includes a "Virtual house" program and the "Virtual house" plugin.
Installation:
1.) You will need a Webserver plugin version 3.12.1 or later. Version 3.12.1 is available for download here. File __init__.py should be placed in a folder EventGhost\plugins\Webserver
2.) Extract the contents of the file WS_DEMO.zip
3.) Folder VirtualHouse contains VirtualHouse.exe program. It can be placed (for example) in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local
4.) Folder EventGhost contains WebserverWebSocketDemo.xml file and two subfolders. In the subfolder plugins, VirtualHouse plugin are located. Subfolder VirtualHouse (including content) move to folder EventGhost\plugins. Folder www-WSdemo could be anywhere.
5.) Using the program EventGhost open the file WebserverWebSocketDemo.xml
6.) In the setting VirtualHouse plugin type the path to the file VirtualHouse.exe
7.) In the setting Webserver plugin type the path to the folder www-WSdemo (as HTML documents root). You can also change the port, if using 8080 already on your computer.
8.) Open your web browser and in the address line, enter localhost:8080 (or another port if you have changed it).
Now should appear Web forms for Virtual house and Persistent variables demo. If program VirtualHouse.exe is not running, house icon should be gray. Click on it!

Now, if everything works, you can learn how it's done.
Especially javascript part (in the index.html file) is important.
Also, I recommend opening a javascript console in your browser.

Pako
Attachments
WS_DEMO.zip
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
You know flattr ? You can Image
Pako
Plugin Developer

Re: Webserver and WebSocket

Postby allalone747 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:51 am

Hi there Pako
Thank you for your tutorial , just brilliant , although I am a novice and no skill or knowledge in script I have to thank you for making the time to also do tutorial .
I hope tha this will be pickup by more forum members , we need your help ,
Thanks a lot
Cheers
allalone747
Experienced User

Postby mbonaccors » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Pako this is fantastic - I modified it and have been using the websocket piece as the basis for realtime communication back and forth between EventGhost and the Website on mobile. I am using an iPhone with iOS, but with the new iOS 10 that was launched, the websocket connection doesn't work anymore! I can't figure out what's happening - now when I access the site it keeps an endless cycle of Connecting and then Disconnecting from the websocket. I cannot figure out what to modify to stop this from happening, and why iOS 10 is breaking things. It is not browser specific either, I have tried both Safari, and Chrome on the iPhone and still having this issue. If I downgrade to iOS 9 it works perfectly, but with the new phones launching next week this will no longer be an option.

Let me know if it is useful to share with you the JS. Code, but I haven't really modified anything you had made in the demo.
mbonaccors

Postby krambriw » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Better donate the new iPhone that you are mentioning to Pako so that he can test ;)
Why share something he already has...
My latest plugins
http://plugins.krambriw.net/index.html

Two men in front of a huge excavator...
- that beast steels work from 100 men with shovels
- well, a 1000 men could do the same using teaspoons
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Postby m19brandon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49 am

My wife just upgraded to ios 10 and now she has no tv home remote. :)

It's returning 1006 on WebSocket connection, so its browser/iOS related. I need to debug some more but there is no real dev console it's going to be fun.

Pako's Tornado Webserver with WS still works on ios 10.

If I figure it out this week, I will post the details.
m19brandon
Experienced User

Postby m19brandon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54 am

Should have tried this first but google found that Apple their content security policy :(
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3949 ... patibility
https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/7772

m19brandon wrote:My wife just upgraded to ios 10 and now she has no tv home remote. :)

It's returning 1006 on WebSocket connection, so its browser/iOS related. I need to debug some more but there is no real dev console it's going to be fun.

Pako's Tornado Webserver with WS still works on ios 10.

If I figure it out this week, I will post the details.
m19brandon
Experienced User

Postby mbonaccors » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:01 pm

What I like about the websocket interface is that I can send events back and forth and also pull variable values form the server into the web interface.

Where is the Tornado Webserver? I can't find this plugin but would love to experiment with it. I also tried looking through the code links about security line, but not sure exactly where to put that in (I put it in my header on my index.html but it didn't fix anything).

Any additional info that anyone finds would be super helpful! Right now my WebApp interface is completely not working :-/
mbonaccors

Postby m19brandon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:50 am

I can't get the tornado Webserver working on EG 5.

Websockets are much easier to managed than long polling.
m19brandon
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:02 am

Tornado is an included package. I don't know if there is an explicit plugin. But you can use the package from a Python script or you can make a plugin.
Brain Test:
How much dirt is in a hole 2' X 2' X 2' ???
-----------------------------------------------------
Your in a house with an all southern view. You look out a window and see a bear....
What color is it? And why?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Tutorials & Guides