Full List of EventGhost Command Line Switches

Tutorials & Guides

Full List of EventGhost Command Line Switches

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:54 am

I have some of the definitions of these switches. is someone knows the rest please feel free to fill them in

the "-" is needed before the switch

-debug
will log eventghost in verbose mode to a file located in the %appdata%\EventGhost folder
-netsend -n
will send a network message
-hide -h
will run eventghost minimized
-install
???
-uninstall
???
-multiload -m
run multiple sessions of eventghost on the same computer
-event -e
trigger an event on startup
-file -f
load a specific eventghost save data
-plugin
this is used to import a plugin from a zip file i am not sure of the specifics of this
-plugindir
directory where the plugins are located
-configdir
directory where the config data is located
-translate
to set the eventghost language
-restart
restart eventghost

again if i have made a mistake please correct
Brain Test:
How much dirt is in a hole 2' X 2' X 2' ???
-----------------------------------------------------
Your in a house with an all southern view. You look out a window and see a bear....
What color is it? And why?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Full List of EventGhost Command Line Switches

Postby pearbear » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:15 am

There is some additional information on some of these at http://www.eventghost.net/docs/commandline.html:
-n <host>:<port> <password> <eventname> [<payload> ...]
This one is similar to the -event option, but sends the event <eventname> through TCP/IP like the ‘Network Event Sender’ plugin does. It will not start EventGhost, so it can be used as a little helper tool for other applications or .BAT files to send events to a remote machine. <host> has to be the IP or host name of the target machine. <port> and <password> are the options that you have configured on the target machine’s ‘Network Event Receiver’ plugin.

-translate
Starts EventGhost’s translation editor.

So that contradicts your description of -translate. This is also supported by http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171. I've never been able to get the language editor to work and I've tried with multiple different EG versions. I see a process start but nothing else happens.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby Pako » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:49 pm

pearbear wrote:I've never been able to get the language editor to work and I've tried with multiple different EG versions. I see a process start but nothing else happens.
Yes, it is a known fact. Some plugins (badly written?) causing it.
You can do a simple experiment:
1) Make a backup of your configuration
2) Create a new configuration, which can be completely empty
3) From the directory ...\EventGhost\plugins move all plugins somewhere away (except basic plugins, ie. EventGhost, Keyboard, Mouse, System and Window)
4) Restart EventGhost
5) Try start the command EventGhost -translate
6) When it works, you can gradually return all plugins
7) When it stops working, you have found the plugin that causes it (it may be several plugins)

Pako
You know flattr ? You can Image
Pako
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:54 pm

how come in order to get to the language editor you have to do it from a CLI switch and it's not done from some kind of option inside of EG? or even at installation time?

I have never looked at how the language bits of eg work. but is there a way to utilize it to do language changes on the fly? for something like an event that is generated dynamically?
Brain Test:
Your in a house with an all southern view. You look out a window and see a bear....
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Pako » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:41 am

For whom are these questions? It looks like for a author of the program.
I am not the author. I'm just an ordinary user.

I believe that currently the CLI is the only option. But surely it is possible to add such an item to the menu and run language editor through the GUI.

The second question. At present, it is necessary to restart the program when changing the language, or if you added some new items translated. Probably it is possible to solve it differently, but I think it would require a disproportionate amount of work. So I personally consider the current state as satisfactory.

Pako
You know flattr ? You can Image
Pako
Plugin Developer

Postby pearbear » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks Pako! I should have read through the translation thread, then I would have found your instructions. I don't actually have the language skills to do translation so I didn't worry too much about it not working but I was curious to see what the editor looked like. It is a good test to make anyways to be sure all the installed plugins are correctly written. The problem plugin was SystemDatabase. I have made a fix for the issue and submitted it to the relevant thread.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:37 pm

thanks pear. i made the system database plugin it was the first plugin i have ever made. and it's kind of funny because i am running into a problem related to this exact same thing in another thread. I am going to task myself with rewriting the plugin today. i have a better way to code the thing anyways using classes instead of a dict. which will allow for an infinate amount of nesting beyond the 3 levels. and i now know how to code properly for the language bits. so i will correct the plugin.

thanks for letting me know.
Brain Test:
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Tutorials & Guides