Brand new to EventGhost - Turning on Samsung TV

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Brand new to EventGhost - Turning on Samsung TV

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am

if i remember correctly there is a USB-UIRT plugin that should allow you to inject the pronto codes directly into the blaster. without the need to use a command line utility. it should also generate events for received IR codes as well.. means you can dust off that remote you have stashed away in the junk drawer for the piece of equipment you don't have any more so you can use it to control just about anything you want.

EG has almost 400 plugins so it covers just about all of the major electronics manufacturers out there as well as almost all of the major HTPC software as well.

If it can speak EG can hold a conversation with it. whether its generating events when various elements change or giving you control of a device or a piece of software it can do it. doesn't matter if it is local. or network attached. USB or IR. internet based... not a problem.

I have a single copy of EG that runs 5 TV's, 5 HTPC's, every light in my house, washer and dryer, climate, every remote control, touch panels, geofencing, sms, e-mail, landscape lighting, menu overlay onto all of the TV's that provide real time device states and weather radar animations. security cameras. the list goes on and on.

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish with the powershell script. It can probably be handled inside of EG if you wanted.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

mkanet

Post by mkanet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:55 am

Awesome! Thanks again. I'll get to play with this tomorrow when I get my extender emitters tomorrow in the mail. If it works well, I'm going to swap out the MCE IR base with a USB-UIRT.
kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:16 am
you can

Code: Select all

eventghost.exe -event "SamsungTV-ON"

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Let me know how everything turns out for ya.

If you have any more questions please fell free to ask. I will help in any way that I can

mkanet

Post by mkanet » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:47 am

I made some really good progress for my tests. I added the web server plugin so I could control my TV via Cortana (using ifttt.com). Now, I can say "Cortana, Turn on my TV".... "Cortana, Turn off my TV"... or "Cortana, Turn off AC". I got the idea from:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ifttt/comments ... ith_alexa/

It all works pretty good! However, I had a little trouble with the MCE helper service at first. For whatever reason, Eventghost couldn't find the helper service file nor could re-install it (even though it was already installed and working earlier and running Eventghost as an desktop Administrator). This gives me more reason to switch the USB-UIRT (which doesn't have an addition unnecessarily dependency).

So... thanks to you guys, I was able to reliably turn on and off my Samsung TV and AC via voice or other ways.

mkanet

Post by mkanet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm

I just wanted to report back. I swapped out my old MCE IR with a new USB-UIRT (with 56KHz IR sensor). That thing works great as an IR "blaster". It's able to reliably/quickly control ANY of my IR devices BETTER than the original IR remote controls. Plus, it's able to receive IR commands just as good.

So, I was able to get rid of those messy IR extender wires that I had taped to my devices (which looked awful even when I tried to hide them as best as I could).

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Awesome.

I do agree with you on the wires for the blaster eyes. I think they are hidious. What o did was I opened up the device located the it receiver and soldered some wires right to the data and ground pins ran the wires to the back of the device and terminated to a headphone plug. So I can inject it codes directly into the receiver without the need to send ir at all. I only did this on devices that had no other form of remote control.

With my Samsung TV what I did was above only for the power on command. I use IP control for the rest. But I attached an arduino to the jack I installed along with a USB that I plug into the TV USB port. The USB is for notification of power changes. Because the 5 volts on the USB port on the TV is only there when the TV power is on. EG knows if a remote button was pressed to turn the TV off. If the TV is on and o turn it off using the button on the TV EG knows this and will turn off all of the other devices as well. (to lazy to look for the remote)

It's a whole lot more involved. But it works.