ZWave options for EG

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
ericross90

Re: ZWave options for EG

Post by ericross90 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 am

Almost every paid app on both the android and apple side use some form of licensing check in system to verify that you paid for the app. Many of them check in with google play store services or the apple equivalent on a periodic basis to keep the app updated and or verify the license. I agree that there is always a chance of a developer pulling the program. In most cases I try not to rely on the iot for control. Smart things is a good example. If they pull support or your internet goes down almost everything connected through smart things no longer works. This is why having a dedicated zwave device that runs locally is a much better deal.

Using event ghost as a client server setup is interesting, but this really does not work for a phone or tablet situation. I know there are people out there who are very good at creating web pages. My limited knowledge in that area was causing me frustration as I could create simple html pages, but could never figure out how to hold down buttons or create slider controls. I did briefly look into creating my own app for android and did create a few controls. However in the end the net io app I found is so much easier and faster to use.

Interfacing with zwave all depends on preference of course. Some people like dedicated controllers with physical buttons and technically if you already have a remote and ir receiver that is easy to set up in event ghost. Others like myself like to have a touch screen on phone or tablet that is semi custom in the way I want it to look. I combine that with voice control using alexa.

I will play around with the zwave program this weekend send some results when I can.

Eric

ericross90

Post by ericross90 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 am

I have installed the program but the pyopen zwave service will not stay running. It turns on for a few seconds then turns off again with message from windows about started then stopped. I made sure to start the gui window before turning on the service. I also see the following in a text file under the directory where the program was installed.

Exception KeyError: KeyError(3952,) in <module 'threading' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\pyOpenZWave\lib\python27.zip\threading.pyc'> ignored
Exception KeyError: KeyError(3192,) in <module 'threading' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\pyOpenZWave\lib\python27.zip\threading.pyc'> ignored

should python27 still be zipped up after install?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 am

I 100% agree with you on the whole internet thing and having software/hardware that depends on the manufacturer to stay operating.

there are more and more manufacturers using the Apple business model. That model is they dictate when you device/software is end of life and make it so that is becomes unusable when they deem it is. I think this is a bullshit business model. as an example. if the compnay EOL's a product. they simply stop letting it authenticate against their servers. this turns the item into a paper weight. when in reality the product worked without problems. the only problem is the company decided that they wanted more money from you. and the cattle (the companies customers) don't see the issue with this and find it perfectly OK that a company does this and they go and buy more of their product (Apple customers) this kind of narrow minded thinking is what is allowing this to take place. because if the masses said "woah! hold up there was nothing wrong with what i had and it was working perfectly until you deemed it EOL. screw this i am not buying any more of your product" this kind of company model would not exist.

Point in fact.. MIOS (makers of MicasaVerde Vera) state that their product does not reply on the internet. and states that you do not have to pay a subscription to use it.. But the funny thing is in order to get into the setup options of the device it requires you to login against their servers. it will not allow you to login unless you can connect to their server. so there is a subscription fee the cost of internet. granted they are not getting the money but it still has to be paid. the device only works without the internet if you do not access any of the setup bits on it. what in the hell!?!??!? ok so if the device is set up when you had an internet connection then you don't have one it will still operate. but the only way to get to that point is you have to have the internet and you have to make sure that you never need to access any of the setup stuff ever again.. FAT CHANCE THERE.

Not relying on a middle man has always been the single biggest thing that i strive for when writing any kind fo code to interface with something else. this is the reason why i do not like services like MQTT. because if the public server changes something it could possibly break your automation system. if you own the device and you update the firmware. then it breaks.. that is your fault, you had the choice of installing that firmware. the same thing goes with software (that does not require a connection to a company server). if the software and the device talk directly to one another there is no chance of it breaking from an outside influence. the only thing that can cause it to break would be from a decision you made, not the decision of someone that is sitting behind a desk in some distant land. that doesn't give a crap about the aggravation they just caused you because their only concern is how much money they think they can line their pockets with.

Now here is a real mind screw.. how does one of the largest companies in the world decide to give away "for free" the ne thing that makes them the most money... how are they making money??? think about Microsoft and Windows 10. and then think about how would giving the software away for free possibly make them more money then selling the software.. Because you and I both know companies do not stay in business if they are not making money from a product they made. I wonder how much personal and private data Microsoft is selling to others. because that would be the only way they would make more money then selling Windows 10. because it is free it is going to get installed on more machines then if they sold it. and collecting data and selling it is a constant cash flow instead of a one time purchase. makes me wonder how many people will read this and rethink that Windows 10 upgrade. and how many people will Uninstall Windows 10.

Same principal with the free Tax Returns in the United States.. why would a company like H&R Block give away the one thing that they make money doing. because they are paid by the federal government to do so. and they are paid to not "maximize" your refund. because if you did get all of the money back that you should this new decreased tax for HUGE companies would not be possible. Go and find a real accountant. A real accountant is a person with a pencil and an adding machine on their desk, they are usually as old as dirt. Those are the people that know tax law. H&R Block did my taxes 3 years ago (was in a pickle, accountant died and I had not found a new one). they did my taxes. and I knew it was horribly wrong. the next year I had found an accountant and he amended the previous return done by H&R block and the return was 400% bigger. WOAH! that's a very large difference. the H&R block person was telling i couldn't claim the interest on my house.. and that i couldn't get a home office deduction, or a deduction for the mileage on a vehicle used for work... because i made to much money. I wonder how many people believe this when it is told to them, it has to be a lot other wise it wouldn't happen.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 am

yeah I know about that error. it happens when the client is closed. I fixed it in the version i have running on my machine.

and yes it should be zipped up. that is how it runs. if you look at the EG installation under lib26 or lib27 you will see python zipped up there as well.
I have changed that as well. it is all a single self contained EXE file.

I will poke about and see if i can find the issue to it closing.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 am

OK i am a ding dong. I figured out why it's not working for ya. i forgot to include the DLL and put in the code to register the dll.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:35 am

ok so here goes.
uninstall pyOpenZwave
open a command prompt as an administrator
key in these 2 commands

Code: Select all

net stop pyOpenZWave
and

Code: Select all

sc delete pyOpenZWave
this is going to delete the service.
go into your program files (x86) folder. delete the pyOpenZWave folder.

go to %programdata%

there could be one of 2 folders in there. i can't remember which, it is either OpenZWave or pyOpenZWave. delete those folders if they are in there

download newest version HERE

run the installer.

I have fixed a lot of the issues with the installer.
The service not running is now fixed as well.

I still have to check the uninstall side of things

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:40 am

I just checked the uninstaller it shutsdown the service and deletes it which was a big step. I have to fix one issue with the programdata location.. as i mentioned in the previous port about the programdata folder and not knowing which folder to delete. well you want to delete the OpenZWave one

This is going to change name on the next release

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 pm

i wanted to give everyone an update on this. I have been working on this a bit with the developers of Cython and Stackless. it appears as tho there was some faulty code in Stackless that was causing an app crash when compiling the Cython code using Stackless. The folks over at Stackless have been working pretty hard at locating and solving this problem over the past few days. Their quick response and repair of this problem is going to allow us to be able to have native zwave control in EG. I have already put together the mechanisms for controlling the devices on the zwave network. the only thing left to do is to make the configuration panels. So expect to see this released much sooner then I had thought was going to be possible.

I can't even express how excited I am for this addition. I have been without my zwave device automation for over a year now because the piece of hardware that I own that controls it (Vera3) was not up to the job. Adding zwave support to EG is something i have been working on for that length of time as well. The end is within sight! I know there have been quite a few people wanting to know what the best option for being able to control zwave devices is. And I am very pleased to say that EG is going to be the best option. you are only going to need a very inexpensive zwave USB dongle and you will only be limited in performance by the power of the PC you have EG running on. It is also going to support zwave+ devices. and I will be able to add new device support as the devices get released.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Can't wait to try it out :D

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Super excited!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 am

HOORAY.

I have a patched python27.dll I will be messing with it in a few hours to see if all goes well. I am so stoked!!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 am

zwave.png

there are going to be 2 actions. a get and a set action in each action it is going to expose all of the available settings for a node (device). you will be able to select the variable you want get/set from a drop down list and if it is the set dialog it will load the appropriate control for the variable. checkbox, spin number, text entry. and if there is a min/max for the spin number it will be set accordingly.

I am almost thinking about possibly keeping this plugin for myself.. :shock: :evil: :lol:

Oh BTW it works without having to do a service as well. If anyone gets a chance shoot on over to this link

https://github.com/stackless-dev/stackless/issues/165

and post a thank you to @akruis for working so quickly in patching stackless (this is the core of EventGhost) for us. If he didn't it would have been months before i would have even been able to release a rough draft of a plugin. He finished up the fix only 12 hours or so ago. that is how much faster it has made this happen. I am hoping to have a release sometime tomorrow or possibly the day after.

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Post by Sem;colon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

I also remember one of our forum members that made a web control surface developer tool and was thinking about selling. I believe he abandoned the idea when little interest was expressed on the forum. At the time I did not realize how difficult it is to create good looking, easy to set-up and well-working web control pages. I wonder if his idea could be revived if he reads this.......
I guess this refers to me, hehe ;)

I'm still not sure how to go on about publishing it...

I'm using it at home of course and still developing it btw.! But much much slower now..

It's still missing an installer and manual ^^°

Some personal things in my life have changed and I don't find so much time for developing anymore

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:56 pm

@sem;colon

if ya need some help with building an installer and doing up a single file compiled executable (so no one uses your code without your permission) let me know. I would be willing to help you with that aspect of it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm