Receiving feedback from Global Cache / GC100

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
mans

Receiving feedback from Global Cache / GC100

Post by mans » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Great day to all of you,

Great forum !
I've been playing with EventGhost now some time and found already some cool actions etc.
Very impressed by the program.

Now looking on how to set-up feedback from my GC100-12 (2x serial, 3x relay, 6x IR/sensor).
Does someone achieved this before or can help me into the right direction.

I did installed the Global cache plug-in already.
I'll need to poll a specific sensor (4:1).
I've tried the cmd request as action of the GC plugin, but thisone polls all relays and sensors and so taken too much time (5 secs approx).

Then tried to send a 'getstate.4:1' or 'getstate.4:1\x0D' command via Python script to the GC100's IP by port 4998.
But no feedback comes back.

Secondly how can receive general created feedback per device ?
Like after each send serial command to serial 1 and 2 ?
I've added the CR command after each serial command (send via Python script).

PS via GC's iTest i can see and find the feedback, as been send back after each serial command.

Thanks in advance for any clue or hint !

Cheers !

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Receiving feedback from Global Cache / GC100

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

the current global cache is strictly for the IR. GlobalCache's API is public so I can extend the plugin. you have to give me a little bit of time to do it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

mans

Post by mans » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Yieha, would be great !

Appreciated sir,

Thanks for the 'feedback' :-):-):-)

mans

Post by mans » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Greatday kgschlosser,

Hi sir, please let me know i've can be of any help on this.
If you need some details or tests done with the GC100, don't hesitate to send me some pre- or beta file.

Another thanks on this !

Steven.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:29 pm

no worries there I will be sending you a revised plugin. It is going to be a little bit before I get to it tho.

mans

Post by mans » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Great Kgschlosser :-)

Looking forward to have both serial ports controllable and receiving feedback via this GC plugin :wink:

Fyi I do succesfully use RS232 to control my pre-amp (no RJ45 available) and Sharp TV but actually missing feedback to EG in order to make conditionals aka actions.
Besides of the serial ports an available 12V trigger from the pre-amp is fet into the GC100's sensor input (4:1).
The goal of this last one is achieving a 100% relailable powering on-event towards my TV (no IR, no CEC).

And sorry for the additional question, but i've just read you're into Domoticz aswell.
I've got rollers, some motion-/temperature sensors, a couple of switched wallsockets (lighting) and smoke sensors hooked to Domoticz.
This by using a Synology NAS with Domoticz installed onto and a Z-Stick 5.
Snapshots of the house's IP-cams (Syno's Suveillance Station) also replicated into Domoticz for 'later' usage.

So ideally having control and receiving states from Domoticz back into EG to create actions/rules/etc.

Finally would like to achieve some kind of general control - touchscreen, which could be on 24/4, to instruct EG.
Achieving control and feedback over Domoticz, the AV equipment and the client renderer of JRiver MC's.

At this moment using a basic 2.4Ghz MCE remote to instruct EG and JRiver MC at the renderer site.
The additional touchscreen would bring 'everything' together - been powered by EG :-)

Sorry for the long post, would be great to receive any 'feedback' on the build (in progress) and i'm pretty sure some steps could be elimated :-)

Thanks !

Steven.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:54 pm

TV power on event is easy to get.

If your TV has network capabilities then you can always set the TV to have a static IP and just ping the bugger with the Ping plugin. Most TV's will power on over TCP with a WOL packet. which means that the TV will not respond to a ping if it is in standby.

also. Take a look at the UPNP plugin I made just recently. I will be willing to bet your TV has bucket loads of things that you can do with it.

Another option for a really reliable power state from the TV is to use an Arduino micro controller and either an ethernet shield for it or a wifi shield for it. There is a guy I know that made software specifically for the Arduino to make it so the thing can communicate with EG. You wire up a USB. only the power and ground wires connect it to the Arduino analog input pins and plug it into the TV. when the TV is on the USB will have 5 volts on it. when the TV is off it will not. the Arduino is able to see this and can send an event into EG. cost is around 15.00 USD

You do not get any feedback from the global cache products. they are only for injecting controls. either into the expansion IR port on the TV or the serial port. It is not designed to give you notifications of things changing like the volume or source. I have not specifically looked at the model that you have. To date I have not come across one that does what you think it is going to do. But I could be wrong and they could have upgraded their products. It has been a while since I have done any API work on them.

mans

Post by mans » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Great day Kgschlosser,

Many thanks for your swift reaction,

Unfortunaly my older Sharp Aquos LCD didn't came with Ethernet nore USB connectivity.

Concerning the Global Cache GC100, i'm able to receive full feedback.
This from the GC100's sensor- and relayports (getstate and changestate) as it also passes the feedback from both the serialports.

I managed this set-up via iRule, but this product isn't supported anylonger and confirmed by many users as unrelailable.
-Both my pre-amp and the Sharp TV does provide feedback after every command send to them as confirmation (CR).
Also the ability to query there state.
Even a graphic volume bar, works, every change of volume does update the bar.

Now as i'm actually moving everything away from iRule and over to EG:

-I can already have EG sending serial commands via the GC100 to both products, by opening the socket (IP:port) and sending the serial command.
And when querying these devices, via opening socket and print, i do see the feedback from them as textlines into EG's log (left pane).
Both done via Python scripting.
But i'm stuck with these textlines.

-I'm 100% sure this isn't the right way, i'm completely unexperienced with EG and have zero Python experience i'm affraid.
My guess is the right EG plugin would help me getting these feedbacks as event.payload and so using them as actions.

Very sure you've noticed plenty things i'm missing and doing wrongly into EG :-)
Thanks again for your help and input,

Cheers.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 pm

If there is something you can think of (relating to HA) that you want to do. EG can do it. EG is not an HA program per se, I think of it more along the lines of a translation program. it allows for devices or programs to interact with each other, when they normally would not be able to. it gives a very easy to use interface for facilitating this interaction. Now if you use that understanding of what EG does. You can really see the benefits of it, and also the scope. EG can go way beyond HA. it can automate a whole lot more then simply your home.

At one point I was helping out with a proof of concept on how EG can be used in a school. To automate some of the Administrative tasks. and to also carry out some of the very simple day to day tasks the teachers would normally have to be trained on. and since they do not have to be trained to do these tasks it frees up some of the budget to be used in better places like the kids. I am not the original author of EG, I stumbled across it and saw the potential and the possible uses of it. and I started to learn. I had no teacher. I had no one to ask for help. so needless to say it was not one of the easier things to do.

But for you it will not be like that. You can ask me anything you want. If I can answer it I will. if i do not have the answer. I will go and find it with you. I am sure you have browser through this forum some. (and if not I suggest you do). One of the things I firmly believe in is not simply handing someone a solution. I will either walk through it with them creating the solution. or I will give a really detailed explanation of the answer/solution i do provide. I believe that with knowing how it works the same knowledge can be applied to other areas of EG. The user will then be able to use that knowledge on their own. It's basically falls right in line with that adage "Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime."

if i can help i always will. if i cannot come up with a solution right away... fear not. i am still working on it. sometimes it can take months for a solution to an issue to pop into my head. i do get burnt out sometimes and need a break from a project. will move on to another. do not take this as i have given up. also keep in mind there is only one of me. i am 43 years old. i have a wife and a house both of which need a lot of attention. i do not sit in front of the computer all day. event tho it seems like i do. i check in throughout the day and answer questions.

ok so that is some historical information and some information about me. so on to the nitty gritty.

the easiest way for me to to be able to help you transition to eg is to have a really good working knowledge of your current setup.

devices (mfg/model/connection type/protocol)
software (name/version)
devices and software that are not currently attached to the system that you would like to see attached.
what you like about your current setup
and what you dislike about it.
what improvements you would like to see made.
device/software interactions. *macros* (an example would be ringing the doorbell and having the volume on the TV muted)

I will suggest ideas that you may or may not like. if ya don't like it then tell me that you don't You are a customer. just because you did not buy EG or it's support does not mean you should be treated any different. You will not break my heart. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. and ultimately you are the one that is going to use the system on a daily basis. So lets make it the way you want it done.

I may suggest hardware that can make things easier. I am a cheap SOB, I will suggest a lot of DIY solutions. this is because it will be the least costly Now I know you may not be an electrical engineer. or a programmer. I am not any of those things either. (only been programming about 3 years), one thing I do not do is I do not lose the race before I even run it. So the words "I don't know how" or "I can't" have 0 meaning to me. I know that I learn by doing, as do most of us. Even if you do not know how.. Try it. What is the worst thing that can happen?? It doesn't work. so you are right back where you started. maybe a little less coin in the pocket. But that spent money is not a loss. You gained an education from it. so call it tuition.

I will give you a really good example. Global Cache products most of which start at around 100.00 USD. The exact same thing can be built in 2-3 hours for around 10.00 USD. and almost always will have greater functionality. Now the way I look at this is. is you spent the 100.00 it is money you no longer have in your pocket. so if you only spend 10. and need to work for 2 hours. you technically just got paid 45 dollars an hour. Keeping money in your pocket is the same as getting a pay check. the other added benefit is if there is something not working right with it. you do not need to submit a bug report, wait for the bug to be acknowledged, and then wait again for them to update the software this process usually take > 1 year if it is a larger company. You will have the ability to go in and fix the problem right away without having to wait. You are also in control of you system. it will not rely on an outside (internet based) "cloud" system. if some change gets made to that cloud your whole system could stop functioning. I'm not good with that. so i will try to stay away from cloud solutions.

I will help in any way possible. Getting frustrated is fine. and is a very normal thing. If you get this way tell me and we can either take a break. or we can move onto another piece of the project. It's amazing because things learned further on down the road will usually lead to the completion of the part you are taking a break from.

If I show ed you code that I wrote from 3 years ago and I wrote it again now. you would be amazed at the difference. I will have to revise some of the stuff i wrote a long while ago. and I think.. "that the hell was I doing"

I will help you in any way that I can. My goal is not going to be getting your project working. My goal is going to be giving you an education so you can get your project working. This way you have the knowledge to extend/add on to it. but also to maintain it. Biggest suggestion I can make is create a new bookmarks section in your browser. if there is some tidbit of information you find on the internet, bookmark it. create a folder on your desktop. label it __DO NOT DELETE__CODE SNIPITS__. in that folder save any coding tests, success or otherwise. label the name of the file so you will be able to remember what it is. read this webpage https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advanced ... operators/ it will save you many long hours of searching the internet. and lastly. if you are stuck. ask me to help. Remember I was once where you are (not to long ago). The single largest bonehead thing that you can do is to not ask for help. Frustration can motivate in 2 different ways, with some it will challenge them, make them want to complete the task even more. Or it will drive you to walk away and give up. unfortunately for most the latter is the case. and this is the last thing I want to see happen.

The true power of EventGhost does not lie in the simple point and click interface. It lies in the python script action. The ability to add python code real time is what will allow you to make EG do everything you want. Python is a language and like every language including spoken, you have to learn the vocabulary and syntax.

OK sorry for the rambling on. I tend to do that. I will give what ever I can to help. But remember the goal is for YOU to build your HA system. So expect a large amount of information coming from me. Exactly like what you see above. Sometimes I will only help by pointing in a direction and not giving the solution. The things we remember are the things we have to work the hardest to achieve.

So let me know where you stand after reading the above book. Remember I am willing to invest my time if you are willing to invest yours.
Time = 1 of only 2 things in life that can never be replaced. With the understanding of what time really means you will have a better understanding of why I typed the book above. This is a very large investment I have to make and I am willing. Just make sure you are as well.

I should post all of the above in a sticky topic. as this applies to anyone and everyone on this forum. either giving help or asking for help.

Also please give me a brief description of your understanding of how the EG event/macro/action system works. I want you to do this in as great a detail as you can this is going to be the starting point. if you understanding is not 100% correct we need to make it 100% this is the backbone of EG and if your understanding is not right it will cause all kinds of headaches down the line.

mans

Post by mans » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi Kgschlosser !

Your feedback is truly appriciated and let me say you're 110% right !
It's all in people's mind and spirit in order to achieve (their) goals :-)

At this moment i'm just starting to work with EG, just because it's such a powerfull program and the scenario's seems to be endless :-)

The more i'm reading about it tells me it's the perfect 'partner' aka solution for my set-up.

Kgschlosser should i send you a copy of what i've already build in EG ?
As i do think i'm missing something i order to get things glued together as i've got some loose ends.

Thanks sir,

Cheers,

Steven.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:43 pm

that would be a great start. send me on over your config file. PM it to me please. You will need to zip the file to send it to me.