Honeywell l5100 Security System Z-Wave

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Honeywell l5100 Security System Z-Wave

Post by Flyingsubs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Has anyone played around with this? I just moved into a new house and it has a security system and I can buy a z-wave module. Apparently it can turn lights on based on the security system inputs. I was wondering if I could leverage this and forward the events to event ghost and have eventghost trigger the action instead of the security system. (honeywell l5100)

Thanks,
Flyingsubs

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Honeywell l5100 Security System Z-Wave

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 pm

let me do some research on it to see if it is something easy to do. But the short answer is going to be yes you can. It just depends on how involved you want to get into doing it. and the solution may not be zwave. I believe the zwave module for those things act more like a scene controller. and you would pair the devices(lights) directly to it. Zwave gets very complex when you start adding additional controllers into the mix. I have not tested the plugin yet to see what it is capable of and how it deals with additional controllers. I am going to imagine it uses the multi instance command class which I know the plugin does not support. I have been trying to figure out how that end of zwave work. I have a landscape lighting controller that acts much in the same way with 6 zones. but it is a zwave controller so it shows up as only a single zwave device. and I have not figured out yet how to turn on and off the individual zones.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:52 pm

ok from some of the light reading I have done on this.

that addition to your alarm is going to do this. It is going to turn the LYNX panel into a zwave controller. you will have to add any devices you want to have controlled by the arming/disarming of the system to the lynx. then you have to shift control from the lynx to whatever control you want to be the primary. then you need to hand off secondary control back to the lynx.

you will NOT get any alarm events from the LYNX and you will NOT be able to control the LYNX (arm/disarm) all scenes created to control any devices for alarm events have to be done on the LYNX they are not accessible for anywhere else in the zwave network. Honeywell did this for security purposes.

I am going to be completely honest here. 100% of the time this is true. if your alarm goes off and the alarm company calls the police... how long does it take for the police to show up??? hell sometimes they don't.. Now if you simply go and purchase alarm sensors and a keypad. set up a scene so when the correct keys are entered on the pad that will disarm the sensors and arm them when the arm button is pressed. if one of those sensors gets tripped an event will get posted in EG which you can use to text message your phone. if you have security cameras bring the video up on the phone and if you see someone that you shouldn't. call thee police and tell them that someone is in your house. How fast do you think the police will get there???... I will tell you how fast.. within a minute or 2 usually because you being the homeowner has made the call. they will 100% of the time show up and 100% of the time get there blazing fast. Another bonus of this is no 40$ a month spent on a monitoring company.

so you get faster response time. they always show up and no monthly fee... hmmmm.... IDK about you but I think this option to be the best.

I would say.. sell the LYNX use the $$ gotten from that to buy ZWave door/window switches (these tend to false less) get a ZWave siren if you want to. its optional. a zwave keypad.. and you are ready to rock and roll...

Now this is where the system shines get a 2000VA battery backup for your computer. because the sensors are battery powered and the zwave controller is plugged into the PC and th PC as well as your internet modem are plugged into the battery backup. system stays running when there is no power. can even have it send you a text message if the power goes out because in EG 0.5 it gives events for changes due to switching from battery backup to Line and vice versa.

TIP: if you buy a used battery backup one with a bad battery you can get it dirt cheap. they are usually either a single 12 volt battery or 2 6 volt batteries wired in series to make the 12 volts. you can put a MUCH larger battery then the ones in the backup. granted it will not fit in the battery backup but with some ingenuity a case can be made. Doing this will give you a lot of extra run time. I have a 5000VA backup that had a 10 minute run time at 50% load. Now i have a 24 hour run time at 100% load. HUGE batteries. look online in your area and find a battery recycling place. I will guarantee you that they have batteries that have been pulled from an office building UPS system. these are 12 volt batteries. very large ones. most of them carry a 12 year warranty. companies change them out every 3 years. they are still 100% in working condition. if you have a company that can lose millions of dollars a minute if their servers go down. they do not risk it. they change them every 3 years period. I know this because I have a buddy that works for the company that has the maintenance contract for doing this work for Microsoft, HP, Oracle.....

I got my 5000 VA (5000 watt) from Ebay for 300.00 USD. i got the batteries from the local recycle place for 75.00 each 4 total each battery clocks in at 250 LBS and has something like 8000 AMPS per battery. I extended the wiring from the battery backup to the bank of batteries. and now I have a battery backup with a very long run time. I wired the battery backup into my house. so it is able to power every light in y house as well as all of my computers, TV's and anything else I want to have access to if the power goes out.

Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Post by Flyingsubs » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:29 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:52 pm
ok from some of the light reading I have done on this.

that addition to your alarm is going to do this. It is going to turn the LYNX panel into a zwave controller. you will have to add any devices you want to have controlled by the arming/disarming of the system to the lynx. then you have to shift control from the lynx to whatever control you want to be the primary. then you need to hand off secondary control back to the lynx.

you will NOT get any alarm events from the LYNX and you will NOT be able to control the LYNX (arm/disarm) all scenes created to control any devices for alarm events have to be done on the LYNX they are not accessible for anywhere else in the zwave network. Honeywell did this for security purposes.

I am going to be completely honest here. 100% of the time this is true. if your alarm goes off and the alarm company calls the police... how long does it take for the police to show up??? hell sometimes they don't.. Now if you simply go and purchase alarm sensors and a keypad. set up a scene so when the correct keys are entered on the pad that will disarm the sensors and arm them when the arm button is pressed. if one of those sensors gets tripped an event will get posted in EG which you can use to text message your phone. if you have security cameras bring the video up on the phone and if you see someone that you shouldn't. call thee police and tell them that someone is in your house. How fast do you think the police will get there???... I will tell you how fast.. within a minute or 2 usually because you being the homeowner has made the call. they will 100% of the time show up and 100% of the time get there blazing fast. Another bonus of this is no 40$ a month spent on a monitoring company.

so you get faster response time. they always show up and no monthly fee... hmmmm.... IDK about you but I think this option to be the best.

I would say.. sell the LYNX use the $$ gotten from that to buy ZWave door/window switches (these tend to false less) get a ZWave siren if you want to. its optional. a zwave keypad.. and you are ready to rock and roll...

Now this is where the system shines get a 2000VA battery backup for your computer. because the sensors are battery powered and the zwave controller is plugged into the PC and th PC as well as your internet modem are plugged into the battery backup. system stays running when there is no power. can even have it send you a text message if the power goes out because in EG 0.5 it gives events for changes due to switching from battery backup to Line and vice versa.

TIP: if you buy a used battery backup one with a bad battery you can get it dirt cheap. they are usually either a single 12 volt battery or 2 6 volt batteries wired in series to make the 12 volts. you can put a MUCH larger battery then the ones in the backup. granted it will not fit in the battery backup but with some ingenuity a case can be made. Doing this will give you a lot of extra run time. I have a 5000VA backup that had a 10 minute run time at 50% load. Now i have a 24 hour run time at 100% load. HUGE batteries. look online in your area and find a battery recycling place. I will guarantee you that they have batteries that have been pulled from an office building UPS system. these are 12 volt batteries. very large ones. most of them carry a 12 year warranty. companies change them out every 3 years. they are still 100% in working condition. if you have a company that can lose millions of dollars a minute if their servers go down. they do not risk it. they change them every 3 years period. I know this because I have a buddy that works for the company that has the maintenance contract for doing this work for Microsoft, HP, Oracle.....

I got my 5000 VA (5000 watt) from Ebay for 300.00 USD. i got the batteries from the local recycle place for 75.00 each 4 total each battery clocks in at 250 LBS and has something like 8000 AMPS per battery. I extended the wiring from the battery backup to the bank of batteries. and now I have a battery backup with a very long run time. I wired the battery backup into my house. so it is able to power every light in y house as well as all of my computers, TV's and anything else I want to have access to if the power goes out.

So I bought the module for the Alarm system and the Z-Wave AEON stick to test. What I really would like to do for now is be able to leverage the motion sensor events. Based on your write up, it seems like I won't be able to. Worse comes to worse I use your idea which I love and basically create my own alarm system. I might do that before I get into the battery stuff. Do you have any recommendations for a keypad, door and motion sensors? I let you know what I uncover tonight.

Thanks,
Flyingsubs

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:47 am

I do know that some motion sensors are better then others.. Make sure you get ZWave Plus for whatever devices you get. these have reporting capability instead of having to poll the things for a state change.

I would get a battery backup for your PC. just get a basic one something around 100VA that can hold your PC up for 20 minutes. this is going to handle any small glitches in the power.