Screensaver problem

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
someguy1

Screensaver problem

Post by someguy1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:39 am

When I manually start a screensaver and then press a remote key to turn it off via EG it works.
But when my windows is set up to start a screensaver after a certain amount of time then EG cannot turn it off.

The keys I press with the remote all register in EG eventlog: mousemove, keystroke, application launch; everything. But none of them actually do what they're supposed to when the screensaver is on, and EG can't take the screensaver off.

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Screensaver problem

Post by jachin99 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:40 am

Have you tried disabling USB selective suspend under your advanced power options

someguy1

Post by someguy1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:30 am

Err what's that gotta do with it? When I press a key on my actual keyboard or move my physical mouse the screensaver turns off as normal. It's just EG that cannot do it.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm wondering if when windows starts your screensaver it also starts to turn things off to save power, like your USB inputs. If your manually starting a screensaver before windows power saving settings kick in, then things like your usb ports might not be put to sleep. I know you said EG still registers your keystrokes but maybe some other process is being shut down or put to sleep.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 am

And what plugin/remote are you using?

someguy1

Post by someguy1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:58 am

Well I tried setting USB selective suspend to disabled, didn't help.

I'm using Microsoft MCE remote and the latest plugin for it (MCE vista). Windows 10.

I tried with more screensavers. Seems for some of them I can't turn them off even if I start them myself. But when I start these ones, as mentioned, EG registers everything I press, but it's like the screensaver puts EG in no man's land, nothing works. However when any screensaver turns on itself then nothing I press even registers in EG. The only thing in eventlog is this after a screensavers turns on itself: System.ClipboardChanged

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 pm

you will need to use the Find Window action and locate the screen saver. The screen savers are best found by using the process name. You can locate the process name by installing the Task Monitor plugin and then simply testing the screen saver. this will cause an event with the screen saver process name.
Each flavor of the screen savers have different process names. Once you locate the process enter that name into the Find Window action.

I cannot remember if using the Send Keys action after the Find Window will shutdown the screen saver or not. You may need to use the Move Mouse action. and again I do not remember if even that will work You might have to kill the process by using the Run Program action with "taskkill /F /IM screensaver.exe" replacing screensaver.exe with the process name you got from Task Monitor.

What is happening is the screen saver is gobbling up all of the keystrokes. and for some reason I believe it will gobble up all of them but only one that comes from user input (physically pressing a key) will disable the screen saver. The same might hold true for the mouse as well I do remember having this same conversation on more then a single occasion so search thee forum for screen saver and I am sure the topic will be in the search results.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 pm

You can test the power saving this pretty easily. most IR receivers do have an LED on them. when the screen saver s running test the remote and see iif the led blinks. if it does not have an LED then things get a bit more complicated.

in Device Manager locate any drivers that have either CIR or ehome in the name. go into the properties for the driver. and make sure that any power saving is turned off.

then you will want to do the same thing for all of the USB root hubs.

Then open up your Power settings. and edit the Power Profile. do an advanced edit. in there is going to be yet another place that does a USB power saving deal.

You will also want to check the BIOS on your computer. Sometimes there are power saving options for the USB ports in here as well.

Even tho the screen saver is running you should get events in EG for various things taking place. the screen saver will alter EG's ability to interact with the desktop. for things like keyboard emulation and mouse emulation. It should not stop an MCE Ir remote from working. because there is a service that is running that grabs the code from the Windows API and passes it onto EG. A screen saver is a program just like any other program. it is just designed to be "always on top" and to cover the entire screen. and it is also at the top of the Z Order (in focus). that is why it changes EG's desktop interaction ability. I believe it gets it's self lodged into the first position for receiving Windows Notifications for keyboard and mouse and it then stops them from propagation to other programs
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image