New user wondering if my idea is even possible

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
ksheyman

New user wondering if my idea is even possible

Post by ksheyman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:55 am

Hey guys! I'm a long time user of Home Assistant and found out about your cool community when I was trying to figure out a way to trigger an automation in home assistant every time I open Rocket League. To my pleasure I was able to achieve that goal in like 15 minutes! Love eventghost so far (after being a user for like an hour).

So I have an idea and I am uncertain if it is even possible.

I want to get eventghost to automatically switch my sound card output to my headset whenever I join a Discord voice chat, and then switch back to speakers when I leave the discord voice chat.

I know it probably isn't possible to listen for specific events or even button presses in the discord window itself, so here are my two alternate ideas:

1) eventhost generates an event when my computer connects to whatever port/server is used for Discord voice chat
2) (this one seems kinda janky) eventhost generates an event whenever I click in a certain area of my screen (the voice connect button). my discord window is always in the same place.

Are either of these possible with EventGhost? Does anyone know of any other options I haven't thought of? Thanks so much! Really excited about the possibilities with this platform!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: New user wondering if my idea is even possible

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:03 am

I would need to do some more investigating into the discord chat program. If they have any kind of an API then you may be surprised at what can be done.

Unfortunately we had a really bad server issue that caused the loss of our forum attachments. While I do have many of the plugins I may not have all of them or even the most recent versions of them.

I do however have an experimental interface into Windows Core Audio. It may still have some glitches in it will accomplish the task of allowing you to switch inputs and output and also the sound card in use. It also generated events for audio playing and stopping. It also provides master volume control as well as adjusting the volume on a specific channel (all 8 channels). you can also change the gains on input devices. this includes microphones as well.

The core audio plugin is attached.

I will take a quick look into the chat program and see what I come up with.
Attachments
CoreAudio-0.1a.egplugin
(135.28 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: New user wondering if my idea is even possible

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:07 am

as it turn out discord chat has a pretty extensive development API.

https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/intro

I am not familiar with the verbage used for the specific components of the application, you would probably be better at determining if the bits needed to accomplish your task are available via the API.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image