event ghost not starting with windows 10

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Beau

event ghost not starting with windows 10

Post by Beau » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi All I am running windows 10 eg is not starting when windows starts

how can fix this

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: event ghost not starting with windows 10

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:41 am

first off I am going to change your perception of when EG is supposed to start..

There is no option to start EG when the system starts..
There is an option to start EG for a specific user..

what that means is EG will start when the user logs into the PC.

I do not know if that is what you are expecting or not..
If you have a virus scanner it may have removed the startup bits when EG added them.. all EG does is it adds an icon to your startup group in your applications menu.

If there is something blocking the addition of programs into that group EG is not going to start.. If you log in under a different username EG is not going to start. EG is not going to start if you have a power outage and when the power comes back on so does you PC. this is because no one has logged into it.. You can search google on how to set up an automatic login for windows.

It is always going to be a recommendation to use EG on a dedicated computer. You can pick up a used PC for probably 30 bucks and it will be sufficient to run Windows 7 and EG.. this you would set to do the auto login so your personal data on an everyday use PC is not exposed.

I picked up a nano pc and run a test copy of EG on it.. it's a 2 core 1.0 GHZ fan less PC..It is a little bigger then a PC DVD drive so maybe 5.25" x 1.5" x 7 or 8 inches. the one I got was bare bones. so no ram or HDD.. found a 35GB MSata SSD for 15 bucks on sale and grabbed 2gb of SODIMM (laptop memory) i think for 10 bucks open box. downloaded Windows 7 thin PC which only uses 10GB of HDD space and 600 meg of ram. slapped EG on it and away we go. video card handles 1080P video playback. has WiFi and LAN.. it also has an HDMI on it. sound.. all the usual PC kind of crap..
Did i mention it's fan less?? so now I have a whole house controller that can handle all your home automation needs.. this cost me I think 60 to 70 dollars USD total. other companies sell things with similar specs for over 1000 dollars... some people like getting that stick pushed right up in there..

I have been running that thing for the last 5 years 24x7.. it works.. it does it's job without any BS no fans to go bad.. no fans to suck all kinds of crap into it. I did make a modification to it.. since i has an all aluminum chassis the ding dong engineers didn't think to use that chassis as part of the heat sink for the CPU.. so it didn't like being laid flat because there was no convection to get rid of the heat.. I extended the heat sink the 1/4" so it is in contact with the chassis.. no more overheating if it's laying flat..

You can find these things used and a lot of times you can also find them being brought to recycle centers.. they are typically called thin clients. they were used to connect to server that hosted virtual machines... Be careful to read the specs.. some of them were literally dumb terminals. they would boot the VM over the network without the need to have an OS installed on it. so make sure it has space for 2gb of ram and you can plug in a sata HDD (laptop).. I believe you can still download Windows 7 thin PC for free. it is EOL and only useful for scenarios like this.. so Microsoft decided to just let people use it.

But here is a great example..

39.95 USD dual core intel atom @ 1.8 GHZ with 2GB of ram and a 250GB HDD.. lan, hdmi, esata, usb, audio, spdif.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Intel-Mini ... CX7PJ074RB

spend 30 more and you get intel i3 2.5gHz dual core 4GB orf ram a 500 gb HDD e sata, gb lan, wifi blueteeth usb 2.0 and 3.0 DVI, HDMI, S/PDIF, audio and also a 6 in 1 card reader.

that's a good deal for 70 bucks free delivery also
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-i3-3120M-B ... VFY381TPQM

These things are both way higher power then what is needed to run EG,

look at this shit

HomeSeer HS3PRO
Intel Celeron 3205U CPU (1.5 GHz, 2 core)
4 GB RAM
120 GB hdd
2 rs232 ports, usb 2. lan and hdmi...

1199.00 USD.. HOLY what the !%$$%#%#$%#

https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/s ... t-home-hub
but it includes their 400 dollar software for "free" (not telling you that everything is added via plugins and the plugins ain't free)
but even still take 400 off the 1199 and you have 800 dollars left for a computer that could be bought for probably 20 bucks. now that's how you should rip people off. just spit right in their face as you collect their money.. I still do not know how they are still in business. there must be people buying them..Those are some not so smart people.. But the above for 70 and spend the 400. you get better all the way around and it's 1/3 of the cost.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Beau

Post by Beau » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:20 pm

I am fine with it starts when the user logs in but it not doing that
the icon not showing up on the taskbar
how can I fix this

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:07 am

is there an icon in the startup group in your application menu?????

Beau

Post by Beau » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:12 am

yes there is

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:35 am

Then it should be starting. Maybe it is starting minimized.. have you checked your task tray??

Beau

Post by Beau » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:09 pm

it does not show up
if I right-click the icon and uncheck the box run as admin it works
does it have trouble with UAC

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 pm

No. it is designed to work with UAC..

I am wondering if you have the processing of the startup group disabled...

run this command in Windows

Code: Select all

msconfig
msconfig comes with Windows. It is a small utility to manage the startup process of Windows. Be careful doing the wrong thing could cause you issues.

right on that first screen you see.. make sure that selective startup is not selected. if it is selected make sure that Load startup items is selected.
then click on the startup tab. You should see EventGhost in there. make sure it is checked.

if any of those things are not correct let me know.
I you have a virus scanner installed in the system this could also be getting in the way. this can happen because of some of the windows API that EventGhost attaches to. disable that antivirus software to see if that is doing it. (this includes any active malware software) windows defender and windows anti-malware should not cause an issue.. it's the 3rd party applications i am concerned with.

disabling is only temporary. if we determine it is one of those causing the issue I am going to need the name of it along with the version. then I can provide you instruction on how to add an exception to it so it will not block EventGhost from working properly.

Beau

Post by Beau » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi
all settings were set to what you to what was in your post
it only starts if the bottom box is unchecked
even with UAC and windows defender disabled

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:02 am

the run as administrator??

UAC is needed in order for the runas commands to work.

EventGhost does not set that item as checked...ever... it would be a security issue.

therealbiglou
Experienced User

Post by therealbiglou » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 pm

One thing I had to do was toggle Eventghost to "on" in Startup Apps. Open your start menu, start typing "startup," and open Startup Apps. You'll see EventGhost.exe with a toggle switch. Make sure it's set to on. This fixed the issue for me.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:14 pm

you should also be able to "toggle" it to on if you run the command line program

Code: Select all

msconfig