Google Assistant ---> EventGhost events

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
mkanet

Google Assistant ---> EventGhost events

Post by mkanet » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:28 pm

I was able to successfully setup EchoToEventGhost to have Amazon Alexa trigger EventGhost Events (thanks to creator of EchoToEventGhost):
viewtopic.php?t=7429&f=2#p54675

However, I'm curious if anyone has done the same thing with Google Assistant. I searched but, couldn't find anything.

I know there's a clunky way to do it on Android with AutoRemote/Join (joaoapps.com). However, I don't want to depend on my mobile phone for stuff like this when I already have a dedicated Windows server which also runs EventGhost.

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Google Assistant ---> EventGhost events

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:34 am

I remember looking into ifttt for something like this and it's probably possible but I never got too far with it.

mkanet

Post by mkanet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank for taking the time to respond. I will check IFTTT to see.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 am

I would recommend going the ifttt route in case you need it working without a running pc ....
but its always better to ditch any 3rd party whenever possible ... So I think the autovoice plugin from chroem browser is the best ;) ...

Its basicly using the free webspeech api and has option to forwards the input to eventghost ... but you need a mic and a running pc ... youn can select your own hotphrase ... or none at all with that plugin

mkanet

Post by mkanet » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:08 am

Thanks I actually already use IFTTT for many automations; including sending http webhooks to my EventGhost webserver. I really don't like the idea of involving my clunky mobile phone or a web browser; especially, since I already have a dedicated Windows server (which also runs EventGhost) ...and prefer the higher-end mirophone arrays that come with dedicated home assistants.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:48 am

Fair enough regarding the extra overhead of a web browser.
But with a decent mic ... there is no difference in what the mic picks up.

With google or alexa you have to "speak the hotphrase decently lound"

while with a mic setup + autovoice chrome extension I can whisper the hotphrase .... so there is no threshold...
But I can see this is done by design .... for those devices

Those are small details ... but they make the difference for me ;) ....

Anyway just throwing in options here ;) ...
But since this alexa skill is about "echo to eventghost"

you definetly have eventghost running on a pc ... so why not use the running pc , get a mic and ditch the overlord that demands you call it by name ;) ... jk

I can see no reason why not ... running chrome in the background should only be an issue if you have a low ram pc ...

this aproach is not really restricted to chrome ...

We just using chrome since that plugin exists ;) ... and chrome is the most used browser anyway ...