Stream Deck and EG

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
cableghost

Stream Deck and EG

Post by cableghost » Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 pm

I would like to execute commands/keystrokes via Elgato stream Deck that EG could recognize. I'm at a loss as to how they could interact. I've tried several ways of sending Windows keystrokes, but EG doesn't recognize they've been sent. Any ideas? If you don't know what this is, I provided link below.

Stream Deck: https://bit.ly/3dkvY4t

therealbiglou
Experienced User

Re: Stream Deck and EG

Post by therealbiglou » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 pm

I have one and trigger events by having the buttons open a program and adding a command line in the file path to EG:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\EventGhost.exe" -event YourEventNameHere

cableghost

Post by cableghost » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Thank you.

Specifically, I needed to add 'Main.' to the Event name in EG, like Main.YourEventName... maybe that's a given, otherwise this worked perfectly.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:06 am

This is going to work better for you.
Attachments
StreamDeck-v0.0.1b.egplugin
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

cableghost

Post by cableghost » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks KG, though I'm not understanding how to use this plugin. After install, there's no configuration for the plugin.

1) How does one use the 'Device Connected' Action?

2) How do I get the plugin to watch for SD button presses?

This really seems like a plugin to control SD, not read from it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:46 pm

the reading happens automatically.

when you have the thing plugged into your PC and you press a button you should get an event in EG for that button being pressed.

the Is Connected would return a true false. This cannot be seen by you without a little help. after the action place the Dump Result to Log action. This will print out what is being returned from that action.

All of the Get Actions work this way. The reason for them is you can use the Jump If action after it to be able to apply some logic to your macros. And you also have the Set Image action that can be used. Now this is the nifty thing. you can set specific buttons to be say "device buttons" for controlling various pieces of hardware. when you press one of them you can then have EG load up a new set of button images and this could be buttons for controlling that specific device. this would give you the ability to have a limitless number of buttons just about.

If it is not working then try disabling their software and see if it work them. It shouldn't matter if their software is running or not but you never know.

cableghost

Post by cableghost » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:25 pm

The 'Dump Result to Log' Action indicates 'False' after executing the 'Is Device Connected' Action. Not certain what that exactly means in this context, as the configuration dialog does not have any SD listed.

If I close SD software, the SD goes into some type of sleep mode.

Overall, EG recognizes the Windows end-result that I have a SD button do, but it doesn't appear EG is recognizing my SD specifically.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Hey I just literally whipped that plugin together in an hour or 2. I do not have one of these devices so I am not able to test it. So I am sure there are going to be some issues we will have to work through as you see with the error.

One other thing I want you to try. I want you to shutdown any and all software you have running on the computer that talks to the thing. everything except the drivers. Lets see if the device only likes one thing talking to it at a time. That could be happening as well.

That error you see in the log is supposed to be there. it is because you have not selected a device to use. and I know once you open the dialog for the action there is no device to select. That brings us back to my statement above. we need to sort out why the device is not being seen. I suggest you close any software that communicates with the thing. I know that you are probably using their software to control different things on your computer. With EG their software is going to be obsolete. EG has way more power and control. I know you were triggering events using the command line from their program. If we get this thing going you are not going to have to do that anymore. It will all be a single self contained solution.

cableghost

Post by cableghost » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:56 am

I don't believe there's any other program talking to my SD. SD acts like another keyboard of sorts. The only reaction it has to anything is with Profiles, i.e. change it's screen when I open a specific program. None of those programs are open. I cannot close the SD software without my SD becoming unresponsive.

Here's a link to their developer page:

https://developer.elgato.com/documentat ... /overview/

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 pm

I am aware of the SD becoming "unresponsive" and that is fine if it does for the time being. EG can be used (if you want) as an alternative to their program. You can use EG to set what the buttons are supposed to be based on the application you have in the foreground. I do not know if the SD software will change the "profiles" based on what app you are currently using or if it only works with what application you have running. With EG you can even go to the extent of loading a different set of buttons depending on if you have an application set as full screen. This is handy in an HTPC kind of a scenario. shoot you can even change the buttons on the thing depending on what screen you have the mouse on in a multi monitor setup. I do not believe that SD's software would be able to do something like that.

Here is another I am willing to bet that SD's software is not able to do.
If you want to use the SD to say control a TV in your Home. You can do this with EG. But this is the trick. EG would be able to load up the buttons on the SD when the TV gets turned on. It can also load buttons for you based on what the TV's source input is set to. Now I know that would not be possible to do with SD's software.

cableghost

Post by cableghost » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm willing to toy with this, if we can figure out how to get EG to recognize my SD.