CEC Adapter not waking amp

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
nairnmonster

CEC Adapter not waking amp

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I bought a CEC-Adapter about a week ago. Setup was painless but the customization has been my downfall.

So my TV is connected to an Onkyo TX-838 amp, then to the amp is Sky and my HTPC. Everything passes through the amp to the TV.
CEC has been enabled on the amp and Sky is able to turn this and the TV on. The CEC adapter using a batch file from the pulse-eight site didn’t work. For some reason it wasn’t waking the amp or changing source and was through-putting to the TV. The TV would act like it was about to change source but would just revert back to the active Sky connection.

I messaged on pulse-eight and was advise that I should try “Install Eventghost, then run the latest libCEC installer and install the EventGhost plugin” So I followed instructions for this on the EG website.
Once complete, it acted in the same way as the batch file expect it would also try and change the audio output for the amp.
I tried to change and edit with the macro but to be honest I don’t know what I’m doing with this and have no real understanding if it all. I also seen there was an option for Raw input. But again, couldn’t for the life of me work this out.

So, on the pulse-eight site, the install also adds “Cec-tray”. This when started would wake and change the source of the amp. So, I know there was a way to get my desired setup.

I came up with the following solution. It’s not advanced in anyway, but it is working flawlessly at the moment.

I have cec-tray set to start with windows “minimise when connected to adapter disabled as this crashes cec-adparter when started from sleep” So when I wake the HTPC it will change the source on the amp. Then to allow if the HTPC has been left on to change source. I made a batch file that kills, Emby, cec-tray, clears the orphaned notification left by cec-tray then restarts Emby. The reason for the close of Emby and restart is when cec-tray reopens it becomes the top level window and this means the remote cannot access Emby and unlike MCE if I press the green button it will not bring Emby back to the front because the green button is now mapped to start an application “Emby”.
I used AdvancedMCERemoteMapper to beind two F keys to open the batch file for cec-tray and the other to open Emby via AutoHotKey.

I've added some snips to show it.
CEC-TRAY.JPG
BATCH FILE.JPG
AUTOHOTKEY - KEY BIND.JPG
Basically, I was hoping to have a single app, that when Windows wakes, it sends a cec signal to the amp to change source/power-on and map a button to my remote to change source if the HTPC is already on. But I don’t know how to do this with EG.

I’m sorry from the story as long as the bible, I just thought best explain it all.

Thanks

Steve

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: CEC Adapter not waking amp

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Hey Steve Welcome to EventGhost.

I should be able to walk you through how to set up what you are wanting to do without a problem. EG has a minimalist approach and that can sometimes throw a person off. The first thing I am going to need you to do is stop making batch files for things. EG is capable of doing everything you want internally. So there is no need to use them.

The second thing I m going to need you do do is to rewind a bit. we need to go backwards. I need you to uninstall the CEC driver package completely from your PC. This will need to be done from the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

I m going to need you to go to the CEC plugin support section on this forum. On the first page there is going to be a couple of downloads. Download the driver and also the plugin from that first page. Install the driver. DO NOT install the EventGhost plugin when the driver prompts you. This is an old version of the plugin and we do not want to use that one.

Once you have that done then double click on the EventGhost plugin you downloaded. This will install the plugin we want to use.

Lets get the above done and then I will instruct you how to go about setting everything up.

Key thing is remain patient I know this is an exciting thing and you want to get everything running yesterday. CEC can be a fickle protocol and we may have some things we need to work around. EG is by far the most powerful program available when it comes to anything IR remote based. and with that power also comes complexity I will walk you through each of the things you need to do to get your remote working properly.

Lets start with getting the CEC driver packages installed and getting the plugin installed and we can go from there.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:30 pm

OOOO one other thing. While I do realize that the CEC tray application does what you need it to do. It is an unstable application and I would not recommend using it. The other thing is that the cec tray application does give you a place to select the device that the CEC adapter is plugged into. I do not believe that this actually does anything. It is recommended by Pulse Eight that the CEC adapter ONLY be plugged into the TV. this is because of how some devices handle CEC traffic when the device is not awake. or a source is not set..
It is always best to have it plugged into the TV. In the plugin config dialog you will see where you will need to enter the HDMI port number on the TV that the CEC adapter is plugged into.

I am going to tell you how to set up the powering on and off of your CEC devices.

EventGhost is an Event/Action based program. So when an event occurs you want specific actions to occur. There are no settings like you see in the CEC tray because EventGhost can do the same thing but with a lot more functionality being added. The CEC tray application does not have the ability to make logic decisions. EG does. you can evaluate different things that are happening and EG can make pre programmed decisions depending on how you have your system set up and what you want to do when specific conditions are met.

This is a fantastic example of how powerful EG is. If you have any teenagers or younger ones you can set up EG to do things like restrict the volume on your home theater system when you are not home. This is something that can enable if you leave your house and disable when you get back home, you would not need to press any buttons or remember to do anything that can all bet set up to happen automatically. once active if EG sees the volume on the receiver go past a certain level EG will then tell the receiver to turn the volume down to an appropriate level.

With EventGhost running put your computer to sleep and then wake it up. Then look in the log in EG. You are going to see events for the computer going to sleep and the computer waking up. EG was designed to be simple. Those events in the log (lines that have the lightning bolts) are the core of EG. Those are things that are happening in Windows, or with any other device you have connected to EG (this requires a plugin for any external devices or software, there are close to 400 plugins available for EG). A macro is simply a container, it holds actions and events. The actions are the things you want to do and the events are what causes the actions in a macro to run. A macro can hold more then a single event. and also more then a single action. EG is a drag and drop interface. events can be dragged from the log and dropped into a macro, I recommend that until you become more familiar with EG use this drag and drop mechanism for adding the events to the macros.

Now I have given you the basic idea of how EG works.. I am willing to bet you will now be able to create the macros needed in order to turn your devices on and off depending on the system sleep state.

Oh I wanted to mention one other thing. When you add a macro it is automatically going to prompt you for what action you want to add to that macro. Actions are broken down into groups. Those groups are the plugins those actions belong to. So for CEC specific actions you will expand the groups for the CEC plugin to see all of the actions available. It is then going to become really clear why the CEC plugin in EG does not have simple check boxes like seen in CEC tray.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

That is everything done as you instructed matey.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Oh, I just read the second message you sent. Having this plugged into the TV isn't going to work. I need the audio passed through the amp and my TV is old and does not have the ability to pass anything from it. So I need the amp to be the device that is woke.

Is this not going to be possible eith EG?

Also, I did try all this with EG and the plugin before. But it would not change source on the amp only pass through to the TV and fail.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:57 pm

hey no worries m8. This is why I am here. There is going to be a learning curve. If there is something you do not understand fully speak up and let me know. I try to keep my directions as simple as possible. In the event I talk over your head let me know. There are things that I may instruct you to do that cause you to si there and blink a few times and then think "what the hell is he talking about". Letting me know that you do not understand something is really important. Some people do not want to do this because they do not want to seem less knowledgeable, and the true person that is less knowledgeable is the one that does not speak up and say.. "Hey I don't understand" This is an extremely important part of learning. I am not a teacher, I am a computer nerd I do my absolute best to keep the "geek speak" to as minimal as possible. I do not know your aptitude or learning curve. I also have no knowledge of what you may or may not know, so I treat everyone the same. If you have a higher computer IQ then most let me know this. Tell me that you know what a context menu is. and what a drop down is and I will not have to spend the time detailing how to bring these things into view. Please Please Please never take anything that I say as any kind of an insult to your intelligence level.

I never know who I am talking to for all I know you could be Einstein or you could be Rainman, I never assume anything so everybody gets the same treatment. Most people that are new to EG get this kind of an introduction from me. There is a reason why this gets done but we will not get into that other then it is best to put these things right out in front.

In the years of my existence on this planet and also with the years I have spent helping the users that run EventGhost I have come to a single HUGE revelation.

It is ALWAYS the smallest thing that gets overlooked that causes the largest problems.

I will always type things out to be as complete as possible. I like to try to explain things to their fullest. I have been been told on more then one occasion that it is extremely helpful that i do type out complete and detailed instructions. the revelation above is the single reason why I try to be as detailed as possible. Less mistakes get made this way.

Most programmers tend to have a "god complex" This is not me. I am 100% self taught. 5 years ago I as where you are now. big difference is there was not a person like myself available to help. I had to figure everything out for myself. This was an extremely hard thing to do. I do not want to see anyone have to do that. I am here, I will help, I will answer any and all questions that I have the ability to answer. In most cases if I do not have the answer me and the person that is asking will spend the time to get the answer.

I will a lot of time not directly tell you how to do what it is that you want to do. I will give you the information needed so you can do it yourself. Just like I did above. I do this because when you do for yourself you will remember. It is also great to figure something out and put it together yourself. I can say this, There is no better feeling then self accomplishment and PRIDE. So when someone asks you wow this is a really cool home automation setup, what system is this and who installed it.. You will be able to say "Mine" and "Me" I will bet that there are quite a few users that will agree with that statement wholeheartedly.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:08 pm

lets rewind. You can plug the CEC adapter into the TV and plug your PC into the AVR separately. There is no need to have the PC HDMI plugged into the CEC adapter and then to the TV. This ability is only there to minimize the number of cables needed. This is what it will look like

Code: Select all

TV  ---  HDMI  ---   AVR                             
 |                    |
HDMI                 /
 |                  / 
CEC                /
 |              HDMI
 |              /
  \            /
  USB         /
     \       /
         PC

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:11 pm

I get you, people don't learn if you always do it for them.

I've tried again, but still doing the same thing. it will not change the amp and keeps trying to mess with the TV.

I tried to get a macro with "Set device as active source" but no option I tried changed the amp only the TV.

Is Raw input something i need to do this? I don't even know what a raw input is.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 pm

doing the cable arrangement above is going to allow you to still have the video and audio from the PC to go into the AVR like it is needed and also allow the CEC adapter to be plugged into the TV as needed. As I have said already CEC can be a fickle thing. So keeping the HDMI cable between the CEC adapter and the TV to <= 6' is ideal. and also keep it away from anything that could produce excessive EMI or radio noise. I wouldn't go running the cable right past a subwoofer unless it has a shielded magnet. You have to remember this is a stream of daya that is being sent down the wire at an extremely high rate of speed. There are only a very few cases where I would recommend spending the money and getting "upgraded" cables and with HDMI and CEC this is one of those cases where it can solve quite a few issues should they arise. The problem is the CEC adapters output power when sending the data. I believe they kept this as low as possible because of being used with raspberry Pi's. so bear that in mind. less power == more possibility of nosie problems and also less distance the signal can travel. Higher grade cables are going to have 2 things the wires in it are going to have lower resistances thus allowing the signal to travel further and they are also going to have a better quality shielding which is going to reduce the amount of noise that get enter the data stream.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:16 pm

OK so one step at a time here..

You now have the CEC adapter plugged directly into the TV yes? and do you have the plugin configured for that port?

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Yeah, CEC adapter now into tv on HDMI port two and the HTPC is into HDMI port 1 on the amp.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:23 pm

The CEC adapter is going to instruct the TV what to do. the TV will then carry out the operations needed to accomplish that goal. we have a slight hangup because of how the computer is connected to the TV and to the AVR. we are going to have to play a little game of locate the device. We do not know what the device type is set to for the computer....

there is an Action called Set Device As Active HDMI Source. This is the action we are going to need to use. when you open it all of the devices that are connected to the CEC bus should populate the list of selections. check that out and see how many devices are in there. report back to me letting me know the number of devices and their names.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:24 pm

nairnmonster wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:22 pm
Yeah, CEC adapter now into tv on HDMI port two and the HTPC is into HDMI port 1 on the amp.
In the plugin Config do you have the HDMI port set to 2?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:26 pm

I sent you a PM.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Ok, I've done it as a screenshot as a load showed up.
Capture.JPG