Trigger a macro from another computer on network?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
wysocki
Experienced User

Trigger a macro from another computer on network?

Post by wysocki » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:26 pm

I'd like to trigger a macro from another computer that's on the same network. I know that I could use the webserver, but that means that on the triggering computer I'd have to start a web browser, navigate to the server's URL, then click a button to send the http event. I'd like to just have a shortcut on the desktop that would cause EG to sense an event. Any way to do this?

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Re: Trigger a macro from another computer on network?

Post by Sem;colon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:22 am

Hi Wysocki,
there are many ways to do that!
One is the webserver plugin as you mentioned.
Let's say PC A is running Eventghost with the webserver plugin and PC B should trigger the event. All you need to do is to make a HTTP web request from PC B zu PC A. You could simply do that via a web link desktop shortcut or a small script, you don't need to push any button on a website.
Things get even better when you can install Eventghost on PC B as well; you could directly perform an HTTP request from EG on PC B to PC A on any event. (Desktop shortcut, keyboard shortcut, pushing a screen overlay - you name it!)
With Eventghost on both PCs, you don't even need the webserver plugin, there are (better) alternatives - for example the TCP plugin. Just install it on both systems and you can send events to one another. I bet there are even more plugins that could help you with that..

My O-MEGA plugin can do that too, for example, but it's maybe a little overkill if you just want to send one event :)
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Trigger a macro from another computer on network?

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:39 pm

I know that you can push messages between computers on a network running windows. I can't see why something couldn't be written to react to a message.

You could also do something as simple as creating a file on a network share. and that network share is being monitored by EG and can react when the file gets created.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image