USB-UIRT alternative questions

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
mkanet2

USB-UIRT alternative questions

Post by mkanet2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:27 am

I love using my USB-UIRT within EventGhost to control all my IR devices. Unfortunately, I also have another USB device on the same PC that's conflicting with my USB-UIRT.

If I were to replace my USB-UIRT with another similar device within EventGhost, would I have to re-create ALL my learned IR Code "actions" within EventGhost? Would I be able to use the action below with another device; or, is that action specific to the USB-UIRT?

Also, what device would you guys recommend as a good replacement for my USB-UIRT for EventGhost? Something very similar to the USB-UIRT (that uses a completely different chipset and drivers).

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: USB-UIRT alternative questions

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:21 pm

yes you would have to relearn all of your codes. and match new events to your macros..

I would recommend this to use as an IR transceiver. It is 30.00 USD so not to expensive. They are no longer made so I would recommend getting one ASAP.
https://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote- ... B000WR2E00

I have had really good experiences with that device.

I also wanted to let you know that I have been adding onto the IR decoder portion of EventGhost. really expanding it's capabilities. And I have also been retooling the MCE Vista+ plugin and this plugin is what is used with the Pinnacle IR receiver above. So expect some really big changes coming really soon to this portion of EG.

the Pinnacle IR transceiver uses the Microsoft EHome drivers that are purpose written for IR receivers/transmitters dealing with consumer IR (remotes). there is no limit to the number of transceivers you can have attached to a computer and it is guaranteed to not bump heads with any other device.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

mkanet2

Post by mkanet2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and your recommendation. Ironically, the PC that I'm using EventGhost with currently was originally packaged with one of those IR receivers (HP Pavilion Media Center m8010y). At the time nobody had hacked the drivers to work with anything except for Windows Media Center. Also, when they had modified drivers for it to work in other software like Girder, it still seemed to be a little more lag than my USB-UIRT on the same PC.

I was hoping for something that's still being made and that also performs as fast as my USB-UIRT. However, since I already have one of these.. I'll give it a shot. Maybe, the newer drivers might help make it a little more responsive.

Thanks again.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:18 am

I will tell you that the interface I made to collect the codes received by the transceiver is being done directly to the ehome driver. The IR decoder I have written supports over 150 different protocol and has an average decode time of 600 microseconds (0.0006 seconds). I believe there is not gong to be any issue with speed.

I am suggesting the Pinnacle device even tho it is no longer made because it exceeds Microsoft's minimum requirements for an MCE IR receiver. It does a really good job at capturing IR correctly. While there are a bucket load of MCE receivers on the market they are not all made the same. Whatever you decide to purchase you want to make sure 100% that it is a certified device. There are a lot of manufacturers that call their product an MCE receiver and in actuality what it actually is is a serial over USB device that emulates keystrokes. It MUST use the ehome drivers that are included with windows.

I have had my Pinnacle receiver for almost 15 years now. It's still running and doesn't give me any grief. it is made extremely well. The remote is shit. But you have to remember that Microsoft has requirements right down to the size of the buttons and the positioning of the buttons.

I would recommend that Pinnacle receiver and using the One For All Oarusb04g remote control with it. I recommend that remote because it is "hackable" and you can program the buttons on the thing to blast any code you want. Unless you spend a fortune on a remote that gives you the ability to program individual buttons using a universal remote you never end up with all of the buttons working when you enter in one of the defined IR codes. this remote is about 15.00 USD and it is made really well. when you pick the thing up it is solid. It weighs more then most other remotes of the same size, and this is without it having batteries in it and the other does. It is not going to pop into a bunch of pieces when dropped on a hard floor.

The remote looks like a Plain Jane no frills remote but the build quality is high, almost all of the keys are backlit the batteries in it last a long time. When you get into the programming of the thing is when it will really shine.

mkanet2

Post by mkanet2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 am

Thanks again for the full explanation. I primarily use the USB-UIRT for transmitting/blasting IR towards all my IR devices. The performance/speed I was talking about was for transmitting IR specifically. It has a very nice IR blaster that can reach all my IR devices in a single room; even better than any of my original remote controls! I occasionally use the USB-UIRT for receiving IR commands from my Logitech Harmony remote.

Does the Pinnicle device have an equally good job with it's builtin IR blaster? If you think it's the best device for blasting IR, I'll go ahead and order one. Hopefully, I can just copy and paste my existing IR codes from my current EG actions without having to learn them all over again.

Thanks again for all your help.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 pm

The built in blaster on the pinnacle is just like every other MCE ir blaster. It is on a per device basis. meaning you have to have an eye.... well no you really don't have to use an eye you can use this in it's place

https://www.dx.com/p/produino-ir-transm ... =USD&ta=US

you would need to get a USB Y cable so you can grab the +5v from it. The ground and signal are via a 3.5mm mono headphone jack. This will blast IR into the hose next door!!!. LOL. always fun to play with a neighbors TV like that :shock:

The reason why the eyes are used with the MCE transceivers is because of duplicate codes being used between different devices. It is done so you can specifically send IR to the device you want and no other device will pick it up.

The Pinnacle transceiver supports 2 devices in this manner. Or you can do what I explained above. It is really simply to set up. If your soldering skills ar up to snuff you could put it right into the Pinnacle Transceiver Box.

If you do not feel comfortable doing it I would be more then willing to do it up for you and I can send it to ya if you like.

mkanet2

Post by mkanet2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:55 pm

It looks like I was able to resolve my issue/conflict with the USB-UIRT. So, I won't need a Pinnacle Transceiver Box just yet. I am still going to order one to have as a backup per your advice. That's so kind of you to offer adding a IR emitter right into the Pinnacle box; as, I don't have the skill or equipment to do it. I appreciate all your time and expertise. Thanks to you, I'll be better prepared if anything happens to my USB-UIRT; and, I can't replace it.