New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jitterjames
Experienced User

Re: New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

Post by jitterjames » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:03 pm

shrap wrote:Hi there,
I just tried this plugin and have one question (or maybe more :): Is it so that the service (which is intercepting and passing on all IR signals to EG) also prevents the signals from reaching MC? I have installed Microsoft MC Remote and it worked fine in my win7 MC (32bit). Then I installed the alternate driver, EG sees the signals, but MC does not react to them. Is it designed to be like that? Do I have to remap all the buttons to keyboard shortcuts to make it working in MC? Or am I missing something? Thanks anyone.
Yes it is designed to work that way. The original mostly mapped to keyboard events (it did not talk exclusively to windows media center) so if it weren't disabled you wouldn't be able to do much without conflicting or duplicate actions.

shrap

Post by shrap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Ok, I see. I just wanna ask before I map it myself. btw is there anywhere a default script (or preset or how is it called in EG) that would handle the basic MCE Remote buttons-keys? So one can only add/adjust the items he/she wants? Or should I start from the scratch?

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:15 pm

A user might be kind enough to post theirs, but often people have customized things so much to their particular preferences that it doesn't really makes sense for someone else. It's actually pretty darn easy to create your own once you get the hang of it so I would suggest you just do it from scratch. If you just want to start with keyboard shortcuts, I would create a single macro that contains a blank action for "emulate keystrokes".

then I would copy and paste it to create a bunch of duplicates. then I would drag in all your events from the log, then edit the actions to do the correct key.

but I will edit my tree down to a short list to get you started, and upload it in a few minutes.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:35 pm

I tried to clean this up as much as possible. You'll also find some extra stuff in there though. Hopefully some of it will give you some ideas of what you can do, and the rest you can delete. There are some extra event triggers in there for the ps3 remote, and maybe some others as well.
Attachments
short keyboard mce remote.xml
(47.96 KiB) Downloaded 621 times

shrap

Post by shrap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks a lot man. I will look at it tomorrow, though.

defecta

Post by defecta » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 am

Hi guys,

I am using Win7 64bit and using the latest version of this MCE Remote plugin, as posted at the beginning of this thread as well as the latest EG.

I have started to play around with EventGhost and this plugin and have it all doing mostly what I need but I have a couple of questions/problems.

The first question, I haven't been able to find anyone with the same issues in my searches on the forum, mostly because I am not sure how to describe the behaviour to yeild any useful search results so any push in the right direction would be a great help.

I have assigned the Vol up/down keys on the remote to send IR to my Amp to controll the volume and its performance is extremely intermittant. Sometime the first or second button presses of the Vol up/down perform the Transmit IR action as expected but subsequent button presses seem to get lost in a queue for about 5-10 seconds only to be transmitted later and a lot of 'unknown' MCE remote events are logged in the eventlog. And other times EventGhost doesnt respond at all to the Vol up/down button presses, even though I can see the red LED on the IR receiver showing the signal being received.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? I am getting little to no IR interference also.

The second question, is there anyway to allow the numeric pad on the MCE remote to function as orginally intended to allow the T9 style of text entry to work as originally designed? Or can anyone show me how to emulate this behaviour perfectly?

I have had a look at the multi-tap plugin and I cant see how it could work in the same way the orignal MCE remote commands did but I would welcome any pointers on this too.

Thanks folks.
AC

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:55 pm

defecta wrote:Hi guys,

The first question, I haven't been able to find anyone with the same issues in my searches on the forum, mostly because I am not sure how to describe the behaviour to yield any useful search results so any push in the right direction would be a great help.

I have assigned the Vol up/down keys on the remote to send IR to my Amp to controll the volume and its performance is extremely intermittant. Sometime the first or second button presses of the Vol up/down perform the Transmit IR action as expected but subsequent button presses seem to get lost in a queue for about 5-10 seconds only to be transmitted later and a lot of 'unknown' MCE remote events are logged in the eventlog. And other times EventGhost doesnt respond at all to the Vol up/down button presses, even though I can see the red LED on the IR receiver showing the signal being received.
I used to have a similar problem but it hasn't been an issue for me recently. I'm not 100% sure what the solution is. First make sure you have really learned and are transmitting a good clean code. If it is from remote central then great, but if you are learning it, make sure you learn it in the dark. Do it at night with the lights off, seriously, and turn the TV off if you can. The other thing that maybe is related is interference while you are transmitting. You say you have no interference, but that's not true, because there is always interference. It may just not be showing up in the log. Try completely covering the receiver window on your transceiver with several sheets of paper and then test the blasting to see if you still get that "clogging" effect. This is just for diagnosis. If it works well doing this test, then you need to find a way to let the good signals in while keeping any extras out.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 pm

defecta wrote: The second question, is there anyway to allow the numeric pad on the MCE remote to function as orginally intended to allow the T9 style of text entry to work as originally designed? Or can anyone show me how to emulate this behaviour perfectly?

I have had a look at the multi-tap plugin and I cant see how it could work in the same way the orignal MCE remote commands did but I would welcome any pointers on this too.

Thanks folks.
AC
I don't think the remote was doing this. Are you using windows media center? The remote was probably just sending number pad keys and then WMC was interpreting them in T9 style. I haven't tested it but it should be enough to emulate these keys using {Numpad1} {Numpad2} etc.

Philster

EG, MCE and Windows 7 problems

Post by Philster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi

Please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere in this forum, but after some hours reading, and trying several suggested options found in forum messages, I have not been able to get EG running permanently the way I want. I suspect I am missing something fundamental, or being a bit thick, so I come cap in hand to ask for some help.

So, lets start with my setup:
- Windows 7 x64 (SP1) PC ===> Onkyo AV Receiver ===> Samsung LCD TV (via HDMI)
- Microsoft MCE IR Receiver
- Logitech Harmony 525 Remote (emulating a MCE remote, plus controls AV Receiver and TV)
- Mediaportal
- UAC is disabled
- EventGhost 0.4.1.r1544

It is worth noting at this point, I have had to do no special configuration of the PC to use the MCE remote to control Mediaportal, other than tell Mediaportal that I am using a MCE remote, it all just worked, has been for a couple of years now.

So what did I want to use EventGhost for?
Well, there is an unfortunate quirk with my AV receiver when using HDMI. If the AV Receiver is turned on after the PC, and Mediaportal is already running I can sometimes end up with some funny aspect ratios that required me to restart Mediaportal. What I was hoping to do is get EventGhost to close down Mediaportal when either the PC was told to go to standby (from remote) or the AV receiver was put in standby (again from remote). Then I would also get EG to start Mediaportal back up again when it picked up the IR signal to power up the AV Receiver.

My first attempt.
After installing the latest version of EG, and adding the alternate MCE plugin for Windows 7 and about 20 mins of playing around I had things working exactly how I wanted them. EG would detect the necessary IR signals for the AV Receiver as MCE.Unknown.XXXXX that I could use to trigger the necessary start and stops for Mediaportal. I was a very happy person indeed. This was working like a charm for a couple of days, EG was starting and stopping Mediaportal without fail, and I could still control Mediaportal as I always had with the remote. But then, I needed to reboot the PC, and then things just stopped working. EG was still seeing the events in the log window, but was not doing anything, and I could no longer control Mediaportal with my remote. If I uninstall the Alternate MCE Service, reboot and install the service again, all is happy again. Unfortunately, the WAF factor comes into play, so can't leave it like that. The first sign of trouble, she reboots the PC, and that would leave her with no response to the remote, and me in the dog box.

What else did I try.
I tried using the old MCE plugin for EG, and not select the "Disable HID" option. That works in the sense that it recognised the MCE only commands, but would not "see" the IR events for the AV receiver etc like the other plugin did, so no go there.
I retried the Windows 7 MCE plugin, and added the Mediaportal plugin, assuming I could then get EG to control Mediaportal, but I guess I don't understand how that works, as no matter what I tried I could not get EG to control Mediaportal. The events were being recognised in the EG log, and it was triggering the Mediaportal macro events, but no resulting action was triggered in Mediaportal.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I know EG can do what I want (until a reboot) so I am hoping I am missing something really simple. This is a truly inspired piece of software, I really hope I can find a solution to this as I keep dreaming up more ways to use it.

bengalih

Re: EG, MCE and Windows 7 problems

Post by bengalih » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Philster wrote:
So, lets start with my setup:
- Windows 7 x64 (SP1) PC ===> Onkyo AV Receiver ===> Samsung LCD TV (via HDMI)
- Microsoft MCE IR Receiver
- Logitech Harmony 525 Remote (emulating a MCE remote, plus controls AV Receiver and TV)
- Mediaportal
- UAC is disabled
- EventGhost 0.4.1.r1544
Well, there is an unfortunate quirk with my AV receiver when using HDMI. If the AV Receiver is turned on after the PC, and Mediaportal is already running I can sometimes end up with some funny aspect ratios that required me to restart Mediaportal. What I was hoping to do is get EventGhost to close down Mediaportal when either the PC was told to go to standby (from remote) or the AV receiver was put in standby (again from remote). Then I would also get EG to start Mediaportal back up again when it picked up the IR signal to power up the AV Receiver.
Philster - what kind of video card do you have?

Philster

Post by Philster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi bengalih, I have an ATI Radeon HD 3200 (onboard on by Gigabyte motherboard)

SInce my last post asking for help I have since solved the problem. I thought I would return and post my soltion for others to try if they need it.

So to recap, my problem was:
- Install EG and WIN 7 MCE service
- Configre macros to fire on certian remote key presses.
- All works as expected until PC is rebooted
- Remote commands no longer recogised.
- Mediaportal no longer responds to MCE remote commands.
- Uninstalling the WIN 7 MCE service and rebooting makes remote work again, but no EG functionality

So what did I do to fix it.
- Uninstalled the MCE WIN 7 Service and rebooted
- Found some software to track registry changes
- Installed the MCE WIN 7 Service
- Used software to identify the registry keys changes in the install process.
- They keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes are doing the damage.
- Unistalled the MCE WIN 7 service and rebooted
- Expored the registry key listed above to a .reg file
- installed the MCE WIN 7 Service
- Imported the .reg file created earlier
- Bingo, all works as I want, PC has been rebooted many times since.

Now I do feel a bit bad about circumventing the changes made by the install process, they must be being done for a reason. I have yet to see any negative side effects however. This of course could be different for your setup.

I now have EG doing some great things. I have mapped keys on my Harmony 525 for a device I do not have to trigger macors to various tasks. Things are woking exactly as I wanted them to.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Philster

bengalih

Post by bengalih » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:49 am

Philster wrote:Hi bengalih, I have an ATI Radeon HD 3200 (onboard on by Gigabyte motherboard)

SInce my last post asking for help I have since solved the problem. I thought I would return and post my soltion for others to try if they need it.
So what did I do to fix it.
- They keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes are doing the damage.
Philster
Hey Phil...

Well, I finally got around to setting up my EG scripts today. I'm pretty happy with the way its turning out, and I'm feeling more confident with how most of the pieces work. I found out I can even sent remote codes to my Onkyo Receiver over the network. This may make for some input toggling goodness if I continue to have handshake issues myself.

Regarding your posts: The reason I asked about your video card is that I also have an ATI and was having issues with my aspect ratios being messed with when my equipment turned on and of. There is one scenario where WMC resizes. I posted about it here so if you still have issues with it, try my fix.

Your original post seemed to mention display problems, so I'm not sure how your fixes would have influenced that. The HidIr key in the registry controls how the eHome Transceiver works to pick up your IR signals. Basically, the EG alternate MCE installer in effect hijacks that so that your MCE remote doesn't go directly into MCE but rather filters through EG allowing you to use all of the goodness there and then EG will pass off commands to MCE.

Now I don't use MediaPortal as of yet, so I'm not sure what issues that might have played into it. Would be interested to see what the differences were between those 2 reg keys.

You may continue to get certain display issues with WMC still...it seems to be mostly a loosing battle with HDMI handshakes and various resolution. If you experience these you might play with some macros that shut down/restart WMC when your computer turns off/sleeps. Sometimes a relaunch of WMC will kick things into action.

Targorlegend

Post by Targorlegend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Hello Community,

I'm a little desparate here. Tried to get EG working on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on my Shuttle V2 with XBMC, with an Hama MCE and its included IR. Well, the Remote works with Windows (without EG) but this isn't very effective with XBMC (for example Play/Pause are not working in XBMC) So I installed EG and never got it running. First I just had the Plugin in XBMC, then I started to search for tutorials and found one. Never got further than the MCE Plugin for EG, because I never get any entries in the log when pressing buttons. Tried first only with the Win 7 version, then installed the normal in addition. Nothing worked. Tried some workarounds in this threads on page 24/25 like deleting the serice and use the normal MCE Plugin. I even reinstalled my whole Windows to install the Plugin on a 100% clean EG, but nothing worked. Tried the Vistaaddon with another service in the first post, no response, nothing. All the out-of-box functions a working, but there's no chance getting EG to register my button pressing. The installed service is running without any crashes, but noting reaches EG, tried Administrator rights and without. Just don't know what else to try.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 pm

first thing to verify is that the checkbox at the bottom of the EG history window called "Log only assigned and activated events" is NOT checked.

After that I would say there is a chance your MCE device is suspect, maybe not compatible. Buy or borrow a normal MCE IR transceiver and test with that.

I personally use the MCE/Vista/Win7 version with no problems on win 32 and 64 bit, no hoop jumping required.

Targorlegend

Post by Targorlegend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks for the fast answer.Checkbox is unchecked. What would be a "normal" MCE IR transceiver?