WMC + XBMC using MCE Remote (eHome Receiver)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
MartyMc

WMC + XBMC using MCE Remote (eHome Receiver)

Post by MartyMc » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi everyone, here is my setup and the way I managed to work this near perfect, but I am looking for more suggestions.

My set up is running Windows 7 Ultimate with WMC on HDHR Dual Tuners on ClearQAM with Mediagate Remote + USB IR receiver that came with it that is identified as eHome by Windows.
I use XBMC for local media and WMC for Live TV, watching recordings from Cable Card era, etc.

I believe I used an intuitive way of combining multiple remotes in one to control different components without having to switch inputs.
With Sony Learning Remote, I taught it to control MCE Remote functions for list, guide, up down etc.. all main stuff, then seperately Volume andsome custom buttons are learned from my Receiver's remote, and then Input, picture, etc learned from my TV remote, along with a few macros assigned A,B,C,D that turns on the whole system in order or turns off in order.
I don't have to switch devices to control all these different functionality...

I heard that using EventGhost I can use the exact same buttons but result in different functions based on the program that has focus. That sounds nice since there are some major functionality missing from Remotes (such as right click, contextual menus in XBMC, Backspace vs Escape (assigned to clear/back), etc. (Currently, no matter which program has focus, hitting Guide or List runs WMC, so there is no way I can use those buttons to control anything in XBMC)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I just got a newer learning remote and before I start programming using multi remote combined in one, I wanted to see if EventGhost can help in any way.

blaher
Experienced User

Re: WMC + XBMC using MCE Remote (eHome Receiver)

Post by blaher » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 am

Yes, EG will do what you ask. What do you mean suggestions? Would you like an example of how different programs can activate different responses to remote presses? I believe the example that comes with EG shows you how to disable/enable folders.

Here's my .xml if you'd like a practical example. It uses a few separate plugins that will be missing in yours, but it might give you or someone else an idea or two.
Attachments
eg.xml
(175.2 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

MartyMc

Post by MartyMc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:28 am

Thanks. It looks like I need to setup a certain service for it to run on W7, the service install link that comes in EG will be enough right?

By Suggestions I was hoping to see others using a similar setup, maybe share their creations/customizations, things that others wouldn't think of easily but made their life easier. I wasn't really clear on what EG did besides automation, but it looks like it can actually turn into a very powerful IR manipulator by replacing IR signals with keypresses, is that correct? So I can actually hit a button my MCE remote and instruct computer to start a browser, make it full screen and go to a certain page, even click on a link if I know the number of tabs I need to hit in order to get the link I want activated. This is amazing.

Since I am a total beginner, I was hoping to see some of these examples. I guess it all works by keyboard, not by telling which keypress does what, so basically if the application does not have key shortcut, it is impossible to emulate that, right? Because EG works by sending keypresses or basic windows functionality, not functionality within an application? [[I take this back, I see that EG has a long list of application supported, including WMC]] So it is possible to control certain functions even if one doesn't know the keyboard shortcut for that function.

I just got a new remote and I can't wait to try EG tomorrow!
It's almost 2AM and I can't let this go, I have been playing with it, and it is excellent. Now I got even more excited. I just tested running XBMC then going to Files menu with keyboard shortcuts. Yes, Windows has it's own CTRL+ALT+xxx shortcut, but adding direct shortcuts to functionality within application is really awesome. I will have so much fun with this at work using Excel, adding more filter shortcuts and not relying on excel's own Macro which always locks excel! Hopefully it works in a similar way.

I do have one problem though, some functions getting sent twice. Like when I hit UP on my keyboard, I see cursor moving up twice, same with left, right down, mute. I cannot mute anything, it hits the button twice. How do I stop this? I didn't even set up any macros with keyboard at all. Allright, Disabled "Keyboard Emulation". But will EG work with Keyboard Emulation folder disabled?

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:45 pm

MartyMc wrote: I do have one problem though, some functions getting sent twice. Like when I hit UP on my keyboard, I see cursor moving up twice, same with left, right down, mute. I cannot mute anything, it hits the button twice. How do I stop this? I didn't even set up any macros with keyboard at all. Allright, Disabled "Keyboard Emulation". But will EG work with Keyboard Emulation folder disabled?
I have an idea of what might be happening since something similar happened to me. See this post. The default .xml file that comes with EG has a "Context Folder" and "Keyboard Emulation" subfolder. These caused certain keys to autorepeat with the keyboard plug-in. There's also a "Volume Control" plug-in with a ToggleMute action. You might try disabling or removing all of these default entries and see if it resolves your problem.

MartyMc

Post by MartyMc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 pm

kkl wrote:
MartyMc wrote: I do have one problem though, some functions getting sent twice. Like when I hit UP on my keyboard, I see cursor moving up twice, same with left, right down, mute. I cannot mute anything, it hits the button twice. How do I stop this? I didn't even set up any macros with keyboard at all. Allright, Disabled "Keyboard Emulation". But will EG work with Keyboard Emulation folder disabled?
I have an idea of what might be happening since something similar happened to me. See this post. The default .xml file that comes with EG has a "Context Folder" and "Keyboard Emulation" subfolder. These caused certain keys to autorepeat with the keyboard plug-in. There's also a "Volume Control" plug-in with a ToggleMute action. You might try disabling or removing all of these default entries and see if it resolves your problem.
Thanks, yep I found the Keyboard Emulation and disabled that, but I was worried that it might be something that EG needs to function properly, I guess not..
I will look for the Volume Control and disable that as well, will have to do this later because right now EG is stuck in Tray Icon mode and won't show me the application window for some reason... (Ok, found two instances running somehow!)

OK, Volume Control problem is fixed as well by disabling toggle mute. *When disabling these things, should we be disabling the Actions, or Events, or Macro? I guess it is better to disable the event since we may actually need another instruction or keypress or remote control to do the same Macro, right? If we disable the Macro or the Folder, we cannot have , for example Remote Control Mute to Mute the computer, right? Although it looks like it is easy to add it later if needed.
Thank you so much.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 am

MartyMc wrote: Thanks, yep I found the Keyboard Emulation and disabled that, but I was worried that it might be something that EG needs to function properly, I guess not.
Correct, and it can do much more than emulate keypresses.
When disabling these things, should we be disabling the Actions, or Events, or Macro? I guess it is better to disable the event since we may actually need another instruction or keypress or remote control to do the same Macro, right? If we disable the Macro or the Folder, we cannot have , for example Remote Control Mute to Mute the computer, right?
Yes, disabling the event is probably the way to go if you need to run that macro with another event.

MartyMc

Post by MartyMc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I thought this was going to be easy, I figured EG can overwrite the MCE remote's hard-coded commands such as guide, green button, video, music, etc.. but it seems there is no way to get rid of those functions. I read pages and pages of forum topics, there are some extreme fixes like uninstalling WMC or modifying the registry in a way that it disables other functionality along with remote it kind of soured me from the whole thing. Although--I did get the hang of EG and was able to assign functions depending on active window, this is pretty cool.

I also thought I could skip the whole MCE remote thing and use my IR receiver and teach EG to record signals from my universal remote directly (not MCE commands) and then apply those to functions depending on the program in focus, however EG does not accept subsequent commands as quickly as it does for MCE commands. So I cannot hit down,down,down because it does not accept the next command unless I wait for about half a second.

So, I plan to just teach my learning remote only the commands that works with both XBMC and WMC (up, down, pause, etc.. the universal ones, let my MCE remote teach my Learning Remote) and then tell EG to do what I want with the remaining buttons since those buttons won't be pressed too frequently (like Movies button, Guide, List, etc..). I think this is the easiest method of doing this without going insane trying to disable certain MCE remote keypresses controlling WMC exclusively.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 am

MartyMc wrote:I thought this was going to be easy, I figured EG can overwrite the MCE remote's hard-coded commands such as guide, green button, video, music, etc.. but it seems there is no way to get rid of those functions. I read pages and pages of forum topics, there are some extreme fixes like uninstalling WMC or modifying the registry in a way that it disables other functionality along with remote it kind of soured me from the whole thing. Although--I did get the hang of EG and was able to assign functions depending on active window, this is pretty cool.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1789&start=450#p25395 When you install the service, WMC shouldn't respond anymore. Messing in the registry is if you want both programs to respond for some weird reason.
I also thought I could skip the whole MCE remote thing and use my IR receiver and teach EG to record signals from my universal remote directly (not MCE commands) and then apply those to functions depending on the program in focus, however EG does not accept subsequent commands as quickly as it does for MCE commands. So I cannot hit down,down,down because it does not accept the next command unless I wait for about half a second.
I use a universal remote and teach it MCE commands, which are then assigned different tasks depending on the program in use.
So, I plan to just teach my learning remote only the commands that works with both XBMC and WMC (up, down, pause, etc.. the universal ones, let my MCE remote teach my Learning Remote) and then tell EG to do what I want with the remaining buttons since those buttons won't be pressed too frequently (like Movies button, Guide, List, etc..). I think this is the easiest method of doing this without going insane trying to disable certain MCE remote keypresses controlling WMC exclusively.
That's a good work-around if you run out of MCE signals to use.

MartyMc

Post by MartyMc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:09 pm

blaher wrote: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1789&start=450#p25395 When you install the service, WMC shouldn't respond anymore. Messing in the registry is if you want both programs to respond for some weird reason.
That's a good work-around if you run out of MCE signals to use.
I found the solution to 1st part by installing MCE Remote (non Windows 7) and then checking the mark to disable HID then removing the add-on. This works. I guess the commands will not work with that plugin but at least it helps disable HID. But I will not do that, I will use the 2nd approach of teaching different functions to same "Device" on the Learning remote, leaving some keys un-learned so I can map EG actions based on default signals "MCE.Unknown..." They seem to be pretty consistent.

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 am

MartyMc wrote:I thought this was going to be easy, I figured EG can overwrite the MCE remote's hard-coded commands such as guide, green button, video, music, etc.. but it seems there is no way to get rid of those functions.
The fact that the MCE plug-in recognizes actual MCE remote signals, such as MceRemote.Mce.Num2, doesn't mean that you're stuck with that function. You can use that Event to trigger any EG function. So whether EG sees MceRemote.Mce.Num2, or you manage to disable that recognition and EG sees something like MceRemote.Unknown.1342C8 makes no difference whatsoever.

MartyMc

Post by MartyMc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:57 pm

kkl wrote: The fact that the MCE plug-in recognizes actual MCE remote signals, such as MceRemote.Mce.Num2, doesn't mean that you're stuck with that function. You can use that Event to trigger any EG function. So whether EG sees MceRemote.Mce.Num2, or you manage to disable that recognition and EG sees something like MceRemote.Unknown.1342C8 makes no difference whatsoever.
Yes, that's correct, I assigned a few functions to EG using .Unknown, however I am unable to use directional keys or keys that I need to press in succession. While EG accepts MceRemote.Mce.Num2 commands pretty fast, it requires a small pause before you can press MceRemote.Unknown.1342C8 again. If you have a remote lying around, an old TV remote, or something that's not sending MCE commands, try it.
MartyMc wrote:I thought this was going to be easy, I figured EG can overwrite the MCE remote's hard-coded commands such as guide, green button, video, music, etc.. but it seems there is no way to get rid of those functions.
By the way, I take what I say back in above quote, running Win 7 Pro, I installed win 7 Mce plugin first, then I installed regular non win 7 plugin, clicked on disable HID, and then removed the plugin, this disables WMC hard-coded commands. If I want them enabled, I just install non-Win7 plugin, and check then uncheck HID, then I remove the plugin, this enables it.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:02 am

MartyMc wrote: Yes, that's correct, I assigned a few functions to EG using .Unknown, however I am unable to use directional keys or keys that I need to press in succession. While EG accepts MceRemote.Mce.Num2 commands pretty fast, it requires a small pause before you can press MceRemote.Unknown.1342C8 again. If you have a remote lying around, an old TV remote, or something that's not sending MCE commands, try it.
I don't seem to have that problem as you can see from my screenshot. But even if you do, why not just use MceRemote.Mce.Down etc. for the direction keys? The autorepeat in my .xml works well with it too.
By the way, I take what I say back in above quote, running Win 7 Pro, I installed win 7 Mce plugin first, then I installed regular non win 7 plugin, clicked on disable HID, and then removed the plugin, this disables WMC hard-coded commands. If I want them enabled, I just install non-Win7 plugin, and check then uncheck HID, then I remove the plugin, this enables it.
Cool, I've used both plugins, the non win7 MCE needs to be run as administrator, but otherwise they work the same, as far as I remember.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

thereef510

Post by thereef510 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Posting this in case anyone else does a similar search. I created a switch that toggles between "Plex Media Player" (the latest official Plex client) and Windows Media Center.

Code: Select all

<Macro Name="Switch to Plex" id="778" Expanded="True">
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LShift+8" />
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LShift+8+Packet" />
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LShift+8+U00" />
            <Action>
                Window.FindWindow(u'ehshell.exe', None, None, None, None, None, False, 7.0, 0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.ShowOSD(u'     Switching to \nPlex Media Player', u'0;-27;0;0;0;700;0;0;0;0;3;2;1;34;Impact', (255, 128, 0), (0, 0, 0), 0, (0, 0), 0, 1.0, False)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Windows\\winsxs\\amd64_microsoft-windows-taskkill_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8172f0ac75c192a6\\taskkill.exe', u'/f /im ehshell.exe', 0, False, 2, u'', False, False)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Program Files\\Plex\\Plex Media Player\\PlexMediaPlayer.exe', u'', 0, False, 2, u'', False, False)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                Window.FindWindow(u'PlexMediaPlayer.exe', None, None, None, None, None, False, 5.0, 0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                Window.BringToFront()
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.DisableItem(XmlIdLink(778))
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.EnableItem(XmlIdLink(791))
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.StopProcessing()
            </Action>
        </Macro>
        <Macro Name="Switch to WMC" id="791" Expanded="True">
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LShift+8" />
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LShift+8+Packet" />
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LShift+8+U00" />
            <Action>
                Window.FindWindow(u'PlexMediaPlayer.exe', None, None, None, None, None, False, 3.0, 0)
            </Action>
            <Action Name="Show OSD: Switching to Windows Media Center">
                EventGhost.ShowOSD(u'         Switching to \nWindows Media Center', u'0;-27;0;0;0;700;0;0;0;0;3;2;1;34;Impact', (0, 0, 255), (0, 0, 0), 0, (0, 0), 0, 1.0, False)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Windows\\winsxs\\amd64_microsoft-windows-taskkill_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8172f0ac75c192a6\\taskkill.exe', u'/f /im PlexMediaPlayer.exe', 0, False, 2, u'', False, False)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Windows\\ehome\\ehshell.exe', u'/nostartupanimation /homepage:VideoGuide.xml /PushStartPage:True', 0, False, 2, u'', False, False)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                Window.FindWindow(u'ehshell.exe', None, None, None, None, None, False, 7.0, 0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                Window.BringToFront()
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.DisableItem(XmlIdLink(791))
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.EnableItem(XmlIdLink(778))
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.StopProcessing()