EventGhost + zVirtualScenes Integration Plugins

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
hairlesshobo

EventGhost + zVirtualScenes Integration Plugins

Post by hairlesshobo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:40 am

First off, I hope this is the correct place to be posting this - if not, would an admin please move it to the correct forum.

Now down to business. I have chosen to use EventGhost as the core of my home automation and it can control basically everything - except zVirtualScenes (ZVS). Because of this, I chose to write a plugin for EventGhost that is able to directly control ZVS using it's built in WebAPI plugin. I also wrote a plugin for ZVS that will broadcast all Z-Wave based event to EventGhost for further handling. But anyways, I am fairly new to Python and also have a small number of Z-Wave hardware to control right now and I was hoping to find some others here that use ZVS who would be willing to test things out and see if they can find some bugs or gaps in features.

Thanks in advance for your consideration, and I hope that this project proves itself to be helpful to more than just myself.

Edit (01/16/2014): I have created a simple (read: ugly) webpage to be the home for both the Control Plugin and the Broadcaster plugin. This page, which includes links to download all versions of both plugins can be found at the following address:

http://www.stevecross.org/eventghost_zvs/

-Steve Cross

-

Downloads:

Beta 2 - Download Here
Beta 1 - Download Here
Last edited by hairlesshobo on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

kkl
Experienced User

Re: Beta Testers Wanted -- new plugin to control zVirtualSc

Post by kkl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 pm

I would be interested, but I use a Vera2. From your website, it appears that your software requires an OpenZwave compatible controller, is that correct?

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 am

Yeah, I think it's for USB Z-Wave controllers. I used to use zVirtualScenes when I had one, but had difficulty sending it keyboard shortcuts, so this plugin would be handy for those people without Veras/Fibaros.

hairlesshobo

Post by hairlesshobo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:02 am

I hope I wasn't misleading in my original post but this plugin is designed to interface zVirtualScenes with EventGhost, so whatever devices ZVS supports, this will as well. This is not intended to be a direct interface with Z-Wave hardware. I decided to go this route so that the developer of ZVS, who is much more familiar with interfacing to Z-Wave devices can handle that, and I simply bring that power to the EG world.

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:59 pm

hairlesshobo wrote:I hope I wasn't misleading in my original post but this plugin is designed to interface zVirtualScenes with EventGhost, so whatever devices ZVS supports, this will as well. This is not intended to be a direct interface with Z-Wave hardware. I decided to go this route so that the developer of ZVS, who is much more familiar with interfacing to Z-Wave devices can handle that, and I simply bring that power to the EG world.
Hello hairlesshobo,

I'm considering buying a Z-WAVE system and since I also have EG as core of my home automation, this solution with zVirtualScenes seems to be perfect!
...Also Mi Casa Verde Vera is a bit to expensive in my opinion ;)

Anyway, I'd be glad to assist!
I know a bit about python and already created some EG plugins.

Please let me know if you still plan to develop this plugin and I'll order some Z-WAVE components ;)

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 am

Will it be compatible with RaZberry and Z-Way?

hairlesshobo

Post by hairlesshobo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 pm

I thought that I had already posted a link to this, but I have a beta version in place. At this point I have been using it for a few months to control binary switches and dimmers. I haven't yet added thermostat support but it is planned at some point. The latest beta is is Beta2. I am currently using this with the latest version of EventGhost and zVirtualScenes. Installation is very simple, extract the zip file in the plugins directory of EventGhost. Restart EG, then add it as a new plugin. You have to enable the WebAPI plugin inside of zVirtualScenes in order to use this plugin. Simply enter the server and port as configured in ZVS and you should be good to go.

Please let me know if you guys encounter any issues and I'll be glad to address them.
krambriw wrote:Will it be compatible with RaZberry and Z-Way?
This plugin only interfaces EventGhost to zVirtualScenes, it does not directly communicate with any Z-Wave devices. If I remember correctly what RaZberry is, it may or may not be compatible at the moment, but could easily be made to do so if it does not currently work. Let me know your results and I'll see what I can do. If it doesn't work, I might have to pick up a Pie so that I can try it out in house.

hairlesshobo

Post by hairlesshobo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:35 am

The EventGhost Broadcaster plugin for zVirtualScenes has been updated to be compatible with zVirtualScenes 7.x. You can find the latest version of both the EventGhost and zVirtualScenes plugins at the link below.

http://www.stevecross.org/eventghost_zvs/

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Re: EventGhost + zVirtualScenes Integration Plugins

Post by Sem;colon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Hello hairlesshobo,

I have some trouble getting this plugin to work - is there something wrong with my configuration?
Unbenannt.png
I also tried it without SSL and I deactivated the windows firewall.

EDIT: It seems like I needed to open zVirtualscenes as Admin - now I have a connection

hairlesshobo

Post by hairlesshobo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Just as a heads up, there are some problems with the WebAPI plugin in ZVS 7.0.949 that prevents the zVirtualScenes command plugin from working. I am currently working in coordination with one of the ZVS developers to correct this. I have a partially working solution in place but it will require a special version of the WebAPI plugin until it is fixed in the next release. once I get it finished and working, I will post the latest code and the patched WebAPI plugin for everybody.

Steve

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Post by Sem;colon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:03 pm

hairlesshobo wrote:Just as a heads up, there are some problems with the WebAPI plugin in ZVS 7.0.949 that prevents the zVirtualScenes command plugin from working. I am currently working in coordination with one of the ZVS developers to correct this. I have a partially working solution in place but it will require a special version of the WebAPI plugin until it is fixed in the next release. once I get it finished and working, I will post the latest code and the patched WebAPI plugin for everybody.

Steve
cool, thank you!

I have some issues triggering commands from EG to zVirtualScenes, just to check if we both have the same issue:
If I try to control a switch or a dimmer sometimes no devices are shown to me in the drop down selection, sometimes devices that are from the other type and the ... But no matter what is there to choose from I didn't get any command form EG to zVirtualScenes working until now.
What I get are the Events form zVirtualScenes, this works!

hairlesshobo

Post by hairlesshobo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm

yeah that's the problem with the API. for some reason the ability to execute any command was left out of the latest release. at this point, I've fixed the API but am still working on modifying the plugin for EventGhost to communicate with the new API controllers. I hope to have it updated sometime this weekend.

cederron

Post by cederron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm

I have a zwave stick and some zwave devices ready to try, this plugin is gonna be really useful.

How is it going?

hairlesshobo

Post by hairlesshobo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 pm

At this point I have Dimmers, switches, groups, scenes, and system commands working from inside of EventGhost. The zVirtualScenes broadcasting side works great - all events in ZVS are forwarded to EG. I am in the process of adding Thermostat control support. You can grab the latest beta from here..

http://www.stevecross.org/eventghost_zv ... ta%203.exe

Make sure you are running the latest version of ZVS. During installation, make sure you select all 3 components otherwise you won't be able to send any commands to ZVS.

Let me know how it works out.

-Steve

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Post by Sem;colon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm

It works!

Thank you!
I'll come back when I did more testing