Amazon Echo Skill EchoToEventGhost

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Medy
Experienced User

Re: Amazon Echo Skill EchoToEventGhost

Post by Medy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 am

If you have a decent desk microphone .. u can use the chrome auto voice plugin to forward events to eventghost.
another advantage you can use every wake up word you want. or you can use none at all

Setup couldnt be easier....

my google home & alexa are collecting dust for a long time ...
they were eventghost input machines to begin with xD.... im regifting them on christmas lol

mkanet

Post by mkanet » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Yes, setup is easy.. but, you won't have access to the thousands of awesome Alexa skills which integrate very well with 3rd party services; especially, music services. Also, you can't really compare a cheap lapelier microphone against 4-8 far-field microphone arrays available on Amazon 3rd gen Echo devices. Plus, counting on a clunky desktop web browser is also less than ideal.

The above reasons are why EchoToEventGhost exists. But, I can understand that EchoToEventGhost is not for everybody, since it does take some work to setup.
Medy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 am
If you have a decent desk microphone .. u can use the chrome auto voice plugin to forward events to eventghost.
another advantage you can use every wake up word you want. or you can use none at all

they were eventghost input machines to begin with xD.... im regifting them on christmas lol

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:47 pm

mkanet wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Yes, setup is easy.. but, you won't have access to the thousands of awesome Alexa skills which integrate very well with 3rd party services; especially, music services. Also, you can't really compare a cheap lapelier microphone against 4-8 far-field microphone arrays available on Amazon 3rd gen Echo devices. Plus, counting on a clunky desktop web browser is also less than ideal.

The above reasons are why EchoToEventGhost exists. But, I can understand that EchoToEventGhost is not for everybody, since it does take some work to setup.
Medy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 am

Each to his own

But Actually microphone is pretty legit ;) ... im using a blue yeti ... and works just as good as google home.
It has a omnidirectional pickup mode .. in comparison I could not make out a difference... In fact the blue mic could even hear me whisper things....

With Eventhgost you can hook this setup up to anything ...
So ACTUALLY I can use all alexa to trigger routines ... by hooking it up to iobroker and alexa adapter...

Which ACTUALLY unlocks even more functionality ... than you normally have ...

So yeah im quite happy with this setup ;)...

I dont have anything against echotoeventghost ... but my setup is not bound to saying a vertain phrase ... or saying trigger ....

The setup is extremely easy .. and doesnt invole 20 steps ...

To clear this up further ... I dont like using alexa skills by voice ...
In fact I prefer to NEVER use voice commands or as few as possible ...

Automating things as far as possible is what I like ... so yeah ...
Using voice or pushing buttons is what I wanted to get rid of ;)...

Sometimes you need a command ... but then I prefer to trigger them however I like ... maybe with a keyboard shortcut that triggers an alexa rotine if need be ... or by a sensor .... but not but saying "alexa" "trigger" "skill xyz" "activate xyz"... Im particaluar in that sense .. so take it with a grain of salt

I used alexa and google home since day 1 to the fullest .... eventually I ended up not using them anymore ... but they were great gateway drugs xD...

admitatly its a "different" setup ... using a desc mic ... and you cant place it very well around the house like alexa... but it certainly doesnt lack any feature ... quite the opposite

For me it removes the annoyances of a normal alexa or google home setup ;)...

just sharing ;)

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:35 am

slattynan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm
14. Under the **Lambda function handler and role** section, leave **Handler** and **Role** as is and for **Existing role** select "lamba\_basic\_execution"

16. Click Save **Endpoints** , then **Save Model** and then **Build Model**.
Thank you for your comprehensive update to this plug-in. I had to redo it myself lately after an unexpected change of IP, and no DNS forwarding service. I couldn't find an option for number 14, and number 16 seems to have been replaced by just 'save model'; there doesn't seem to be a build option anymore.

I look forward to trying the more advanced stuff, but at the moment it's good to just be generating events!

Cheers