EG Server Died :(

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.

EG Server Died :(

Postby m19brandon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:14 am

Our main home server died this week. Two days without EG running the house and we are feeling the pain.

EG is like magic, thanks for all the work keeping this project going.

B
m19brandon
Experienced User

Re: EG Server Died :(

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Oh crap. that really sucks. and that reminds me. I am going to have to start building another friggin server. I lost a raid card. but how it went bad is why i have to build a new box.

it melted tracers 3-4 on side B of the PCIe connector. which is 3.3v and ground. and i cannot get an answer from the company that made the card if this could have caused damage to my drives and or my mainboard. they stopped respond to me all together... wtf is it with companies... the card is rated for 920000 MTBF hours yeah over 100 years of operation. but i got 61000 hours on the card.

which i am fine with. but it's how the card failed because there was an over draw of power from the card and there are no fuses in place on the card to prevent any damage from occurring which is what has pissed me off... and i have a backup card. an identical card to the one that burned up. each of these cards was almost 800 USD and the company just stops responding to my queries about it.

all i wanted to know is if damage to my computer could have happened because of this. and i get no answer.. unreal...

not gonna be cheap but this time around i am going to do up a dual opteron 128 gigs memory possibly 256 gigs, 2 chainable adaptec sas controllers, and add a hyper-v secondary video processor. i am going to keep with western digital drives. but i need to find some that don't put out so much heat. the ones i have are horrible with the heat and they are green drives. gonna bump the drives to 2tb and i would like to fill all 20 bays. 16 for data, and 4 for os programs and os specific things i need to have run fast and the VM's i have running where speed is important. and place an ssd internally for the os it's self.

time to start pricing everything out.
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby m19brandon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:24 am

I am being cheap and savaged my server. Lost two sticks of ram and two slot in my MoBo (burn marks on the RAM). Pulled the power supply and replaced with one I had in the closet.

In the process I moved to Ubuntu and I am running on 4gb with with AMD 3x core. For EG, I grabbed one of the free XP IE6 VM Images Microsoft has for IE testing. I set it to have one core and 512mb.

The problem is it's a slow in processing all he macros. Not sure if I should get cheap Intel NUC i3 to just run EG on Windows or wait for the new AMD Zen chip build a new server with Ubuntu and a 2 core, 2gb EG Windows VM running.

Also how are your guys automated your life Linux desktops, PIs and servers?
m19brandon
Experienced User

Postby Sem;colon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:33 am

I recommend to run your EG server on some cheap hardware, as you loose quite some possibilities running it in a VM. Also I recommend a newer OS than Windows XP.

To automate things on my Linux systems I use the SSH plugin
Sem;colon
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:40 pm

I just got lucky. I picked up a quad opteron with 16 cores per CPU at 2.3 ghz with 64 gigs ram. It has drives but nothing big. Serverworks Mainboard. I have to do some shuffling about. I have to get 6 TB storage to move my data so I can reconnect the drives to the mainboard controller. The board only has 1 pcie x16 and I need to have my video card in it for my VMs so I can't use my raid controller. But good thing is the board supports a TB of memory. I need to replace the CPU coolers the ones that came with it are Cooler Master junk.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby m19brandon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:34 pm

I ordered a Dell Micro Mini dual core @ 2.4ghz with an 8gb stick to swap in for the default 2gb stick. Total was $200, cant believe you can buy something like this with Windows pre-installed. I still remember when Windows costed $150 just for the license.
m19brandon
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:14 am

yeah i know right. most didn't know this. and it still holds true today. but you can order an eval copy of any piece of software they have and they will mail ya the DVD free of charge. then all ya have to do is buy a license for it . back in the day for a non server version of windows a license was only 30 beans. I used to keep those suckers locked up in a safe when i did I.T.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to General Support