Help with getting MCE working and Add keyboard shortcut

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
tzr916

Re: Help with getting MCE working and Add keyboard shortcut

Post by tzr916 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm

A USB driver is installed. I never get a message from the OS saying the driver is unsigned. The remote is working, never stopped working when I updated to v1607. So doing the unsigned process is supposed to install a different driver? Where does this different driver come from? Do I have to manually download a different USB driver? Does the unsigned process automatically choose this other driver?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm

I am going to put this out there right out of the gate. I am going to basically turn off as much geek speak as i can and explain every single little step. I do this because #1: I do not assume to know your knowledge level. #2: someone that may not have the same knowledge level as you or I could read this and we want them to be able to benefit from this as well. So please understand I am in no way trying to insult your intelligence level.

this is the normal troubleshooting steps we do to make sure this is not the case. because Windows does not inform you of any issues we have no way of knowing. so we try something we know has worked for others in the past. In this case. it did not work unfortunately. and we will move to the next thing. It could be a little bit in between the steps for research time. we're good at having solutions readily available. Those solutions had to be put together from research and testing. and it would appear we are going to have to spend some time working on this if you are willing. if we had the ability to sit right in front of the computer we could probably have this sorted out in a very fast manner. there are things that we will forget to ask you about or there could be some kind of a clue that would come up that unless we specifically know to ask about will get passed right by. Phone support is nerve racking. this is worse to say the least :D. We will get it sorted out for you.

I want to make this as easy as possible for you. and I know the easiest solution is for you to be able to install 2 plugins and have it work.
I have already created the plugin that will be able to pass off the remote key presses to jriver. That bit is done. It is going to have to be tested for functionality.

I do have a couple of questions regarding how jriver uses the remote currently.
Do any of the remote button assignments change during the use of jriver? as an example of you press a button when one screen is active it does a specific thing. but if you have another screen active and press the same button does it do something different?

I am going to want to start from scratch as I am trying to approach this issue from a different angle. I am going to need you to perform each and every single step in order.

Open EventGhost
Click on the file drop down menu at the top of EG
Click on the New menu item
Click on the file drop down menu once again
Click on save as. and save the new empty Configuration Tree
Close EventGhost

Open your Control Panel
Go to Administrative tools
Then to services
Look for a service called alternateMCEir. if it is in there and running stop it.

Right click on the EventGhost icon and click on Run as Administrator
When EventGhost loads it should load that new file we created. the only thing you should see in the Configuration Tree (the panel on the right side of EG) will be Autostart

if the above is done and correct do the next steps

Click on the Configuration drop down menu at the top.
Click on Add Plugin.
Scroll down the list until you see the plugin Microsoft MCE Remote (Vista+)
this is the plugin you will install. when you install the plugin another dialog will open with 2 buttons Install Service and Uninstall Service.

These steps will need to be done if you found the alternateMCEir Service in the services panel.
Click on Uninstall.
Close the dialog.
DO NOT SAVE YOUR EG SESSION
Exit EventGhost
Reboot the computer
Run EventGhost as Administrator
Install the plugin
Continue with the next steps

Click on the install Service button
press OK on that dialog
Save EventGhost
Close EventGhost
Reboot the computer

These are the steps to perform to install the MCE Remote plugin for EG They have to be done in that specific order.

after rebooting the remote should no longer function in jriver. this is normal and is expected.
open EventGhost
press some buttons on the remote. do you see any events generated in EventGhost for the button presses?

lets start there to make sure we can get the events for the button presses inside of EG.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks kgschlosser. I really appreciate every minute of your time, and jachin99's help as well.

I'm just not sure I actually want/need to go through all the trouble of getting EG to "properly" use the mce plugin with JRiver. I originally came here to accomplish one thing- send CTRL+k to JRiver when I press a remote button. We've already got that working using the HID plugin, without interfering with any other buttons on JRiver, without doing the unsigned driver business, etc. It may not look pretty using this method, but it works. I guess if I were wanting to remap a bunch of buttons or utilizing the many JRiver hidden MCC commands, I would go through all the work of getting the mce plugin working. But I think I'm good with the way things are working so far.

BTW, on my laptop, I used USBDeview to remove the driver(s). Performed the unsigned driver procedure. Plugged in the USB receiver. Ran EG, it performed exactly the same when using HID plugin. Same HID devices, same long codes. I'm not sure but maybe the thinking is that the unsigned driver procedure is needed to get the mce plugin to work? Doesn't appear to have any affect on the HID plugin...

If I do get some free time, I may try getting the mce plugin working on my laptop just for the heck of it.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:21 pm

I think you IR receiver might be a little bit different than the ones I've use, and that's why it utilized that HID Device. I'm not sure if your receiver has an extra HID device, or if mine is missing one though so I guess after enough people try this, it will work. I've done the whole remote thing with JRiver also, and it basically looks to imitate the behavior of an MCE remote. JRiver itself will actually accommodate most of what you want with its internal remote function but when it comes to little things like this, you need something like event ghost.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 pm

@jachin99
If memory serves the Logitech Harmony remotes uses a combination of keyboard emulation and the MCE remote drivers.. and possibly Mouse emulation as well.

@tzr916
It is up to you what you want to do. You happened upon the combination of things that are having some issues. But I will tell you this. I know for a fact that once you see EG in action and have it running properly with what you want to do. It will not end with one key combination macro. This is the worst thing that can happen to a first time user. and I am really really sorry It has happened. But if you walk away now we will have never gotten to what needs to be fixed, or a procedure of things that have to be done to get it to work properly. and if someone else has the same problem we are going to have to start from scratch.

But it is up to you. and I will be OK with whatever decision it is you make. I do hope you will want to continue and get this to work properly, if only for the one reason of. I know you will really understand and see what EG can do for your Home Automation/Home Theater project and will continue to expand upon it's use. And I will tell you this. the more you work for something the more you appreciate it. and that really shows when someone asks you who put together your project for ya.. and you can smile and say I did.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:19 pm

I went ahead and got a jrmc 23 license also so I can test this to some extent. I'm not going to use 90% of its features but the one or two things I need from it I can play around with in EG.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Well, it was working until I rebooted my PC...

-EG started up with windows but it didn't load my saved work, it loaded a default profile.

-Once I loaded my saved profile, the RED button didn't work. Seems all of the saved HID input strings are worthless because pressing the RED mce button now shows completely different HID strings. So I have to go through the same process of pressing the button a hundred times and adding the strings back into the macro.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:56 pm

When i've setup different smart phone remote control applications in the past, I have been presented with a few different options for MCE remote codes because they changed between when mce was introduced in Win XP, and when it was killed off by Microsoft. You could also double check what codes are available for your harmony remote, and see if there are other versions of MCE, or Windows Media Center that will generate unique codes. Check your logitech remote for MCE Keyboard, and Windows Media Center SE codesets in particular.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm

I may have found a way around the long string problem. Go to the shortest string, look at the first number after the "1". That number will be found in every string. Rename/Create a string with that number and some asterisks, then delete/disable all other entries. In this screenshot for example use HID.Button.*22* and delete/disable all the other entries:
Pressing same button.jpg

I'll have to wait until later for a reboot to test- Is there some reason why EG doesn't load the profile that I have saved when the PC boots, but opens the default profile instead? Do I have to save mine in some certain place or certain name so that it runs at PC startup?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 pm

I think I've experienced the same thing with the default tree loading. I think you have to repoint EG to the new save file once, and it remembers it from there but if you can't get it load your custom profile, report back.

fuqit3

Post by fuqit3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 pm

hey guys
This may or may not be relevant but I thought I'd let you know what I found to be a cause of the default profile loading with win 10. Running EG as Admin won't allow it to save (at least on my system) Installing drivers does require to run eg as admin

Christoph21x

Post by Christoph21x » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm

tzr916 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm
I may have found a way around the long string problem. Go to the shortest string, look at the first number after the "1". That number will be found in every string. Rename/Create a string with that number and some asterisks, then delete/disable all other entries. In this screenshot for example use HID.Button.*22* and delete/disable all the other entries:
Hi tzr916
Thanks for your "asterisk hint" - I have the same issue as you have (had?) but the HID.Button.*xx* way doesn't work here: it's not recognized by EG.
Are you using 0.4.1 or any of the new 0.5 RCs?
Kind greetz - Chris

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes using latest 0.5.0-rc4 Jul 16 2017