MCE Remote Plugin error and stopped logging after upgrade to Windows 10

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Possessed

Re: MCE Remote Plugin error and stopped logging after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by Possessed » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 pm

jachin99 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:53 pm
I'm a little confused also about how you hooked up one blaster to two PCs. Every IR receiver I have seen only has one usb cord. Does yours have two USB cords or are you using the small headphone jack like output on the IR receiver to connect one IR receiver to two machines?
I hate to speak for others, but my guess for seth.feinberg configuration:
Has two computers each with an independent ehome IR receiver.
Using a logitech remote with IR Blaster setup that delivers the same IR codes to each of the receivers simultaneously - then using unique code configuration within each EG instance (one set to receive Pioneer and the other Sony Audio Receiver commands) to control them separately.

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm

@kgschlosser Where might I find this file that would help (that I must zip or change to txt)? Somewhere in userdata? Thanks for the new link. I will attempt that soon

@Possessed Pretty much exactly on the nose. Each of the PC's have their own IR receiver, one internal to an internal USB header and the other external to a USB port. There is a blaster that came with and works with my Logitech 900 (which uses RF to communicate to the blaster) that ALL my devices are on (2 PC's, Bluray, DirecTV box, Denon Receiver etc). I use the 2 dummy devices in the Harmony set up so that I can have 2 sets of truly unique commands to send (thus to avoid collisions).

HOPE that's clearer, sorry for the confusion. I just uninstalled BOTH plugins and restarted. Then installed just the MCE Vista/7 Plugin. AND now I remember what went wrong last time:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\MceRemote_Vista\__init__.py", line 737, in OnInstallButton
    ExecAsAdministrator(scriptPath, "Install")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\WinApi\PipedProcess.py", line 167, in ExecAsAdministrator
    return ExecAs(scriptPath, True, funcName, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\WinApi\PipedProcess.py", line 149, in ExecAs
    raise Exception("Child process raised an exception\n" + data)
Exception: Child process raised an exception
Child process traceback (most recent call last)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\WinApi\PipedProcessClient.py", line 170, in Main
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\MceRemote_Vista\Install.py", line 43, in Install
    shutil.copyfile(tmpExe,myExe)
  File "shutil.pyc", line 83, in copyfile
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EventGhost\\plugins\\MceRemote_Vista\\AlternateMceIrService.exe'
I could keep going on right now, but I"m pretty sure whatever my root issue is, it's somehow related to these errors. I'll keep hacking but any suggestions on this new development would be appreciated.

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 pm

@kgschlosser I completed the steps in the fixed link (thanks for that). I get the same error messages in the EventGhost log that I pasted above when I go to Install the Microsoft MCE Remote (Vista+) plugin. Looking into pasting the xml (as a txt/zip) now...

Edit: Figured it out, the egtree.zip should be in your inbox... Thanks again for taking the time

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 am

Did you install the alt. Ir service while running EG as admin? If so it should be listed under services. Just an idea
Last edited by jachin99 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 am

yes, you need to right click on the EventGhost icon and click on run as administrator, it does not matter if your account has administrative privileges. I gave the reason in a previous post as to why.

the file you are looking for is your save file. so if you click on save as it should bring you to the location of the save file.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

@jachin99 Do I have to re-click the "run EventGhost as Administrator" every time the computer is restarted? In any event I'm getting all these errors precisely WHEN i click "Install" on the alt IR driver (right after installing the Plugin). I tried a second time after going to File->Restart EventGhost as administrator.

One thing I didn't try was installing some separate Driver from outside of EventGhost after following the steps in @kgschlosser link.

@kgschlosser I sent you my save file zipped up in a PM, did you get it?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 pm

A few different things, First of all, there is a support page for that particular plugin where you might be able to get a later version of it. Second, and this is a hunch, check in your services under administrative tools to see if the service was installed, and has started. If it has and your still getting errors, try disabling or uninstalling the service, downloading the latest version, and reinstalling it. KG can chime in here to confirm all of this also because Its been a while since I've had problems with it. I'm going to look over the support thread for that plugin also, and I'll post a link here in a second

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6044 Here is the support topic for the plugin. The version that ships with EG isn't the newest.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm

@seth.feinberg

You are going to have to follow these steps exactly as i type them. do not waver from them at all. I am not going to type the reasons as to why because i could write a book if i did.

READ ALL STEPS FIRST if there is something you are unclear on then ask the questions before doing any of this. I will modify the directions so you will understand them better if needed.

First Step

Start EventGhost
In the drop down menu select File --> New
In the drop down menu select File --> Save As
In the Save File dialog that appears choose a location and a name for the save file. It does not matter what this name is this is only going to be for testing purposes.
Then exit EventGhost

Second Step
Go into you Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services.
In the list on the right look and see if AlternameMCEir is in the list. if it is stop there and report back to me that it is. we will have to remove it and that is another process.

Third Step
With you IR receiver plugged in if you installed any Logitech software for the IR receiver/remote you will need to remove this. The harmony remote stores all of its information in the cloud so make sure you have your username and password before doing this. if you do not you will need to get those 2 things before proceeding.

Fourth Step
Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager
You will need to expand all of the item in the "Tree" on the left. Wr re looking for any drivers that have "ehome" or "USBCIR" in the name. if you see these you will want to right click on that driver and click on Uninstall ******DO NOT DELETE THE DRIVER******

DO NOT START/RESTART WINDOWS UNTIL YOU READ THE NEXT 2 STEPS

This is a little tricky but read the next step but do not start/restart windows until you read the step after.

Fifth Step part 1.
Follow the instructions in that link I posted to disable the Driver Signing check. If you have already done this and did not turn it back on then reboot the computer.

Fifth Step part 2.
When you go to boot windows while windows is loading you will need to be pointing the remote at the receiver and press the volume up button. do not hold the button down. keep on tapping it. keep on doing that until windows is completely loaded. and then keep on going after that. you are waiting to hear some device install chimes. i can't remember if there are 2 or 3 of them. but there is more then one.
One you have heard those chimes then you can stop pressing the button on the remote.

Sixth Step.
Login to your computer and install any software for your remote I would suggest going to Logitech's website and grabbing the latest version.
Then reboot and do the volume up button press thing again. this time you may or may not hear some device chimes.

Seventh Step.
Start EventGhost with administrative privileges (right click the icon and click on "runas Administrator" if EG is set to start at boot then you will need to close it and complete the previous instruction before continuing. Once you have EG started download the latest version of the plugin located HERE. you will simply need to run the file that gets downloaded and it will install the updated version.

Once that updated version is installed then you will want to Add the MCE Remote Vista plugin. when you see the config dialog for the plugin you will need to click on "Install alternate MCE IR service". after doing this save your EG session and Exit EG. then reboot the computer. Once the computer is restarted then run EG again. (no need to run it as administrator) and test and see if you get events for any of the button presses.

Report any errors

K

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 am

I was about to do all the steps you wrote but I had one clarification. I was typing it when I thought maybe I should just try the latest version of the plugin first (Sorry I didn't follow the directions verbatim...yet). So I clicked on the link and installed and it seemed to go alright. When I added the plugin to my tree and clicked "Install Service" in the configuration I got a bunch of red text error's like the last time...but this time it ended in:

Code: Select all

WindowsError: [Error 1073] The specified service already exists.
So i tested out the remote and an interesting thing happened. First and foremost I was getting responses in the log for EVERY press. a LOT of responses. For instance, a single touch of Play returns:

MceRemote.Unknown.BEFEBEFEEAEBEAEB8
MceRemote.Unknown.BEFEBEFEEAEFEAEB0
MceRemote.Unknown.BEFEBEFEEAEBEACB8

Or sometimes only 2 of those three or sometimes one that ends in 98 and not B8 or B0. Pressing the directional pad returns the previous Keyboard.Up still but also:

MceRemote.Unknown.57DFC0CF7F7F07D08
MceRemote.Unknown.5FDFC0CDFF7707F00
MceRemote.Unknown.5DFDC0CDFDDF0F700
MceRemote.Unknown.5DF7F7F77F7F7F7DF00

I might have mistyped a few there but you get the gist. This change the directions at all?

If not my clarification is that you a few times mention uninstalling and reinstalling the Logitech Software for the IR Receiver/Remote. There isn't really any software besides the one that accesses and edits that cloud configuration you were talking about, is that what you mean? That seems unrelated to how the remote actually works. The IR Receiver is not a Logitech product afterall.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 am

Those look like the codes your remote is probably sending. I'm not sure that the updated plugin has an updated service to go with it but I doubt it does. It might be a good idea to follow those steps anyway BUT what you need are some unique codes to generate your events. KG can confirm this is a good idea but what I have done in the past, I believe, is to add your IR receiver via the Generic HID plugin. Look at the tutorials section if you want, and I'll do the same but I think there is a way to get unique codes. As long as you can grab a unique code for each button then you should be ok.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 am

if you are receiving events using the MCE Remote Vista plugin then you need not use the Generic HID plugin

The MCE IR Plugin intercepts all remote codes. from any remote. go ahead and try it out if ya like with another remote.

There are a whole slew of different remote IR control protocols. some of them repeat the same code 3 times. other have rolling codes between button presses. some send 3 different codes. This is going to be on you to determine what the common denominator is with your specific remote.

If you press each button 3 times and then copy and paste the output from your log into a post i will be able to sift through it. You will need to maybe paste it into a text file and group the 3 button presses together with the button name. i know this is a bit of a headache but because there are so many variations to this IR protocols there is really no way to map them all out.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:30 pm

What about configuring the remote to send Lirc Codes, and adding the Lirc plugin to EG? As long as the reciver can "see" the commands this might be another way to generate unique codes. I use the Visa+ MCE plugin to send IR codes to my TV but I have to use Generic HID to recieve events from my RF remote (Not IR).

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 pm

@kgschlosser you're just going to look at my pasted text file and look for the specific codes that appear in all 3 presses right? I can def do that myself if so, but thank you for the offer

@jachin99 Some quick googling didn't yield an obvious way to add an LIRC Device and even if I could, it would probably be more difficult to create unique codes (but that's just conjecture on how Logitech would create the device IF they did). So that won't be any easier.

I guess I'm just curious why EventGhost lists these as Unknown devices and why all of a sudden it reads so many button presses when before it was one press to one response. I think i can still find unique codes from the many things that print in the log on presses, but it seems like it might have consistency issues...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 am

@seth.feinberg

That depends.. do the same 3 codes come up every time the same key is pressed? and do any of those codes also appear in any of the other key presses???.

Basically if the same 3 comes up all the time. then I would check all of the other keys and see if any of the original 3 come up in any of the other key presses. there could be a chance that the first and last codes are like a header and a signature. and the middle code is the one you would want to use in events. Something to that effect. I would write a small program to read them all and spit out an answer. as staring at those kinds of things can drive the eyes and the brain a little crazy. But if you want to analyze them yourself you are more then welcome to. Just trying to help ya out and save you some aggravation and time. Up to you

All the alternateMCEir service does is intercept the information that is sent from the ehome driver to Windows. so if Microsoft or Logitech in some way has changed something where more information is passed between the 2 then that would be a reason. other then that I am not sure.