EventGhost crashes and stays red/disabled

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.

EventGhost crashes and stays red/disabled

Postby panni » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:32 am

Hey,

I've tried both the current stable version of EG, as well as the 0.5.0-beta5. Both show the same problem in the debug log:

Code: Select all
05:06:56: 0 MainMessageReceiver: timeout TriggerEventWait
  File "threading.pyc", line 504, in __bootstrap
  File "threading.pyc", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "threading.pyc", line 484, in run
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Utils.py", line 129, in LogItWithReturnWrapper
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 354, in __MainLoop
    self.__DoOneEvent()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 334, in __DoOneEvent
    self.__PumpWaitingMessages()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 303, in __PumpWaitingMessages
    while PeekMessage(byref(msg), 0, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MessageReceiver.py", line 138, in WindowProc
    res = handler(hwnd, mesg, wParam, lParam)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Utils.py", line 117, in LogItWrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\System\PowerBroadcastNotifier.py", line 68, in OnPowerBroadcast
    source=self.plugin
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventThread.py", line 136, in TriggerEventWait
    traceback.print_stack()
11:49:57: 0 MainMessageReceiver: SessionChangeNotifier.OnSessionChange(hwnd=51253656, msg=689L, wparam=8L, lparam=1)

and

09:50:20: 0 MainMessageReceiver: timeout TriggerEventWait
  File "threading.pyc", line 774, in __bootstrap
  File "threading.pyc", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "threading.pyc", line 754, in run
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 280, in __MainLoop
    self.__DoOneEvent()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 261, in __DoOneEvent
    self.__PumpWaitingMessages()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 287, in __PumpWaitingMessages
    while PeekMessage(byref(msg), 0, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MessageReceiver.py", line 127, in WindowProc
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Utils.py", line 407, in LogItWrapper
    eg.PrintDebugNotice(funcName + argString)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\Log.py", line 163, in PrintDebugNotice
    sys.stderr.write(" ".join(strs) + "\n")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\Log.py", line 70, in write
    log.Write(data, ERROR_ICON)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\Log.py", line 240, in Write
    wx.CallAfter(self._WriteLine, line, icon, wRef, when, eg.indent)
  File "wx\_core.pyc", line 16772, in CallAfter
  File "wx\_core.pyc", line 8410, in PostEvent
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MessageReceiver.py", line 127, in WindowProc
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Utils.py", line 408, in LogItWrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\System\PowerBroadcastNotifier.py", line 67, in OnPowerBroadcast
    source=self.plugin
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventThread.py", line 151, in TriggerEventWait
    traceback.print_stack()
09:50:15: 0 MainMessageReceiver: PowerBroadcastNotifier.OnPowerBroadcast(dummyHwnd=987422, msg=536L, wparam=18L, dummyLParam=0)

Can anyone help me? Full log and config are attached.

Thank you!
Attachments
eventghost.xml
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Log.txt
(18.61 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
panni

Re: EventGhost crashes and stays red/disabled

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:20 pm

well i can tell you this... the config file you posted is not the same version of EG that the log file is from.

from the xml file
<EventGhost Version="0.5.0-beta5" Guid="{F2E64201-C644-4B1C-9979-0F060FEBF94E}" Time="1485506742.38">

from the log
09:56:47: 0 MainThread: ----------------------------------------
09:56:47: 0 MainThread:         EventGhost started
09:56:47: 0 MainThread: ----------------------------------------
09:56:47: 0 MainThread: Version: 0.4.1.r1722

I would run a single version of EG. with a new tree. and see if the problem persists and send that log over.

not sure what ya have going on but i need updated files and xml files. that are from the same version of EG
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby panni » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:08 am

Hey,

Thanks for your answer. I've only tried the new version to see whether the error goes away or not.

I can re-post the error logs using the old version, no problem.
panni

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 pm

have you tried uninstalling EG and reinstalling it?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby panni » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:38 pm

I've just done that. I'll get back to you once I can reproduce the issue.
panni

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 pm

OK good.. and let me know either way what happens. and what version of EG you are running.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby blaher » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:26 am

I was getting a wrong version error in my log too, even after uninstalling EG. I figured out it was my AlternateMceIrService in the plugins folder, which was running even after EG shut down, and thus the entire plugins directory, and probably some root EG files weren't being uninstalled/deleted.

Now I've manually uninstalled it I'll see if the triangle stays red and stops logging keystrokes, etc. like it was before.
blaher
Experienced User

Postby blaher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 am

blaher wrote:I was getting a wrong version error in my log too, even after uninstalling EG. I figured out it was my AlternateMceIrService in the plugins folder, which was running even after EG shut down, and thus the entire plugins directory, and probably some root EG files weren't being uninstalled/deleted.

Now I've manually uninstalled it I'll see if the triangle stays red and stops logging keystrokes, etc. like it was before.

It seems far more stable now after a clean install. One quirk is that right clicking on the taskbar icon and selecting 'exit' doesn't work. Opening EG then going to file/exit does.
blaher
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:49 pm

@blaher
I am completely lost with this. what exactly is the problem?, can it be reproduced?, what windows version?, what EG version?, what plugins are involved(if any)?, is debugging being run at the same time?

explain the steps in detail as to what is the cause of the problem if you found the cause.
explain the steps in detail as to the solution if you have found one.

last i knew with this @panni was going to reinstall EG and have not heard back.. and didn't know if there was still an issue.

I do not even know if your issue is the same as @panni. I never got any further then having him/her reinstall EG. so you are going to have to take it from the top.

Sorry I dropped my crystal ball the other day. and my mind reading ability is not up to par LOL.. I'm playing with ya.. but seriously we need to go through this one bit at a time. the reason why is if there is an issue with a beta we need to fix it. and in order to fix it we need to replicate it consistently.

I know it sounds stupid but unless we can get it to mess up 100% of the time we will not know if the fix will work 100% of the time.

I like that statement above. I think it explains a whole lot about how we resolve bugs in a really simple one liner.

But we need to know every single step.. right down to something like whether you saved your EG session or not.. it's usually the routine things that are not said and get passed over that are the lynch pin of the bug being consistent.

I know I know it's a lot of work to do this.. Trust me I have done this a WHOLE lot but your best bet is a pen and a piece of paper and write down everything you do. and you will have to do this over and over again shrinking that list of steps to it's utmost smallest amount of steps. if you want to snap a photo of the steps instead of typing them in that would be ok (English only please) and I can help to eliminate parts of it as you go along.

Now... I have encountered an issue with Eventghost when installing and there is a previous version installed. I am not sure if this is specific to my machine or not. but if you have a different version of EG installed and the Uninstaller goes to uninstall it. The new version actually starts the old version so it can delete any of the .pyc files that it has created when the old version is done doing this it is supposed to end. but for some reason it does not. the process stays running. I just discovered this about 2 days ago and have not looked into it but if you are experiencing the same kind of a problem then i will shift tasks and start finding a solution.

But from what it sounds like is that the AlternateMCEservice is causing your problem. and this to could be causing mine as well. and if that is the case then this needs to be moved to the MCE Remote plugin thread where the original developer or the current person that is maintaining the code for it can investigate and fix it. bet lets start from the top to isolate the problem first and make sure 100% of what it is instead of just passing the buck to someone else. because EG if it is not able to remove a file on uninstall is supposed to pass it and continue with uninstalling the rest of the files. not get all hung up and stop.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby blaher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:38 am

I have no problem now, apart from the little taskbar quirk mentioned. The uninstall program seemed to thwarted by the AlternateMCEservice, which isn't stopped and therefore can't be deleted.

That was my experience at least, but it works fine now. I'll post if there's any bugs I encounter now that it's installed properly.
blaher
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:59 am

what taskbar quirk?

ok i see it...

it doesn't work at all?

Oh yeah... only when it's minimized it doesn't work. how interesting... i will fix it in a couple of hours. i have to get a couple of hours sleep in.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports