Event Ghost Stops Acknowledging New Events

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.

Event Ghost Stops Acknowledging New Events

Postby demiller66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:35 pm

I have windows 7 64bit, a tira (rec/trans), a harmony one remote. I have installed eventghost with the Tira plugin and have created numerous actions for my hometheater pc. Generally, eventghost works well; however, on occassion, it stops recognizing that the remote has sent a signal and no events are recorded. I can uninstall the plugin and reinstall, and the majority of times, it will fix the problem. Also, sometimes I can close eventghost and rerun, and this might fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, is there a fix?
Thanks.
demiller66

Re: Event Ghost Stops Acknowledging New Events

Postby jca2010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 am

I have windows 7 64bit, a tira (rec/trans), a harmony one remote

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but if I can get past the first step maybe I can help... I also have win7 64bit, tira-2, and a harmony one. I'm running on an Atom 330 ION motherboard (Zotac).

I wasn't able to make the tira-2 drivers from home-electro.com work (the virtual serial port COM3 wasn't functioning), but I was able to download updated USB/Serial drivers from ftdichip.com. This made the COM3 port work, however, EventGhost can't seem to initialize the Tira-2 plugin. I expect it's my frankenstein driver setup that's preventing it. On another note, WinLIRC can see data from the remote, but I can't consistently train it. I'd rather use EventGhost.

Can you tell me what your driver setup is for Windows 7? And did you manually set the COM port settings?

If I can get EG to recognize it I'll try to reproduce your problem.

Cheers
jca2010

Postby jca2010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:52 am

Managed to get the drivers set up right. EventGhost can now see my remote. I haven't seen any cases where it stops responding, but I do get freezes running XBMC. For now I suspect XBMC, but I suppose it could be related to any part of the IR chain from Win7 to Tira to XBMC.

Will let you know if I narrow it down.
jca2010

Postby d3vkit » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Was wondering if anyone had any luck installing Tira 2. on Win7 64 (well apparently the OP did); I am not getting far at all. When I use the drivers provided by Tira, the device installs to USB port instead of COM (and makes my usb port show as not installed), and EventGhost doesn't see Tira. I tried the FTDI drivers that jca2010 mentioned, but windows says it can't find any in that folder. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I had this installed on Win7 RC1, so what's changed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I haven't found this problem anywhere else online.

Edit: Fixed this!

I took the inf files from the tira driver and replaced those found in the ftdi driver (ftdibus.inf and ftdiport.inf). I then told my device manager to install the files for the Tira - the usual thing happened where it saw Tira as a usb device and made an unknown usb device. Well FTDI's instructions said something about installing the driver twice - I had prevuiously been trying it on the tira, but it means the mystery USB device. It will now show up as COM3.

In eventghost, if you have the tira plugin installed, delete it and readd using com3 (you might be able to just change this from the properties menu of the installed plugin; IDK, I deleted and readded.)

Works perfectly now. Thanks for the FTDI hint!
d3vkit

Postby ArgentoSystems » Wed May 19, 2010 9:00 pm

Please use the following driver to install Tira on Vista/7/64-bit systems.

www.home-electro.com/download/CDM_2.06.00Tira.zip
ArgentoSystems

Postby majdielsadek » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I am new to this, but wondering if anyone else has been having issue with Tira-2 drivers under Windows 7 64 bit. i installed the drivers designed for 64 bit from home-electronics as suggested in the post. it didn't install first time (cannot start device error) then worked second time around but everytime the pc is rebooted or device is unpllugged device manager shows Tria 2 as unknown usb device. even when it finally got the driver to work, it stops after less than a minute while running EventGhost.

anyone think it could be a hardware issue? i tried the drivers on 2 different PC but both of them are running 64 bit.

Thanks. Majdi
majdielsadek

Postby yattayatta » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:23 am

Hello & sorry for the necro.

I have a Tira receiver and cant get it to work on windows 10.

Tried both the official drivers and those mentioned here but no matter what I try windows refuses them and consider the device is fine installed as a generic "USB input device".

Any ideas ?
yattayatta

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:23 pm

READ EVERY LINE OF THIS BEFORE YOU DO IT

yattayatta wrote:Hello & sorry for the necro.

I have a Tira receiver and cant get it to work on windows 10.

Tried both the official drivers and those mentioned here but no matter what I try windows refuses them and consider the device is fine installed as a generic "USB input device".

Any ideas ?

i am assuming this is for a remote control

and if so this is been a pretty good way of dealing with remote problems.

this is what you need to do.

go into device manager. and remove and drivers for the remote.

you can figure this out if you plug the device in while in device manager. you will see it install.

right click the driver click uninstall..

then reboot the computer.

DO NOT UNPLUG THE REMOTE RECEIVER OR SCAN FOR NEW HARDWARE

you have to reboot the computer

while the computer is rebooting. pick any button on the remote and tape it point the remote at the receiver and keep on tapping the button.

you should hear 3 new device install tones from the computer once it boots up fully.

windows 10 may be a little different with this. but this works with windows 7 and people have had good luck with it working in windows 10

but from my understanding of what is happening is while windows is installing the drivers the remote goes to "sleep mode" and screws up the installation part way through that is why you get either a generic device or an Unknown USBCIR device

look around for that second one also it could be under the system or the usb section in the device manager you will need to uninstall that one also.

and by taping any button on the remote keeps the thing awake. and you will only have to do this once.

let me know if it helps you out. but this is the way to clean up the driver install for remotes in windows.

another method that has helped is you have to change the usb port the receiver is plugged into. some of them do not like usb 3.0 so make sure it is a usb2.0 and also with how the board manufacturers like to dasy change usb hubs one on top of another being at the first level usb port can also fix the problem.

i have heard that possible getting a cheap non powered usb hub and plugging into that and having that plugged in has also worked for some.

give it a shot. and let me now

K
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby yattayatta » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Hello and thank you for taking time to reply my question. Unfortunately I cant try the remote buttons method as the receiver I have is a very simple, basic one, no remote included :
vhttp://www.home-electro.com/products/tira4[/url]

So far my problem seems not to be the detection of the hardware as windows reacts appropriately when i plug / unplug it, but the identification of it. It stays listed as a generic "usb input device", not something more specific, and no COM port is created for it - as far as I understand, it should create one if the right drivers are used.

I did try using others usb ports tough, no effect.

My goal is to read received signal from that device and use it to code arround that. Any ways to achieve that reading would be fine.
yattayatta

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:59 am

pick up any remote you have. doesn't matter as long as it's IR

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:01 am

there should be no com port. and it shouldn't install as a generic usb device. it should install as an ehome ir receiver.

it's doing the generic thing because it falls asleep before windows gets to load all the right drivers. that's why you have to keep on sending IR to keep it awake until windows finishes. you will only have to do this one time.

K

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:10 am

oooooooookkkk. that does have a com port. and it will not work with the MCE Remote plugin.

viewtopic.php?t=569

take a look here

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby yattayatta » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Hello again. I tried many other things, drivers variants, the reboot+remote tricks and so on, no luck so far. As mentioned im pretty sure this is a driver problem.

I pushed the investigation and it seems the VID/PID for my devices are not listed in the Homelectonics or FTDI dirvers .inf, its a variation.
Since I see tools to change the VID/PID on the FTDI site, I suppose thats what happened to this one (its a leftover from a previous job, which was used to control a streaming box for customers cabins TVs).

Im now trying to find a way to change the VID & PID back to one listed in the driver .inf using the tools found. Ill post again with the results.
yattayatta

Postby yattayatta » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:50 am

I couldnt change the device PID/VID as FTDI tools never detected the device. So i changed the .inf PID/VID to match the ones of the device (trying both HE and FTDI versions), but no luck with that either - whenever I install those drivers the windows driver installation window never ends. Unplugging the device during installation is the only thing making it stop, then the device is recognized as a Tira IR thingie but no COM port appears whatever driver I try to pick, and FTDI tools still dont see it.

Well Im out of option, I guess ill never be able to use it. Unless theres some way to monitor a generic usb device on real time and somehow get some signal out of it ?
yattayatta

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:45 pm

ok, from what i have read it sounds as though you have to install the FTDI drivers

2 times, something with it not getting a second piece properly the first time.

then you have to alter the Tira plugin the __init__.py file and near the top there is a spot that says Hardware ID

and you have to change that to the hardware if found on the device in device manager

this is from some brief skimming.

it mentioned nothing about changing INF files. and once you do that anyways the driver won't install without change the way windows is allowed to install drivers.

this really sounds like a problem with the actual receiver and the drivers it installs. you would probably have a lot more luck talking with the people that make the device then anyone in here. i do not own one of these things to be able to walk through what is going on. and there is just a whole lot of things i cannot help with from a forum. to many troubleshooting steps.

if you want to allow an RDP session with TeamViewer for me to take a look because there could be something that i would see that could fix it and wouldn't even think about asking.

and this way i would also write down the steps we took to get the thing working properly and post it up on the forum here for others

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bug Reports