EG Hang: Is log entry made at start or end of action/event?

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.

EG Hang: Is log entry made at start or end of action/event?

Postby wysocki » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Over the past few months now, EG has decided to act up and hang for "no apparent reason". I notice this because my home automation commands appear to be ignored or delayed at times but I've never been able to determine the cause because I'm not near the computer when it happens. I just noticed that several things that should have happened in the past several minutes, didn't. I went to the console and looked at the log: the last item there was:
2016-07-21 15:21:35 ACTION: CM11A: M2 : Dim

Then, as I was watching, about 5 minutes later, a TON of events & actions streamed into the log, all stamped at 15:21:54 starting with this one:
2016-07-21 15:21:54 ACTION: Webserver: Broadcast values: mailState,mailNotify,mailOTime

So either the CM11A held things up or the broadcast did. Does the log show an item as it's about to perform or does it display AFTER the fact? I wonder if either the CM11A or Webserver plugin is at fault, but EG seems to be iffy much of the time. Like if I "Exit" from the program, there's still a process running that I must kill with task manager. Should I reinstall EG? Is there a better way than the log to debug hang issues?
wysocki

Re: EG Hang: Is log entry made at start or end of action/eve

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:31 am

if you run eventghost from a command line with the -debug switch it will log entries into a log file located in your c:\Users\**SOMEUSER**\AppData\Roaming\EventGhost folder.

the -debug switch will have eg log all the back end stuff. so it will have a lot of extra information about what is going on and possibly what is causing EG to hang. if you could add that file as a file attachment i can review it and hopefully tell you what is going on.
Brain Test:
How much dirt is in a hole 2' X 2' X 2' ???
-----------------------------------------------------
Your in a house with an all southern view. You look out a window and see a bear....
What color is it? And why?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports