Notification Icon with 4 LEDS

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Notification Icon with 4 LEDS

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 am

its actually funny because if I hadn't done a revamp of the system.device portion for EG 0.5 I would not have had a clue how to go about it. so I am guessing it is a good thing this is taking a while. LOL. I am going to be able to make all the features work. but I am going to be able to make it so that the user can choose what they want.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi there,

just wanted to check if you had the time to dig deeper recently on this feature ? :)

thanks !

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 pm

I have found out that one of the features to you want the enabling and disabling of network adapters has an issue. The issue is you have to run EG as administrator for this to work. This was a recent discovery this past weekend.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 pm

oups, too bad :?

well I think we will have to pass on this one... it's ok, we can't get it all, it's like in real life lol, the main thing for me is the discrete visual alert (ie, the led icon), the remaining is just bonus :) but would be very happy to have as well of course :p

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Can do. Sorry for the long wait. I got wrapped up in EG development. But we are almost to a final release. So we aren't adding anything new. We are going to do bug fixes from this point forward.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 am

I understand, no worries :)

What I can suggest, is to do this plugin in several steps, this way we will have something already available and working, and when you have spare time you can work on the next step, etc. Because from what I see, you want to implement many things at once, which is good but it obviously needs more time.
it's just a thought, at the end of the day you decide what's best for you :)

Thanks.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm

That is what I am doing. I am making it so that the user can expand it. not me.. and that's the hard part.. I know I can make it expandable if I or another programmer wants to. but that doesn't help a user. I have it set up so that the led's are set by events that take place.. the user has to enter the event name for the various states. and choose the color for that state. an also enter what they want to display as a tool tip. I am currently trying to get the thing so you can drag and drop the event onto the config dialog as this would make it easier. But I am also trying to think forward while i do this. we are starting to implement an event list in EG. this event list gets filled by the plugin if the plugin author has done so. it would add the event name and a description of the event. so I want to have the tool tip default to the event description if one exists. I am also thinking into the future and the events threading thing i mentioned. and I would like to see this be able to be used for notification if a specific event is in a running state as well. so I am trying to make it so that when that gets added i won't have to rewrite the thing to add that to it.. it would be nice to have the visual indication if a specific event is running. the current EG icon does something similar but it is not specific to one event it shows all. The reason for doing this is because this could end up in the core programming. it is a fantastic idea if implemented properly. I want to be able to give the user the ability to add macros to the dropdown as well. so they can customize what they want to have in that menu.. and not just give men what we want. this is where i am stuck because it would use the same drag and drop. i need to have that drag and drop working to be able to execute the macro. and I have never done a drag and drop with python wx between 2 different windows. I know it can be done. but it's a learning curve.

Because if i am able to to do the running of macros then i would not need to add any of the menu options you outlined, you could add them yourself through the use of macros. you could add anything you wanted at that point.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 pm

I see your point and it totally makes sense to me. You want to build something that's durable, versatile and easy to use, you can't go wrong with this in mind. Do what you have to do, no worries, I completely understand !

good luck (you're gonna need some i think) :)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 am

no luck involved..

now Google on the other hand.. LOL

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey there ;)

I was just wondering if you have made any progress on this feature ? I know you've been busy lately with the upcoming version of EG, but I'm trying my luck :) who knows.

Thanks.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 pm

well we just got into the release candidates. So it's only bug fixes from here and since we release RC2 I haven't had any bug reports as of yet so that's a good thing. I just finished up a plugin that i promised to do a a while back. (and also because my lighting controller died) got side tracked with that. I still have to get all my lights moved to the new system. but that's not a huge deal now that I know the new setup is going to work. I plan on working on the plugin again later today. I am going to give it my all and hopefully I can get a working release either today or tomorrow.

I still have to hammer out that drag and drop thing. but I may for go that for the moment and you can manually enter the event. the actual icon is done. and i am 1/2 way through the Config dialog for it. The icons are going to set up like so.

the orientation all depends on if you have say led1 and led3 active. or led1 and led2 or all 4. At the moment there are going to be 3 states. On, Off and Unknown. each color you will be able to choose. you are also going to be able to add text for the tool tip box. as well as be able to add or remove specific parameters. I was thinking about adding the ability for the user to run specific macros from the menu.
icon_layout.png
icon_layout.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 2057 times

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Hey that's great !! :)

What you did so far is more than sufficient, so no worries about that, you can always implement the remaining things later, at least we will have something working and already very useful ! :) I'm looking forward beta testing it !

BTW, is there a way for you to really separate each LED, I mean when 2 LEDs with the same color are side by side it is showing in one block, like a big rectangular LED, would be nice if possible to separate them, just like I did in my initial screenshot, not a big deal though, you can arrange this later, I'm just being picky :p

Just let me know when and where I can download the beta to "play" with it :) (give the bone to the dog LOL )

Many, many thanks again !!!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:25 pm

no there is a black stripe between them. and you are going to have to choice to pick the colors

Sory for the lack of a release. my refrigerator broke and monopolized a whole lot of my time. if nothing crazy happens today I will be working on it,

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi,

I hope you fixed your refrigerator by now :) I'm still fetching for my bone LOL

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Kevin,