Remove obsolete plugins from distribution

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.
blackwind
Experienced User

Remove obsolete plugins from distribution

Post by blackwind » Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 am

Included in every EventGhost installation are several plugins for scheduling, several plugins for process monitoring, several plugins for network events, and so forth. I propose we create a list of plugins we agree are now obsolete and then move those plugins into EventGhost\obsolete\.

Two benefits:
  • Existing users with an existing config utilizing these plugins won't be affected, as the installer doesn't remove existing files. In the event that the user uninstalls or formats, they can easily retrieve the plugins they require from the "obsolete" folder.
  • Users new and old alike won't get confused or waste time configuring obsolete plugins.
Thoughts? Preliminary lists of obsolete plugins?
/bw

Owel

Re: Remove obsolete plugins from distribution

Post by Owel » Mon May 27, 2013 10:52 am

+1

blackwind
Experienced User

Post by blackwind » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:59 pm

As the Git repository draws closer and closer to completion, I wanted to once again touch base on this topic. Because there've been no responses to date, am I to understand that every plugin included with EventGhost is 100% necessary and there's no fat to be trimmed whatsoever?
/bw

Krafty

Post by Krafty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Yeah, I agree. The plugin list could be cleaned up a bit.

madman

Post by madman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:34 am

+1 tnx

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I think the XBMC Event Receiver can be removed when my XBMC2 plugin is finished, it has all the functionality already in the latest test version.

Unfortunately I haven't finished the XBMC2 plugin and I don't want it to be included as it is now. I have no idea when I am able to finish it. I hesitated to post this as I can't recommend the removal until my plugin is ready.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

blackwind wrote:Included in every EventGhost installation are several plugins for scheduling, several plugins for process monitoring, several plugins for network events, and so forth. I propose we create a list of plugins we agree are now obsolete and then move those plugins into EventGhost\obsolete\.
Two benefits:
  • Existing users with an existing config utilizing these plugins won't be affected, as the installer doesn't remove existing files. In the event that the user uninstalls or formats, they can easily retrieve the plugins they require from the "obsolete" folder.
  • Users new and old alike won't get confused or waste time configuring obsolete plugins.
Thoughts? Preliminary lists of obsolete plugins?
I am personally against it.
I (actually for myself, because I'm creating builds) had earlier declared a "stop condition".
This means not only that no plugins are added, but even removed.
I think we need to do another major change.
At that worked Bitmonster, just before he left the project.
More about it you can read in this post: Notes for plugin developers (2009 5 19 Tue, 22:43).

We can certainly do it differently (for example without wiki), but I think the basic idea is correct.

Once this feature will be functional, we can remove almost all the plugins and every user downloads only those plugins that he really needs.

Pako

cupidsrose

Post by cupidsrose » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 am

Hi, everybody, I am a new friend.