Website update

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.

Website update

Postby WoLpH » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Hey guys,

One of the things that has been bugging me for quite a while is the current EventGhost homepage, it's not ugly or anything but it looks soooo dated. The Copyright notice even says 2009...

Would anyone oppose an update to the homepage to at least a fairly recent bootstrap layout with any bootstrap compatible theme so everything looks a bit more modern. Just a new homepage with a few extra screenshots could do a lot in not scaring away new users :)

In the same regard, what is the current status of the revision control system? It's not linked on the site as far as I could find and I see both a sourceforge project with svn (with recent updates) and a less recent github project.
https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost
http://sourceforge.net/p/eventghost/code/HEAD/tree/

Which would be preferred for pull requests?
Author of the book Mastering Python. Got Python questions? Perhaps I can help :)
WoLpH
Experienced User

Re: Website update

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:58 am

Right on.

On the same page as you..

need a page that shows the coders ability while maintaining simplicity.

Your right in saying it need an update, looks like something my pops would have made with frontpage back in the AOL days. (and i'm 40) LOL

K
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 am

Idea...

Live online demo..

PURE EG.

web interface, live screen capture of what EG is doing. but also something like a live webview of a room with the ability to turn lights on and off, and change TV channels.

IDK work in progress...

but all with existing plugins. no scripting or coding.

i'll donate the room if needed

K
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:49 am

WoLpH wrote: I see both a sourceforge project with svn (with recent updates) and a less recent github project.
https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost
http://sourceforge.net/p/eventghost/code/HEAD/tree/

and this one: https://github.com/Pako2/EventGhost
It just makes it more difficult for people to contribute code when there are multiple repositories. SourceForge has gone completely evil and I'd love to see EventGhost move over to GitHub but if the GitHub repositories are abandoned then please delete them.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby WoLpH » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:56 pm

I've sent Pako a mail to ask if he's willing to help with this.

Does anyone know who owns/maintains the EventGhost project on Github?
Author of the book Mastering Python. Got Python questions? Perhaps I can help :)
WoLpH
Experienced User

Postby Pako » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:30 pm

I apologize for the delayed response, but I've been busy lately.
I do not speak English, and I need some time to write and translation of the post.
WoLpH wrote:I've sent Pako a mail to ask if he's willing to help with this:
Hi Lubos,
First of all, I wish to thank you for all your contributions to EventGhost. It's greatly appreciated.
With regards to EventGhost I was wondering what the future plans for the project are. The site looks very dated and the main subversion (trunk) is nearly 5 years old. There are multiple repositories on Github which are also quite dated and it appears that your branch on Subversion is the only active one.
With all of that I think EventGhost is not getting the love and attention it deserves. I know there are several people (myself included) more than happy to help get the project into a more modern state. So I wonder, would you be ok with a move to Github? We could even easily add automated testing builds using AppVeyor: https://www.appveyor.com/
The discussion on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7382
Either way, I'm offering my help if you're interested. In case you need some background information about me. I'm already the maintainer of several projects and would be happy to check on EventGhost pull requests as well.
My Github: https://github.com/WoLpH/

Best, Rick
I am not the author or owner EventGhost. So I can not be against the move to Github, if it is the desire of most developers. However, I have no pleasure in it. SVN repository suits me because it is very simple. I do not know how to work with Github.
If I am not mistaken, (currently) I'm the only person who is able to create a new EventGhost build. I have no pleasure in this fact.
But it has one consequence.
I have only one computer, which is set for this task. It should also be noted that the compilation EventGhost is based on the fact that the repository is type of SVN and after moving to Github, it is necessary to adjust the appropriate code.
So I have this attitude:
1) You can work on moving to Github.
2) Once you are able to release new builds from Github, then I can leave the SVN repository and add to you. Until then, I can not interfere with the computer settings, even in the code that relates to the compilation from the SVN repository.

Regarding AppVeyor, I can not imagine how (currently) do "automated testing builds". I'm not even able to prepare a second physical computer that could create EventGhost builds.

Pako
Pako
Plugin Developer

Postby dequi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:07 pm

...moving here from viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9133&p=43565#p43565

small recap of the to-do items so far:

demo site at: https://dequi.github.io
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby dequi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:21 pm

topix wrote:
dequi wrote:Got the 'included' plugins already finished on the demo site:
Do you edit the list manually or have that list created automatically from a database? Would it be possible to extract the information from an .egplugin-file (zip-file)? I ask because maybe we could share the same list with the plugin-manager?

Currently it's a manual list, based upon the older lists available on the website and documentation, and the plugins in the https://github.com/eventghost/eventghost repository

At this point I'm trying to figure out how to generate a list from all the forum posted plugins. I have a SQL database backup dated 03.09.2016 and with this query
Code: Select all
SELECT
    phpbb_topics.forum_id,
    phpbb_forums.forum_name,
    phpbb_attachments.topic_id,
    phpbb_topics.topic_title,
    phpbb_attachments.post_msg_id,
    phpbb_posts.post_subject,
    phpbb_attachments.poster_id,
    phpbb_users.username,
    phpbb_attachments.attach_id,
    phpbb_attachments.physical_filename,
    phpbb_attachments.real_filename,
    phpbb_attachments.extension,
    phpbb_attachments.attach_comment,
    phpbb_attachments.download_count,
    phpbb_attachments.filesize,
    phpbb_attachments.filetime,
    CONCAT('http://www.eventghost.net/forum/download/file.php?id=', phpbb_attachments.attach_id) AS file_url,
    CONCAT('http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=', phpbb_topics.forum_id, '&t=',phpbb_attachments.topic_id) AS topic_url,
    CONCAT('http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=', phpbb_topics.forum_id, '&t=',phpbb_attachments.topic_id,'#p', phpbb_attachments.post_msg_id) AS post_url
FROM
    phpbb_attachments
INNER JOIN phpbb_topics
    ON phpbb_attachments.topic_id = phpbb_topics.topic_id
INNER JOIN phpbb_forums
    ON phpbb_topics.forum_id = phpbb_forums.forum_id
INNER JOIN phpbb_users
    ON phpbb_attachments.poster_id = phpbb_users.user_id
INNER JOIN phpbb_posts
    ON phpbb_attachments.post_msg_id = phpbb_posts.post_id
WHERE
    phpbb_attachments.extension NOT IN ('gif','jpg','png', 'jpeg', 'xml', 'cpp', 'h', 'log', 'txt', 'tiff')
ORDER BY
    phpbb_attachments.topic_id ASC,
    phpbb_attachments.physical_filename ASC,
    phpbb_attachments.filetime ASC;

I have it at 1275 attachment posts that could be plugins (.py, .zip, .7z) some of them are patches, updates.

If I change the where clause to remove active plugin developers that could add their own plugins
Code: Select all
WHERE
    phpbb_attachments.extension NOT IN ('gif','jpg','png', 'jpeg', 'xml', 'cpp', 'h', 'log', 'txt', 'tiff')
    AND phpbb_users.username NOT IN ('Pako', 'Sem;colon', 'jonib', 'kgschlosser', 'krambriw', 'topix')

I get it down to 665 attachments I need to go trough, but actually this also weeds out all patches by the developers to other plugins too.
only then I can get some type of script build to run trough them.
have to put my thinking cap on :wink:
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby topix » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:46 pm

dequi wrote:I get it down to 665 attachments I need to go trough, but actually this also weeds out all patches by the developers to other plugins too.
only then I can get some type of script build to run trough them.
have to put my thinking cap on :wink:
What about use that list to download the attachments. Then make a script that read the plugin infos (name, version, guid) from the file and build a list together with SQL infos (attachment was in post number, date when posted). I think with all that infos it would make it easier to filter and sort out.
topix
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 pm

hey dequi. i would make the site in a way that it doesn't rely on the use of the forum. or if you do have it so that you can easily swap things out because if for some reason the forum software changes. then the site has to be rewritten as well... and to be honest with ya. I would love to see phpbb go bye-bye. as i am not a forum guru i do not know what is a good alternative.

and on another note. I am almost done with setting up a similar environment for testing website stuff...

i did have to change out the linux flavor as i can't find anything that tell me what GoDaddy uses. but it's probably something like CentOS

but Ubuntu server is what i went with. and i also added the ability to RDP into the Unity desktop. make it a little easier to navigate around in.

this is a first run setup to see if everything will be OK running on hyper-v. i am going to redo it because didn't set the thing up with the same file structure as the current EG webserver
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby dequi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:04 pm

topix wrote:What about use that list to download the attachments. Then make a script that read the plugin infos (name, version, guid) from the file and build a list together with SQL infos (attachment was in post number, date when posted). I think with all that info's it would make it easier to filter and sort out.

Don't need to download. I have them all as a part of the backup I made when I had access. Building a flexible parser is the way to go ... but it still will be a daunting task to sort trough them.
kgschlosser wrote:I would make the site in a way that it doesn't rely on the use of the forum.

It is not the intention to base it on the forum. The task I try to accomplish is to get a starting list of available plugins currently hidden in the forum, unknown and maybe abandoned.
see if we can generate .egplugin file for them, maybe find them a new home and owner :D It's quite a one time deal.

check the demo of a 'database' of plugins generated from a directory of .egplugin files viewtopic.php?f=10&p=43590#p43588
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby Sem;colon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 pm

topix wrote:What about use that list to download the attachments. Then make a script that read the plugin infos (name, version, guid) from the file and build a list together with SQL infos (attachment was in post number, date when posted). I think with all that infos it would make it easier to filter and sort out.

Awesome, but what about just telling the plugin devs where to upload/maintain their plugins? Then the list would magically populate on it's own over time ;-)
If there was a possibility to update the plugin list in the wiki, I would have done that for my plugins years ago, but there wasn't. I guess I'm not the only one willing to do this.
Sem;colon
Experienced User

Postby pearbear » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:00 am

dequi wrote:Integrate the Forum Tutorials and Guides

I'd like to hear more about how you're doing this. Is it an automatic scrape or manually done. My concern is that the duplication of content could lead to there being two different versions of a tutorial. The tutorial author may edit the tutorial over time with corrections, improvements or to reflect changes in EventGhost. If those changes are not quickly reflected in the website content then it is a problem. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the tutorial author to edit their forum post and then also submit a pull request to the website repository with the same change. Another issue I see is that there may be additional useful information in the forum thread that would not be seen in the website version so at least there should be a link to the topic on the forum. I guess I just don't really see any advantage to publishing the forum tutorials on the website. Why not just have a link to that forum section? I would actually prefer to see people publish tutorials in a wiki format than a forum post so that they could be maintained by the community but the feasibility of that would depend on actually providing an easy to edit wiki.

The 3rd party plugin list also causes me similar concerns about trying to keep duplicate content synced. If it can be continuously automatically generated from the Plugin Support section of the forum that's great, but it doesn't sound like there are any plans to do that. If it needs to be manually created and maintained it's likely to end up like the current page in the wiki, completely outdated and worse than useless. It just seems much more simple to add a link to the Plugin Support section of the forum. I'm not crazy about the current system of listing all the plugins in the Plugin Support section of the forum because it's not organized at all and there are a bunch of topics in that section that are not plugins but that is the long established system and likely to be continued. I previously suggested that the Plugin Support section should be specifically only one topic per plugin and nothing else and have offered to help with clearing out all the other topics from that section but there has been no response so I guess nobody else agrees that would be useful.

Judging from the history of this project, it seems likely that there will be long gaps of inactivity in development of the website and it will be extremely difficult for anyone to get any changes made unless they are a member of the select inner circle of a few people(only zian right now I think), who will not be actively doing any development. Therefore, creating structures that will require constant manual intervention to keep up to date is a bad idea unless they offer significant advantages.

I am very excited about the move of the website content to GitHub as a way to make it easier for the community to contribute to the website development. However, if each contribution relies on someone to merge the pull request and then do a build then it will require an actively involved team to run the repository and we will need to convince the people in charge of the EventGhost GitHub organization to give those team members access to the repository. Are you willing to be a member of that team long term dequi? Anyone else? Will there be a vetting process involved in choosing team members or does any random just hit up CarsonF on GitHub and he adds them?
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:04 am

you want me to just pull all the attachments??? would that be easier??

i can backup the database and read as to what phpbb encodes the things with and decode the database entries.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Sem;colon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 pm

pearbear wrote:If it can be continuously automatically generated from the Plugin Support section of the forum that's great, but it doesn't sound like there are any plans to do that. If it needs to be manually created and maintained it's likely to end up like the current page in the wiki, completely outdated and worse than useless.

You know what the problem with the wiki was/is? No one has access to it!
This will not happen to the other page, unless it will be locked down the same way, in that case I 100% agree. ;-)
I can only speak for me of course, but if there was a centralized place to put/list plugins I would so going to use it. (If I have the possibility to, of course)

btw. Not all plugins are stored in the Forum, krambriw for example, uses his own webspace to host plugins and just linked it in the forum.
Sem;colon
Experienced User

Next

Return to Feature Requests