Website update

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.

Re: Website update

Postby pearbear » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks for the update dequi. I figured that life had caught up to you. The holidays are a busy time for me too but I'm starting to recover now and would be happy to help move this forwards.

Lets consider the progress on the various parts of the project:
  • Home Page: Has been implemented on the GitHub wiki.
  • Downloads page: Has been implemented on the GitHub wiki.
  • Wiki: has been implemented on the GitHub wiki.
  • Documentation: Has not yet been implemented. I don't see anyone volunteering to do the work of changing the help file generation and there is some controversy over removing the built-in help.

So it's clear that the only thing that still needs to be done is the documentation and that's a big task. The current documentation system works fine. It's possible for anyone to propose edits by submitting a pull request. I'm not saying that the documentation system can't be improved but I don't want to see that part of the project block the implementation of the rest of it.

So at this point I think the ball is in the court of whoever has the ability to edit the current website. I see no reason why the Home, Downloads, and Wiki can't be immediately moved over to the GitHub wiki pages. We need some communication from the decision makers. If you have any concerns or opinions about this project then please speak up.

By presenting the whole project as one package it's more likely that one controversial change would block the whole thing. It's not an all or nothing deal, the changes to each part of the website can be considered individually. I think it's obvious to everyone that the wiki is broken and something needs to be done about it so that part should have the least chance for conflict.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 am

Do me a favor. Read the description on the github wiki and tell me if the description of EventGhost makes you think that it's an automation tool for controlling Microsoft Windows.

That is just one thing that it does. But the description makes it seem limited to Windows control.

I have EventGhost monitoring my Hot tub.. LOL that has nothing to do with Windows.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 am

And the media portal plugin should be removed as well. Because it's non functional. This is due to changes in media portal and not eg. There has been a new plugin made for either end. But the included EG plugin shouldn't be there any more.

I am happy to see the Harman kardon one removed. As it does not work properly either.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 am

kgschlosser wrote:Do me a favor. Read the description on the github wiki and tell me if the description of EventGhost makes you think that it's an automation tool for controlling Microsoft Windows.

That is just one thing that it does. But the description makes it seem limited to Windows control.

I read it as meaning that the program runs on the windows operating system. It even says that you can "turn on your lights when the sun sets".
kgschlosser wrote:I have EventGhost monitoring my Hot tub.. LOL that has nothing to do with Windows.

You're doing the monitoring on your Windows computer.

I think the focus now should be on moving the existing content rather than modifying that content. Focus on the infrastructure changes that are being proposed. Once the transition has been made editing the content will be very easy for anyone to do. Dequi's work on the wiki should provide enough of a demonstration of the proposal for a decision maker to implement the move or express their reservations on doing so. Of course that content will be improved but until we know whether it's even going to end up being used it's not worth putting a lot of time into that.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:31 am

IDK the wording

EventGhost is an advanced, easy to use and extensible automation tool for MS Windows

firstly anything that is advanced... is generally not easy to use LOL.

"automation tool for MS Windows"
read that.

Looks like a tool for automating MS Windows
don't know. could just be me..

Most people would not even know what extensible would be. but almost everyone know what a plugin is. even tho it is the same thing.

This would be the same thing. I know.
[/code]
EventGhost is an expandable easy to use automation tool
Supported operating systems:
Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 32bit
Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 64bit
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 32Bit
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64Bit
Microsoft Windows 8
Microsoft Windows 8.1
Microsoft Windows 10
[/code]

But there could be no misconception of what it is or does.

Just making suggestions is all.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:41 am

pearbear wrote:I think the focus now should be on moving the existing content rather than modifying that content. Focus on the infrastructure changes that are being proposed. Once the transition has been made editing the content will be very easy for anyone to do. Dequi's work on the wiki should provide enough of a demonstration of the proposal for a decision maker to implement the move or express their reservations on doing so. Of course that content will be improved but until we know whether it's even going to end up being used it's not worth putting a lot of time into that.

I get ya.. But if i don't spew it out now I will forget by time something takes place.

and I have set up a test server if it is needed. running Ubuntu, Apache, MySql, PHPMyAdmin, PHP, XRDP (with access to the unity desktop). And I have also made a duplicate of the forum database and it is already added to MySQL.

I do not know all of the back end crap to move the entire website... well I know how to get the information. but as far as how to install it into the server I do not know how..

This way there is some kind of a server system which can be tested. and make sure everything is functional. But also provides a means to go live with it to make sure there are no errors. and after a run with it if everything is good it can be moved over to the web hosting account. and in the event of a catastrophic problem, it can be switched back with little down time.

If there is any interest by the folks working on the website shoot me a PM for further information
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby dequi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 pm

pearbear wrote:Lets consider the progress on the various parts of the project:

pearbear wrote:
  • Home Page: Has been implemented on the GitHub wiki.

You could see this as the home page indeed. Don't know if you can add a custom domain name to a wiki of a GitHub repository. Have not found any reference online how to do this yet but since this is a git repository should be possible no? Doing some tests on this. If not then we need to find an other way to link the EventGhost domain to the repository. We also need to consider what happens with search-engine indexed pages that wont be there anymore.

pearbear wrote:

pearbear wrote:
  • Wiki: has been implemented on the GitHub wiki.

pearbear wrote:
  • Documentation: Has not yet been implemented. I don't see anyone volunteering to do the work of changing the help file generation and there is some controversy over removing the built-in help.

Well, although I'm a bit swamped at the moment... still working on this... somewhat... :roll:

The documentation actually is twofold. You have what I call the 'prose' documentation, that is static through the builds, and the 'auto-doc' or 'generated' documentation.

The actual steps involved would be:

• Find a way to build an offline help .chm file from a GitHub wiki. This wil probably dictate in part the layout and structure we need to keep.
  • Get the 'proze' documentation to the wiki, pretty straightforward.
  • Determine if the plugin list should be 'generated' as in the help or can we start with a 'manual' list for the time being as others are figuring out the plugin manager.
  • Figure out how to get the 'generated' documentation to the wiki, during the build process.
At this point I'm reading-up and trying some stuff, might be a while before I get all clear answers to these questions.
/dequi
dequi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:43 am

As far as linking the website to a domain. Let me handle that end of it. There is a domain of EventGhost.rocks that I can tinker with to see if I can get it pointed. I do not think this will be possible from a DNS level. Because of the fact it's not a host/domain being pointed to. It's an object on a specific server. To do a point for that would require a webserver to do the redirect.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17 am

dequi wrote:Don't know if you can add a custom domain name to a wiki of a GitHub repository. Have not found any reference online how to do this yet but since this is a git repository should be possible no? Doing some tests on this. If not then we need to find an other way to link the EventGhost domain to the repository.

Personally I don't think it's a deal breaker if the custom domain name isn't possible, though it would be better if this was somehow possible. I don't know if others would consider that a major issue. Otherwise it seems like they could just do a redirect of eventghost.org/index.html to https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost/wiki. Worst case scenario would be to just stick with the current home page, which wouldn't be the end of the world. I wonder if revenue loss caused by the wiki home page not having an ad would pose any problems for the financial solvency of the site? I'd assume the majority of the traffic is on the forum and I remember zian said the revenue exceeds expenses.

dequi wrote:We also need to consider what happens with search-engine indexed pages that wont be there anymore.

I think it would be a good idea to redirect every current page to the new page on the wiki that replaces it.

dequi(and anyone else), what do you think of my proposal of immediately moving forward with the parts that are already complete? It seems like at least the Wiki page(which has been renamed "Tutorials" by dequi) and the Downloads page could be transferred over very easily.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 pm

It how I described. You have to maintain some kind of hosting or have some web server be able to do the forwarding.

If and only If there was some way to access the home page like this
EventGhost.Github.com
then we would be ok.

but having to do this
github.com\EventGhost
requires a web server to do the forward

it would have been nice if github had set them selves up to make a host for each account.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby topix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Using a custom domain with GitHub Pages

Is this something you are looking for?
topix
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 am

ok github does set up a host for a user it would be eventghost.github.io

and that doesn't work i get 404 page not found form github.

and also when making a new host. GoDaddy does not allow for adding folders...

so doing eventghost.github.io/eventghost
will not work.

so if we wanted to set up github.eventghost.org we couldn't because eventghost is a project under the organization of eventghost

so doing forum.eventghost.org would also not work

https://help.github.com/articles/custom ... ges-sites/

that link provides setup information to kind of make it work.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 am

But in all honesty I would set up an entirely different organization for the wiki, for the webpage, and for the forum because of how this works, it looks as tho you can only set one directory to be for eventghost.github.io

unless you don't want to have
Code: Select all
http://www.eventghost.org
forum.eventghost.org
github.eventghost.org

otherwise it would be..
Code: Select all
http://www.eventghost.org
http://www.eventghost.org/forum
http://www.eventghost.org/eventghost (github)
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby pearbear » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:23 am

Keep in mind we're talking about the GitHub wiki here, not GitHub Pages(though dequi was previously proposing using GitHub Pages for the website). From what I can tell, the custom domain information is only for GitHub Pages and is not relevant to the GitHub wiki but I could be wrong about that.
pearbear
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:04 pm

well i am git-dumb and you guys are the experts on it. but all i know is that there is no way to set a CName (alias) to anything other then a host.domain. without the use of some sort of forwarding webserver
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feature Requests