Website update

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.
Sem;colon
Experienced User
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Website update

Post by Sem;colon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:35 pm

a year ago I lost my internet for a month, so because you don't use local help, I don't get any help for EventGhost for a month, really nice
You have internet on your mobile nowadays for that to not happen :wink:

jonib
Plugin Developer
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Website update

Post by jonib » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:11 am

Sem;colon wrote:You have internet on your mobile nowadays for that to not happen :wink:
So I assume you are offering to pay my mobile internet bill :twisted: , so I can access the EventGhost help the next time my internet is out.

I don't have a mobile plan with "unlimited" internet, because I don't use enough on the phone to justify paying through the nose every month.

My point was that just because you don't need or use something (offline help) doesn't mean you just remove it, someone might need it. So until EventGhost gets always online DRM, it should have offline help.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

Sem;colon
Experienced User
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Website update

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 am

Yes, I was just joking a bit, I did get your point. :)

It's a fact though that local help is against the trend. I don't say that this a good or bad.
Take a look at mobile apps for example, you will have a hard time finding one that even has online help.

eirik226
Experienced User
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Website update

Post by eirik226 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:22 am

jonib wrote:
dequi wrote:[*] change Help -> Help Contents to point to the GitHub Wiki https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost/wiki
So a year ago I lost my internet for a month, so because you don't use local help, I don't get any help for EventGhost for a month, really nice. (It was a dark time in my life so this hits a nerve)
So I hate when programs has a nice button/menu with help or something and when I press it, it suddenly opens my web-browser, the thing is I am crazzzzzzzzy I have about a million tabs open so it takes a while to open. So at least indicate that the help button will open a webbrowser.
[*] .hlp/.chm files are on their way out. Personally I don't use them. More and more applications are just providing a webpage.
If it wasn't clear I would highly recommend having local help available, maybe have an option to choose offline or online help.

jonib
http://www.one-tab.com/

works great.

jonib
Plugin Developer
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Website update

Post by jonib » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:44 am

Interesting, but don't support my browser Pale Moon at least not the version I'm using.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

User avatar
kgschlosser
Site Admin
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, Colorado USA

Re: Website update

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:09 am

jonib wrote:
Sem;colon wrote:You have internet on your mobile nowadays for that to not happen :wink:
So I assume you are offering to pay my mobile internet bill :twisted: , so I can access the EventGhost help the next time my internet is out.

I don't have a mobile plan with "unlimited" internet, because I don't use enough on the phone to justify paying through the nose every month.

My point was that just because you don't need or use something (offline help) doesn't mean you just remove it, someone might need it. So until EventGhost gets always online DRM, it should have offline help.

jonib
hell my plan has 50 gigs, and i pay 230 a month for 8 lines. it's actually pretty cheap


but i may have some loose change i can toss at ya for the phone bill if ya like

or... i can be a really super kind of a guy. and if you live in the USA and xfinity is in your area. i can just toss ya a user and pass and you can jump onto some other persons cable modem if ya like
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jonib
Plugin Developer
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Website update

Post by jonib » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am

kgschlosser wrote:. and if you live in the USA and xfinity is in your area. i can just toss ya a user and pass and you can jump onto some other persons cable modem if ya like
Hmm, I don't remember Sweden becoming a US state, but anyway my internet is fine (100mbit fiber) unless it don't work then it's shit.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

User avatar
kgschlosser
Site Admin
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, Colorado USA

Re: Website update

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 am

didn't know you were in sweden. i have a nice speed as well 180 mbit. when i first got it installed it was all kinds of issues, but once i figured out what the issues was (for the cable company) we got it all resolved. and it's been rock solid since. never have to reboot the modem, it just works. cisco modem that's why there are no problems. was like pulling teeth to get them to fork over this modem. they told me it was only for businesses. but when i proved to them it was their new cable tv platform bumping heads with the POS modem (arris) they gave to private individuals. they finally forked over the goods.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jonib
Plugin Developer
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Website update

Post by jonib » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:28 am

kgschlosser wrote:didn't know you were in sweden.
Isn't the location showing to the right?

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

User avatar
kgschlosser
Site Admin
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, Colorado USA

Re: Website update

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:22 pm

uuuhhhhh.... uuuuhhhhh..... didn't look at that. to be honest forgot it was there...


LOL
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

davidmark
Experienced User
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: Website update

Post by davidmark » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Don't have time to read all these threads. Has the site been updated since the original post? Doesn't look too terrible to me, though certainly it could use a lot of improvement.

And dumping Bootstrap/jQuery on top of it is not how to make it "modern". Just figure out what sort of layout you want (doesn't seem like it needs anything extravagant) and create it with CSS. The site likely needs very little JS, and certainly jQuery can't be considered modern (or even competent). The CSS that comes with Bootstrap is also considered harmful.

Beware of brand names in Web development as usually aimed at those who don't know what they are doing (so unable to evaluate what's in them). The more popular, the worse they usually are.

I don't have time to mess with the site, but can advise on the effort.

davidmark
Experienced User
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: Website update

Post by davidmark » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:34 pm

There's also some serious confusion in the documentation regarding X10, which is the oldest (and still widely used) Home Automation protocol. The section on that seems to be referring to X10 the manufacturer, not the protocol. I remember the ATI remotes and such and they had nothing to do with what most potential uses will associate with the term.

Only way I know how to do X10 the protocol with EG is through the Serial plug-in (and by scratch). There really should be an ActiveHome Pro interface, which is thoroughly trivial to write if you know Python + ActiveX (and somebody must as there are examples in EG). That's not good and is one reason I ended up trying that miserable VoxCommando application.

Speaking of ActiveX + Python (and VoxCommando), voice commands are another glaring omission (and another easy one to do if you know how to manage an ActiveX object in PERL).

Sorry I am not able to help with those improvements as did my bit for Misterhouse ten years ago. Too bad that's in PERL, but code in that project may give you some ideas. But I digress, at least fix the documentation and repository issues or this project is just going to tread water.

User avatar
kgschlosser
Site Admin
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, Colorado USA

Re: Website update

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:54 am

I didn't know x10 was a protocol I thought x10 was a device manufscturer. And that manufacturer rehashed the PLC protocol. And it ended up kinda sorta becoming 1/2 a standard. Tho it was very unreliable and still is actually mostly due to cheap Chinese shit. Mostly things like electric motors that aren't using caps and diodes or crappy caps and diodes and the "bounce" created on the return doesn't get filtered and ends up screwing with other things in your house. Don't know if anyone remembers having mom turn on the vaccum and the TV going all fussy and screwy. Well it would do the same to anything using PLC

Hence why x10 went out of business
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

pearbear
Experienced User
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Website update

Post by pearbear » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Hey dequi
Any chance we could get a progress update on this project?

dequi
Experienced User
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Website update

Post by dequi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:22 pm

pearbear wrote:Hey dequi
Any chance we could get a progress update on this project?
yes you can :D

At this point I'm not finding the time, as the new guy who started at work in order for me to offload some (a small part) of my daily workload. Got stressed over the amount I was giving him, got depressed and burned out... or in the words of my boss: "You broke him!", me: "Already?" :twisted: . So back to working long hours and weekends as well (That's just what you do when you yourself are one of the four shareholders).

but anyway...

Latest status was that I moved all the old wiki posts (tutorials) to the github wiki so we don't need to implement that in the website and could move away from the old wiki, wanted to port the forum tutorials as well, (I personally don't like the current way of putting up tutorials) and was hoping to see someone adding their own tutorials to the wiki (did not happen yet), I think for the time being I'll just add the links to the forum tutorials to the wiki. - I think this is something to discuss in a separate thread

I was also looking into how to implement the documentation part on the github wiki as well, so we could get away with a single page website without the need for all the jQuery and Bootstrap stuff. For the documentation I was thinking in the line of a README.md file in every plugin directory, and linking to that from the github wiki but didn't solve everything, and wouldn't allow for the use in a help file (got kinda stuck there) - Something also in need of some discussion.

Had also been looking for a more modern logo design as I couldn't find the current one in a decent resolution, thought of asking our in-house "graphic designer" (well he is mainly an "account manager" with a graphic design background, and does this on a more like free-lance basis) but he was buried in work as well. Saw the design by goodcoproflcop here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9133&start=45#p44067 think the logo and style are awesome. So I consider this point on my list as resolved :wink:

I'm thinking of planning a week off somewhere beginning of February and maybe get something up then.
/dequi

Post Reply