Notification Icon with 4 LEDS

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.

Notification Icon with 4 LEDS

Postby Snowbird » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all, as always I would like to thank all the people behind EG, especially Pako, and also the other active and nice people such as Sem;colon, krambriw, and some others ! Thank you for all the work and the time spent for us, the happy users !! :)

Ok, here's my idea for a new feature that I would love to have on EG, and I'm sure many others will love it too !

The idea is to insert a special icon with 4 LEDs in the system Tray and manage each LED individually as desired for notifications or alerts purpose (see my screen shot to understand better what I mean by LED), for example to be notified when an event occurs. I know we already have the OSD plugin to be alerted or notified about something, but it's not very discrete, an icon is much better I think.

What do you think ?
Attachments
icon_alert.png
Snowbird

Re: Notification Icon with 4 LEDS

Postby Snowbird » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:50 am

Hi,

no one shared its opinion on this :) It's not interesting at all ? or too complicated ?

My opinion is that EG is missing some discrete visual alert, that's why I thought of an icon with 4 LEDs, but it could be anything else, as long as it's discrete, any thoughts on this ?

Have a good day all.
Snowbird

Postby Snowbird » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:19 pm

anyone ? :)
Snowbird

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:57 pm

that can be done via a plugin. would you like me to make you one that can do that??

and if so generate a list of things that the led's can be set to that way i can start on it asap
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Snowbird » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 am

Hi,

thank you for your quick reply ! :)

Well, I would love to have a plugin for that, if you can do this I'd be more than happy, and I'm sure others too.

Regarding the list of things, I can give you some names but it's something very personal I guess, not all of us need to monitor the same things. I guess the best thing is to have empty fields with generic names (such as "LED 1", "LED 2", etc.) that one will rename as desired depending on what we want to monitor.

To sum up :

- there must be 4 LEDS displayed in a small tray icon, if possible different from the one used by EG.

- each one of them will have 4 states, they should use a generic name as well, for example (State 1/ State 2 / State 3 /State 4 ) that we can rename as desired. There is a reason why we need to be able to rename the states, while moving the mouse over the "4 LED" icon, the tooltip will show a sum up of each icon functionality with its current state name.

- a state is associated to a specific color, for example :
State 1 : Red
State 2 : Green
State 3 : Blue
State 4 : grey (default state, meaning unused or unset)

If you have any question, don't hesitate, i'll be happy to help you. My knowledge in Python is close to zero :) Even though I understand some things :)

THANK YOU !!! :)
Snowbird

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:39 am

well i guess what i could do is make a simple type code interface for each led that way you could put in the python code for the action and what you expect the action results to be (or global variable)

what i am thinking is to have the 4 led's but have it so each led can change a series of different colors (user definable) and an unlimited number. but only be able to have 4 actions or globals and that's it. but you can set a color for each response/value

make it a table style list that is editable to enter the values as well as the color. and have a checkbox to make it blink for each individual item

i am trying to brainstorm to give as much flexibility to the user.

i am trying to think of what the hover over should look like and on right click what options should be available

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Snowbird » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Ok, that seems nice to me, it's a very good idea to have the possibility to make a LED blink as well :)

here's how I would thing about the tooltip display while hovering over the icon, it should be presented in a nicer way, it's just an idea of how to display it.
Attachments
4Led_hover.png
4Led_hover.png (5.84 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Snowbird

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:47 pm

oh hey ya know what would be a huge help.

this is going to be a little more challenging then i thought because i would really like to have the ability to have the user select the colors. and because of that i have to have it dynamically create the icon on the fly and not use already made ones.

i need to know if it should override the existing EG icon or add another and leave the EG one alone.

and also i really need to have a list of what kind of menu options we should have in it when the icon is clicked.

things like restart EG, shutdown EG save EG and shutdown. close all dialogs and shutdown

those are ones i have thought of.

maybe listing all of the plugins that are running and give the ability to disable them?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Snowbird » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Code: Select all
this is going to be a little more challenging then i thought because i would really like to have the ability to have the user select the colors. and because of that i have to have it dynamically create the icon on the fly and not use already made ones.

I'm not sure I understand when you say "i have to have it dynamically create the icon on the fly and not use already made ones", which icons are you talking about ?

i need to know if it should override the existing EG icon or add another and leave the EG one alone.

I think, it's best to leave the EG icon alone, and create another one especially for this plugin.

and also i really need to have a list of what kind of menu options we should have in it when the icon is clicked.
things like restart EG, shutdown EG save EG and shutdown. close all dialogs and shutdown

It's a good idea to add EG related actions. Here's what I can think of right now, obviously it's just a wish :) I can easily understand if some of them are hard to implement or simply impossible to implement.

EventGhost
> Restart EG
> Save EG Config
> Save EG Config & Shutdown
> Close All Dialogs & Shutdown
> Check for EG update availability

Audio
> Enable/Mute System Sound
> Enable/Mute Microphone

Network
> Enable/Disable WLAN (Wifi)
> Enable/Disable WWAN (3G Network)
> Enable/Disable Bluetooth

Power Scheme
> Max Battery
> Max Performance
> Balanced

4LED Options
> Play Sound when LED 1 Status is changed
> Play Sound when LED 2 Status is changed
> Play Sound when LED 3 Status is changed
> Play Sound when LED 4 Status is changed

Run as Admin...
> Notepad
> CMD

If you need anything else let me know ;)

Thanks again for your time and devotion on this plugin.
Snowbird

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:06 pm

hey i just wanted to let ya know i haven't forgotten ya. but between work on the homestead (i swear everything went wrong in a matter of 2-3 weeks) and getting side tracked helping with some bug fixes. and my own coding projects. you are squeezed somewhere in there. and the more bug fixes i do i end up discovering more of EG so the better the app will be.

i did make a nice new python script editor it looks all fancy

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Snowbird » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:20 pm

hey, no worries at all !! ;) thanks for the update ! you're already doing a lot by helping me, I don't want to abuse your kindness ! ;)

Good luck with your work, see you soon.
Snowbird

Postby Snowbird » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:39 am

Hi there ;)

any progress on this feature ? did you have the time to work on it ? :)

Thanks.
Snowbird

Postby kgschlosser » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:15 am

i haven't forgotten, but i have not had time as of yet. what was going to be a simple replace a couple of boards on my deck at my home. turned into taking the back of the house off and re framing the whole thing. some ding dong carpenter that worked on the home before i bought it did some extremely crappy work and water was getting into the wall on the back of my house and i never knew it was leaking and it rotted the back wall of my home. so i have to replace a section of wall that is 2 stories high and 30 feet wide as well as retile a 30 X 12 area and also rebuild 1/2 my deck.

not exactly what i was expecting from replacing a couple of boards on my deck. and with this unexpected renovation comes upgrading and changing things about. and improving. it's just a hell of alot of work for me and my friend. and i still have to continue the normal chores like yard work. and some how i have to also squeeze at least 3-4 hours of sleep in there. i am lucky if i manage to get to sit down and code anything for more than an hour or so. and i am trying to finish up this script editor for EG

i am sorry but the led system tray plugin has kinda been pushed back in the to do list. I am pretty sure it is going to be some time before i get to it.

it will be the next thing i code tho. and i am not that far off from finishing up the script editor.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:43 pm

hello there,

just checking in and wanted to let you know i am going to start coding up that plugin for ya later today. i just have some errands to run first and coding up this plugin in my new script editor will be a really good way to test it out for bugs. It should only take me a few days. i need a vacation from the construction projects on my home. so I get to sit in my gutted office and type up the plugin hopefully without interruption.

K

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Snowbird » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi,

ok sounds great ! :)

thanks for the update, if I can help you with anything just let me know.
Snowbird

Next

Return to Feature Requests