New type of plugin, containing just IR codes for a device

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.

New type of plugin, containing just IR codes for a device

Postby jediry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:13 pm

A nice improvement would be the creation of a new type of plugin that contains all of the IR commands corresponding to an IR-controlled device (e.g., my Mitsubishi HD1000U projector). This feature would enable EG to build up a library of devices, over time, so that it becomes unnecessary for people to teach IR codes to EG in order to control external devices...eventually, most commonly-available devices would be already known to EG, and users would just select their devices from the plugin library rather than teaching IR commands manually. Perhaps it's possible to data-mine one of the various websites that publishes IR codes for remotes from various manufacturers...that might get EG off to a really good start.

The thing that appears to make this difficult today is that EG doesn't support a generic notion of a "Transmit IR" command...I have to use the "Transmit IR" command supported by my specific IR transceiver plugin (in my case, the Vista+ MCE transceiver plugin). This obviously makes it problematic to record the IR codes in any generic way. But I'll bet that it would be possible to define a new plugin type that allows to dynamically choose the IR transceiver.
jediry

Re: New type of plugin, containing just IR codes for a devic

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:45 pm

or the user could simply go to a site like

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/

and look them up and copy and paste them into the transmit IR

:-D

there are way to many codes out there and to make EG get fat in size for something that is easily gotten from the internet...
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests