Digispark-LCD

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Digispark-LCD

Postby Pako » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm

I created another application of Digispark module.
This time it is an alphanumeric LCD display, connected to a PC using the Digispark.

Basic features:
  • Each line of the display is controlled separately.
  • If the text exceeds the length of the line, scrolling is automatically applied.
  • Maximum length of text (for one line) is 64 characters.
  • Non - ASCII characters are supported.
  • Due to the limitations of displays with controller HD44780, you can not display more than 8 non - ASCII characters at a time.
  • If more custom characters is needed, some of the characters are replaced with a similar ASCII character.
  • For easier management, patterns of custom characters are "burned" into the EEPROM memory ATtiny85 (the main component of Digispark).
  • The maximum number of custom characters (located in EEPROM): 56.
  • A set of custom characters can be exported to a file, making it easy to exchange them among users.
  • Undisplayable characters are replaced with ⎕.
I think that the connection LCD to a PC has never been so easy.

Here is EventGhost plugin:
Digispark-LCD.egplugin
(86.58 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
In this way it is connected:
Digispark-LCD.png
Any additional information can be found here: GitHub

Pako
Pako
Plugin Developer

Re: Digispark-LCD

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 am

Since the digispark is an Atmel based micro controller will this also work on something like an arduino??
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Pako » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 am

It is not possible to answer briefly and clearly.
ATtiny85 is the basis Digispark so it can not be "real" Arduino (this is based on the MCU of mega - as ATmega328 and the like).
However, there is Arduino extension for a "tiny" series - it's just Digispark.
Here's how to do it.
Development of Digispark-LCD, of course, I did in the Arduino environment.

Maybe your question is thought otherwise: Digispark-LCD can be ported to the "real" Arduino?
I think it definitely can be. But the charm of simplicity and cheapness Digispark solution would be lost.
On the other hand - it could be much "smarter" and with fewer restrictions (for example text length).

Pako
You know flattr ? You can Image
Pako
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm

In order to keep the "charm" of cheapness could something like this be run on an ESP8266? I do know the Aduino IDE can flash the ESP's. it would add the benefit of wifi.

This is a nice idea for things like displaying various metrics throughout the home. If it could be used in conjunction with a cheap wifi solution that would be cool.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Pako » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 pm

ESP8266 - I have no experience and little knowledge. I intend to try something with it in the future. I do not know whether Digispark-LCD can somehow be used in combination with ESP8266.

Pako
You know flattr ? You can Image
Pako
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 pm

the esp can be used in 2 ways. it can be flashed directly using the Arduino IDE or by flashing it with MicroPython using the ESPTool for python (my personal favorite) and use it standalone without any other controller needed. Or you can hook it up using serial RX/TX and use an AT command set to tell it what to do over serial. and I know you are familiar with what an AT command set is.. tho the commands are different the principal is the same. just remember when you were using that 2400 baud modem and having to key in the AT commands to control the thing.

The ESP is actually a pretty robust micro controller. up to 16 meg flash, 32bit 80mhz RISC processor can be overclocked to 160 (one of the features i like about MicroPython this can be dynamically controlled), 160k ram.

Here are the specs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP8266

I think you would have a lot of fun with these things if you were using MicroPython.

it would be cool to make a LCD display that can have data sent to it over wifi. But this could also open the doors for making touch panels that EG controls. all the ESP would be is a "translator" EG would be used as the "brains" and send off the data to be displayed on the touchscreen and the esp could send back something like the x, y of where the screen has been touched. I am not sure if a really super nice display could be achieved with the ram being as limited as it is. but it's a thought
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Plugin Support