XBMC

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kirs
Plugin Developer

XBMC

Post by kirs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:55 pm

Plugin available for XBMC (http://xbmc.org).

Version 0.2

- Works on for XMBC Atlantis Beta 1 or greater.
- Handles all remote buttons.
- Handles actions beyond physical buttons (Random, Repeat, etc.) for Harmony or similar remote owners.
Attachments
xbmc.zip
Latest revision.
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 13549 times
Last edited by kirs on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kricker
Experienced User

Re: XBMC

Post by kricker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 pm

I plan on trying this out tonight! Thank You. Quick Question: Does this plugin allow navigation of the XBMC onscreen keyboard?

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:34 pm

kricker wrote:I plan on trying this out tonight! Thank You. Quick Question: Does this plugin allow navigation of the XBMC onscreen keyboard?
Yes. It sends codes as if they were sent by an actual remote so it works for the onscreen keyboard just as it did with the Xbox version and a remote.

kricker
Experienced User

Post by kricker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:57 pm

Okay so I gave it a whirl.

All my remote presses were sent multiple times constantly. Pressing up or down in the MediaStream main menu menu scrolling forever. All my buttons were being sent in a constant flow until I pressed another button, then that button starting repeating forever. Is this an issue with the XBMC EventServer?

It would also be nice to have an alternative shutdown choice. One that launched the power menu like "s" does.

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 pm

kricker wrote:Okay so I gave it a whirl.

All my remote presses were sent multiple times constantly. Pressing up or down in the MediaStream main menu menu scrolling forever. All my buttons were being sent in a constant flow until I pressed another button, then that button starting repeating forever. Is this an issue with the XBMC EventServer?
Ok, I am seeing this now too. I am working on it. Will post when fixed.
It would also be nice to have an alternative shutdown choice. One that launched the power menu like "s" does.
I will see about this too.

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:16 pm

The problem with the repeating keys has been fixed and the first post has been updated with a fixed version.

I'll look into implementing a smarter shutdown action tomorrow.

kricker
Experienced User

Post by kricker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:18 am

Great. I'll try it out now.

kricker
Experienced User

Post by kricker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:02 am

Definitely working better now. I think the function you are currently calling "Title" should be called "Context Menu" as that is the actual function name.

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Good to hear. The title action is named after the key name in Keymap.xml. I agree it's misleading but I tried to map things directly to the keymap names so people can map as expected.

I made a shutdown menu action but it crashes XBMC. It's a bug on their side, nothing I can do about it other than report it. For now you can modify Keymap.xml under the remote section to change the power element to:

<power>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</power>

And use the Power action in EventGhost.
Last edited by kirs on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kricker
Experienced User

Post by kricker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:44 pm

kirs wrote:Good to hear. The title action is named after the key name in Keymap.xml. I agree it's misleading but I tried to map things directly to the keymap names so people can map as expected.
Okay, I just thought it made more sense to call them by the function that is done when the button is pressed instead of the key. I guess "title" is the only one that sounds confusing when looking thru the keymap.
kirs wrote: I made a shutdown menu action but it crashes XBMC. It's a bug on their side, nothing I can do about it other than report it. For now you can modify Keymap.xml under the remote section to change the power element to:
kirs wrote:<power>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</power>

And use the Power action in EventGhost.
ActivateWindow(MyVideos)? Wouldn't that cause the power function to take you to the videos menu? I figure it should be "ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)", which I can change in the keymap myself. No need for your plugin to change anything.

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:32 pm

kricker wrote:ActivateWindow(MyVideos)? Wouldn't that cause the power function to take you to the videos menu? I figure it should be "ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)", which I can change in the keymap myself. No need for your plugin to change anything.
Cut and paste error :) Yeah, until they fix that crash on shutdown menu it's best to do it in the keymap.

topfs2

Post by topfs2 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:29 pm

I have a few pointers.
Mainly in the comming RC/Gold version of XBMC it will support better actions so I would recommehnd you to update xbmccliet.py from svhn

now Its possigble to cohntroll all actiohns.
chnahmngbe lihmne

Code: Select all

self.plugin.xbmc.send_action(self.value)
to

self.plugin.xbmc.send_action(self.value,actiontype=ACTION_BUTTON)
Also hnow we support way gbetter shnuyjtdowhn features, look at my gblogb post. http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2008/09/23/skinn ... hibernate/

Excuse my weird post gbecause I hnave spilled coffe ihn my keygboard so it's quite fucked up :S

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:30 pm

topfs2 wrote:I have a few pointers.
Mainly in the comming RC/Gold version of XBMC it will support better actions so I would recommehnd you to update xbmccliet.py from svhn

now Its possigble to cohntroll all actiohns.
chnahmngbe lihmne

self.plugin.xbmc.send_action(self.value)
to

self.plugin.xbmc.send_action(self.value,actiontype=ACTION_BUTTON)
What is the difference between a button action and a button press sent via PacketBUTTON?

Also, would it be possible to append some default args to the send methods on the XMBCClient class? I needed a way to tell it to queue and no repeat keys but there was no elegant way of doing it othr than adding it to the bundled copy. I would rather have the functionality in the official release if it's not a problem so I can keep up to date with it.

def send_button(self, map="", button="", amount=0, repeat=1, queue=0):
        packet = PacketBUTTON(map_name=str(map), button_name=str(button), amount=amount, repeat=repeat, queue=queue)
        packet.send(self.sock, self.addr, self.uid)
        return
Also hnow we support way gbetter shnuyjtdowhn features, look at my gblogb post. http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2008/09/23/skinn ... hibernate/
All add actions for those shutdown features. Also looking into the shutdown window crash myself. Compiling XBMC now, may take a while...
Excuse my weird post gbecause I hnave spilled coffe ihn my keygboard so it's quite fucked up :S
LOL :D

topfs2

Post by topfs2 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Finally got a awfull keyboard down from the attic :)
What is the difference between a button action and a button press sent via PacketBUTTON?
The difference is that Button press via PacketBUTTON will emulate the selected remote, ie keyboard. The action the sent key will generate will depend on the keymap.xml. So on default setup a Keyboard up will navigate you up but its possible to change this to Eject the Drive.
The Button action on the otherhand will send the action and won´t care the slightest on how you have vandalised the keymap.xml :)

In general some events might be a certainty what actions they should generate, on others it can vary throughout the gui. So both could be needed.
Example: an Up should probably be sent as a PacketBUTTON as it do other stuff in Fullscreen video for example.
Wereas FastForward, instead of sending as keyboard F, should always do fastforward nomatter what and should therefor be an action.
Also, would it be possible to append some default args to the send methods on the XMBCClient class? I needed a way to tell it to queue and no repeat keys but there was no elegant way of doing it othr than adding it to the bundled copy. I would rather have the functionality in the official release if it's not a problem so I can keep up to date with it.

def send_button(self, map="", button="", amount=0, repeat=1, queue=0):
        packet = PacketBUTTON(map_name=str(map), button_name=str(button), amount=amount, repeat=repeat, queue=queue)
        packet.send(self.sock, self.addr, self.uid)
        return
Ill look into it!

kirs
Plugin Developer

Post by kirs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:17 am

topfs2 wrote:Finally got a awfull keyboard down from the attic :)
The difference is that Button press via PacketBUTTON will emulate the selected remote, ie keyboard. The action the sent key will generate will depend on the keymap.xml. So on default setup a Keyboard up will navigate you up but its possible to change this to Eject the Drive.
The Button action on the otherhand will send the action and won´t care the slightest on how you have vandalised the keymap.xml :)

In general some events might be a certainty what actions they should generate, on others it can vary throughout the gui. So both could be needed.
Example: an Up should probably be sent as a PacketBUTTON as it do other stuff in Fullscreen video for example.
Wereas FastForward, instead of sending as keyboard F, should always do fastforward nomatter what and should therefor be an action.
You're right. I should be mapping everything I can to actions. There's actually actions for everything I need, including Up, Down, Mute, etc. I have to think about what to make actions and not.

The problem with getting rid of the emulated keypresses is that they are contextual. For instance, the title key does context information in the XBMC interface but codec info in full screen video. So I need to keep both keys and actions around for the most part.
Ill look into it!
Thanks!