Plugin for USB to RS232 adapter with FTDI chip

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
MJ.nfl

Plugin for USB to RS232 adapter with FTDI chip

Post by MJ.nfl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 am

I've been using Girder on my old Windows 7x64 PC with infra-red receiver connected to a RS-232 socket (it used to come with Skystar 2 PCI card) and it worked perfectly with Igorplug plugin and my TS 35 remote.

On my new PC, since there is no more RS232 port, I use USB to RS232 adapter with FTDI chip (model InLine 33306I) and my old infra-red receiver.
IMG_20190816_111552.jpg

My new setup is detected as -- USB Serial Port (COM3)...
2019-08-16_120345.png
2019-08-16_120408.png
2019-08-16_121631.png

and also as USB serial converter
2019-08-16_122215.png

Is there any plugin that can make this combination work with Eventghost. I tried Plugin: Serial Port, it doesn't show any error in Log panel, but it also doesn't show any event by remote.
2019-08-16_122443.png
2019-08-16_122503.png

I should also say that my Girder setup on this new PC with Igorplug detects remote events, but the problem is that remote codes vary with each press. Here are my Igorplug settings...
2019-08-16_122736.png
Any help would be appreciated...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Plugin for USB to RS232 adapter with FTDI chip

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:11 pm

OK lets tackle your first problem.

That is a TTL USB Serial adapter. It is not an RS232 USB Serial Adapter. so the adapter is wrong.
Let me explain why and this is a HUGE issue when trying to buy these things. Because the manufacturers of the adapters love to use the terms interchangeably when they really are not.

RS232 is a communications specification and that specification is for the hardware level. In that specification it requires that the on/off states are +12v -12v with the absolute lowest voltage being +6v -6v this is to define the "on" and "off" TTL is is a low voltage specification for transmitting serial data it has 2 different voltage ranges it can operate in +5v -5v and +3.3v to -3.3v. Your old IR receiver is an RS232 Serial and you are trying to use a TTL adapter.. Do you see where the issue lies? This is how you can tell to be sure when you pick up another adapter.. if it is true RS232 it is going to have a wall wart with it an ac to dc power adapter the little brick that you plug into an outlet. USB is at most +5v -5v it is impossible for it to produce the +12v -12v needed for RS232 so if there is no power supply it is not RS232.

Almost all mainboards still made even today do have an RS232 port built onto them. So all you need to do is purchase a header.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1U- ... way&sr=8-3

or you can optionally purchase an MCE IR receiver that pretty much works with all remotes.

https://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote- ... ems&sr=1-1

I do know they just discontinued these things so there aren't that many left to buy.. at 30.00 USD it's not a bad deal. And these receivers also have the ability to blast as well. These work without issue.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:25 pm

I know that you state it is working with Girder. I feel you are going to have a problematic connection with the thing.

If you would be so kind as to PM me the igorplug.dll file from girder i can check it out and see what it is doing. you will have to zip up the file before you attach it to a post.

MJ.nfl

Post by MJ.nfl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 pm

First of all, thank you for your awesome instructions and help...

I really never knew about COM port header, never even crossed my mind. My motherboard is Asrock B450 Steel Legend. Upon looking at the manual now I see that it has COM Port Header (COM1) with 9 pins (one place with no pin).
It sure seems like it would be the easiest solution.

I'll PM you Igorplug. If you can manage to do something to correct the way it works I would be much obliged.

If not, your help was most generous, and I am one simple COM port header from being in love with my new PC.

Thanks again...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:44 am

no worries m8. I still think I am going to need to see what kind of exports that idor dll has. It appears to be some kind of a driver. But for some reason I do not think it is. I believe the IR receiver you are using is simply serial data and the igor dll has the decoding built into it. If that is the case then we will not need the igor dll file because IR decoding is already written into EG and it was written to be an item that can be used by anyone/anything really. I still want to have a peek at the dll and see what is going on.

Does it make sense about the whole TTL and RS232 thing i explained in the last post??? I hate it that USB to TTL manufacturers call it USB to RS232 because that is not what it is.

If it uses the FTDI chip then it is TTL.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:06 am

OK so this is what I have come up with...

The igorplug.dll file was made for Windows XP and used a hole in the Windows XP API to be able to get enough cpu cycles to correctly decode the IR. from what I have been reading that is no longer a necessity. So the dll is not something that is needed.

We should be able to see serial data coming on on the port. Try to use a program like putty to open the port and watch for data.. while you are pressing the buttons on the remote you should see a stream of information come in. If you do not then I am going to say it has to be the TTL thing i mentioned earlier and you will have to get that header and install it. and we can go from there.

if you do get data. press a couple of buttons then copy and paste the data so I can check it out.

MJ.nfl

Post by MJ.nfl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:37 am

I tried putty, but there was no data coming through. It's going to be a port header for me. Availability of port headers seems to be mostly online, but I'll try to find one in local PC stores.

I'll report back when I find one
And again, thank you for all the help. All the best....

MJ.nfl

Post by MJ.nfl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help.

I found the COM port header for 3 euros and with Girder the problem with remote codes is gone. Every button has its own single code.

Regrettably, Eventghost serial plugin still doesn't detect events from remote. It's probably due to IR receiver that has to have 'Igorplug' plugin. Eventghost has an IgorPlug-USB plugin, but that's for the newer version of my IR receiver and that one is hard to find to buy.

I would've liked to try Eventghost, especially since Girder development has been shutdown, but hey, maybe in future....

Anyway, I'm rambling now... Thank you again for all your help. All the best...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 pm

@MJ.nfl

I'm not done with you yet. don't go running off. LOL

This thing is a serial device. Which leads me to think that there is some form of data coming from the thing... LOL.. we have not even discovered if we can see the data.

Now because of some of the old eventghost topics i dead about this idor dll file and the igor type of IR receivers leads me to believe that we do not need to use the igor dll file at all and that the raw IR codes are what come from the receiver.. It was stated that the igor dll file was used to exploit some kind of a hole in Windows xp in order to gain a higher processor priority to parse the ir. Now that makes me think the data is actually raw IR codes. and the timings in which the pulses are sent in as data also have to be timed.. and very accurately too. Now because of this I am going to tell you that 9600 bps is not the speed in which you would set a serial port to if monitoring IR pulses real time. you would need 38400 or better. So that tells me that there is a setting goof there.. OR the pulses actually do not come through as serial data in the usual way.. meaning it is not sent using the TX bin on the receiver.. So you would not actually ever see any data.. There are 9 pins total. the RX and TX only account for 2 of them. I did notice from your screen shot of the settings in GIRD that the input signal is set to "DSR" which is an actual pin. this pin is used to typically handle handshaking but it can also be used to transmit data.. This thing can be pulsed at a high rate of speed.

I want you to download a program called RealTerm. It is a terminal emulator like HyperView It has wayyyy more bells and whistles.. One of them being the ability to see what is going on with those other pins..

try using that program to open the serial port to the receiver.. and then send some IR codes to it and see if there is any data to the window. but also watch the indicators for the different pins in the same window.. You will have to watch super close as the pulses come in at a frequency of 38khz or so. But sometimes you may have a long pause between pulses and it would cause that indicator to flash on the program.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm

I was right!!!!!

wee ha!!!

check it out..
https://sash.bgplus.com/remote/Remote%2 ... mputer.htm

a person can make one of these things for < 1.00 USD

and if you look the "out" of the IR receiver is wired to the DSR pin on the serial. So that is why you are not getting any data using the serial plugin. Because there isn't any to see.

So Now I am going to poke about a bit and either locate something already written or possibly write something to monitor this DSR pin from python.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:16 am

ok so this is how I think this is going to work for you because of how that IR receiver works.

You will need to install winLirc and use the winLirc plugin. I have not used either of those things nor do I know how to set it up. If there is someone that has used these things and can chime in and help out it would be appreciated

MJ.nfl

Post by MJ.nfl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 pm

Sorry for the late checkup, I was away on businesses. I'll try your suggestions over the weekend. No doubt it will work... :D

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:23 am

funny thing. just yesterday I managed to locate the API for that DLL file. I have not yet looked at it. I will right now to see what we can possibly do with it.