Support for XBMC2 plugin (formerly XBMCRepeat)

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
jonib
Plugin Developer

Re: Support for XBMC2 plugin (formerly XBMCRepeat)

Post by jonib » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I have updated the XBMC2 plugin to 0.6.1. Download here.

I have fixed a parameter bug in JSON-RPC action and also made it compatible (hopefully) with the nightly versions of XBMC (eden), specifically the method update function in the configuration.
Fixed a bug with the HTTPAPI action that didn't show all commands.

Also made some changes and tweaks to some action descriptions to match XBMCs documentation.

Solved: Thanks Pako. Please if you can help look at this post, thanks.

I'm looking into adding event support right now, there seems to be two ways to get events from XBMC. If you have any information about events from XBMC, I would appreciate any help as there seems to be very little information available, thanks.

jonib
Last edited by jonib on Sat May 28, 2011 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 am

installed... will test this weekend
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:39 am

i m kinda lost and need some help ..

i install eg and installed xbmc plugin.. but after pairing the remote nthing happens on remote key presses.. i think i m missing a key step somewhere..

steps i followed:
1. paired bt ps3 remote ..shows up under hid compliant game controller
2. installed eventghost
3. add plugin-->xbmc2-->ip address =127.0.0.1 --> tried under context root and configuration tree.
4. Nothing else.. try the remote keypresses.
Nothing logs in the log but I did see the xbmc found the eventghost input.

Please help. Am I supposed to install the xml files in this forum ?? xbmcclient is already present...what am i missing here?

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:44 am

i got the latest version of eventghost installed..added plugin xbmc2 and paired the remote...

Now when i test any event ie Left,right it makes changes on xbmc but remote key presses dont do anything.. i m on windows 7.

please help

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:06 am

I do not understand how "... and paired the remote", when "Nothing logs in the log".
Assign an event to a macro you can only when after the keypress on the remote control an event appears in the log.
You have not written at all, what is your remote control.
For each remote must be in the configuration an appropriate plugin.

Pako

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:41 am

hardrock_121 wrote:i got the latest version of eventghost installed..added plugin xbmc2 and paired the remote...

Now when i test any event ie Left,right it makes changes on xbmc but remote key presses dont do anything.. i m on windows 7.
Sounds like you need to get your ps3 remote working in EvetGhost first, look here as it looks like the correct place.

jonib

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Pako wrote:I do not understand how "... and paired the remote", when "Nothing logs in the log".
Assign an event to a macro you can only when after the keypress on the remote control an event appears in the log.
You have not written at all, what is your remote control.
For each remote must be in the configuration an appropriate plugin.

Pako
So here's what I did in detail:

1 Install latest version of eventghost
2. Paired my PS3 BT remote with my PC using start/enter and it shows up as HID game controller in devices. (using default windows7 64 BT stack with bluetooth dongle.)
3. Added the plugin xbmc2 in the EG and tried hitting buttons .. nothing happens.. ( I m sure some step is missed before this to make it work)
4. Added the plugin PS3 BT remote and tried hitting buttons..again nothing happens.. but this time I can atleast see the actions logged with some exceptions in red.

Notes: I do see under General/buttons (in the tree) there are macros (cogs) for left,right,top etc.. and each of them has assigned action.. xbmc2:left, xbmc2:right etc.. Thus my assumtion that each button press is already assigned a action on what to do when a button a pressed. Infact for each action if I hit configure this item and click the "TEST" button, the action gets logged in the log and the corresponding action takes place on xbmc. for eg "TEST"ing left action moves the menu toleft on xbmc.. but the button presses don't do anything on the remote. Somehow the button presses on the remote are not being picked up my the EG.. adding ps3 BT remote plugin fixed part of it but still it logs errors..

Sidenote:
At one point (dont remember what I did) but if i press any button for eg down.. it went into a infinite loop and kept moving the cursor (selection on any active window) down the log said .. something like autorepeat: 6ms ( I dont remember exactly the log entry as I am work , but if i am able to replicate it i can paste it here).

If there is a guide from start on how to set it up .. please let me know.. i ve pored through these forums but didnt find a single post listing how to make it work... except the first page which simply says.. load the xbmc plugin which is terribly out of date now.

Please help!
PS: How to make the remote work with both the ps3 when needed again? seems like after pairing with pc it wont work with ps3.

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

jonib wrote:
hardrock_121 wrote:i got the latest version of eventghost installed..added plugin xbmc2 and paired the remote...

Sounds like you need to get your ps3 remote working in EvetGhost first, look here as it looks like the correct place.

jonib
I did go through that post.. but not everypage ... i m doing that now .. but is there any place where all the info is consolidated... one on the front page will be a HUUUUGE BONUS for noobs like me.

Thanks!

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:04 pm

hardrock_121 wrote:Notes: I do see under General/buttons (in the tree) there are macros (cogs) for left,right,top etc.. and each of them has assigned action.. xbmc2:left, xbmc2:right etc.. Thus my assumtion that each button press is already assigned a action on what to do when a button a pressed. Infact for each action if I hit configure this item and click the "TEST" button, the action gets logged in the log and the corresponding action takes place on xbmc. for eg "TEST"ing left action moves the menu toleft on xbmc.. but the button presses don't do anything on the remote. Somehow the button presses on the remote are not being picked up my the EG.. adding ps3 BT remote plugin fixed part of it but still it logs errors..
Looks like the XBMC2 plugin works correctly. You do need to assign any buttons from your remote to the macros you want to use. but if you're getting errors when pressing the remote buttons you need to fix that first.
I did go through that post.. but not everypage ... i m doing that now .. but is there any place where all the info is consolidated... one on the front page will be a HUUUUGE BONUS for noobs like me.
I also meant it's better to post your problem to that thread as people that can help might not read the XBMC2 support thread.

jonib

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

jonib wrote:
hardrock_121 wrote:Notes: I do see under General/buttons (in the tree) there are macros (cogs) for left,right,top etc.. and each of them has assigned action.. xbmc2:left, xbmc2:right etc.. Thus my assumtion that each button press is already assigned a action on what to do when a button a pressed. Infact for each action if I hit configure this item and click the "TEST" button, the action gets logged in the log and the corresponding action takes place on xbmc. for eg "TEST"ing left action moves the menu toleft on xbmc.. but the button presses don't do anything on the remote. Somehow the button presses on the remote are not being picked up my the EG.. adding ps3 BT remote plugin fixed part of it but still it logs errors..
Looks like the XBMC2 plugin works correctly. You do need to assign any buttons from your remote to the macros you want to use. but if you're getting errors when pressing the remote buttons you need to fix that first.
I also meant it's better to post your problem to that thread as people that can help might not read the XBMC2 support thread.

jonib

Can you gimme a brief overview of how that needs to be done? I have a tree as mentioned in the first post.. and different folders.. like remote/gamepad/general etc.. and each of them have button named macros in it.. and that has the actions assigned... so how do i tie the button name (from where)to the macros (in the tree)

As you said, i ll post it in the other thread also and see if i can get any assistance. Thanks anyways!

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:32 pm

hardrock_121 wrote:Can you gimme a brief overview of how that needs to be done? I have a tree as mentioned in the first post.. and different folders.. like remote/gamepad/general etc.. and each of them have button named macros in it.. and that has the actions assigned... so how do i tie the button name (from where)to the macros (in the tree)
The documentation is a good place to start, specifically the short manual, last section Assigning Events to Macros.

And for the XBMC2 plugin check the first post. But in short start to assign in the Buttons\Remote macros as you use a remote, add any missing from the Actions and Windows folders.

jonib

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:45 pm

jonib wrote:
hardrock_121 wrote:Can you gimme a brief overview of how that needs to be done? I have a tree as mentioned in the first post.. and different folders.. like remote/gamepad/general etc.. and each of them have button named macros in it.. and that has the actions assigned... so how do i tie the button name (from where)to the macros (in the tree)
The documentation is a good place to start, specifically the short manual, last section Assigning Events to Macros.

And for the XBMC2 plugin check the first post. But in short start to assign in the Buttons\Remote macros as you use a remote, add any missing from the Actions and Windows folders.

jonib
Infact.. I read through all that (first post, short manual and documentation).. but I think my problem is that the keypresses are not being identified properly.. so Here's what i understand from all that i read till now..

AFter all installations are done...
1. on remote keypress..say up arrow.. an event with a lightening icon should display on the left hand logger screen.
2. Drag that lightening event icon and drop it on the macro i want it to be assigned to.. ie Up in the general remote button

I guess my confusion arises from the keypresses not even being logged in the logger.. (sometimes it did but not sure what caused it to 1) go into autorepeat loop, 2) throw errors and exceptions.

One thing i want to try is rebooting the machine..some ppl said that rebooting fixed it.. i havent tried it after the pairing was complete. Will try that and report back once i get home. Thanks again
Once all events are displayed.. i can simply drag n drop on the macros and "tie" it together.
PS
What all plugins do you need? the PS3 remote plugin and xbmc2 plugin should suffice right?

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 pm

hardrock_121 wrote:AFter all installations are done...
1. on remote keypress..say up arrow.. an event with a lightening icon should display on the left hand logger screen.
2. Drag that lightening event icon and drop it on the macro i want it to be assigned to.. ie Up in the general remote button
Correct.
I guess my confusion arises from the keypresses not even being logged in the logger.. (sometimes it did but not sure what caused it to 1) go into autorepeat loop, 2) throw errors and exceptions.
If a keypress isn't being shown in the log, EventGhost can't use it (provided "Log only assigned and activated events" is unchecked).
Once all events are displayed.. i can simply drag n drop on the macros and "tie" it together.
Correct.
What all plugins do you need? the PS3 remote plugin and xbmc2 plugin should suffice right?
Yes.

jonib

hardrock_121

Post by hardrock_121 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:35 pm

jonib wrote:
hardrock_121 wrote:AFter all installations are done...
Correct.
If a keypress isn't being shown in the log, EventGhost can't use it (provided "Log only assigned and activated events" is unchecked).
Correct.
Yes.

jonib

AWesome..thanks for clearing that up.. i ll try the reboot and see if itfixes it.. if not i ll fiddle around with the widdcom stack.

Also any idea how to make it work with ps3 again?? or use that or this simultaneously?

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 pm

hardrock_121 wrote:Also any idea how to make it work with ps3 again?? or use that or this simultaneously?
Sorry no idea, have no experience with the ps3 remote.

jonib