Samsung TV's

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Samsung TV's

Post by Fiasco » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:13 am

Plugin for Samsung Televisions:

RS232 Cable: Samsung DCR003G RS232->stereo mini plug for "ex-link" port

Commands that accept an argument don't work (will fix after turkey day weekend)
Commands that have no argument should all work.

* File Updated Nov 27 *
Attachments
SamsungTV.rar
(8.94 KiB) Downloaded 1862 times
exlink.gif
ex-link rs232 spec
Last edited by Fiasco on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skreien

Re: Plugin - Samsung TV's

Post by skreien » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Please do post back and let us know. I would love to setup this with my media center pc.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Post by Fiasco » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 pm

File updated

ryanmc

Post by ryanmc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:39 pm

im using this on a hl-61a750 and its working great thank you
Ryan

skreien

Post by skreien » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I have a PN42B450. Can't find where I can do this.... I don't think mine has serial control. It does have a USB on the back that's labeled service, but I can't find any info on this. The service menu doesn't show anything about serial.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Re: Samsung TV's

Post by Fiasco » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 pm

Does it have a small "headphone" type jack labeled "ex-link"?

If not, you would need to find out if that usb "service" port can use a USB->serial cable like the GUC232A.

Jostein
Experienced User

Post by Jostein » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi.

I have a Samsung LE46A856.

I have made the cable.

When i press mute "1, 8, 2, power" it only goes on. If i press "Info, Menu, Mute, Power" i get to a service menu.

I tried turning hotel mode to on but it doesent work. Should i do something else?
Have atached images with the menues.
Attachments
31122009061.jpg
31122009060.jpg

Tony Ellis

Post by Tony Ellis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

Just wanted to say: thanks for an excellent plugin. Being able to know whether or not my TV has already been switched on is hugely useful for my media PC.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

any idea where I can find a list of TVs that support serial control?

Are there any affordable options or are they all > $1000 US

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 am

@jitterjames,

I don't know about a list of TV's with serial control, but I can tell you I managed to get a Sharp Aquos TV for $999 CAD. You have to look out for that option.

I am now trying to control the TV with the Serial Port plugin. I can write the data to turn the TV on/off. I am having some trouble figuring out how to change the volume. If I write the data "VOLM?? ", an event is triggered with the volume level, for example "SharpTV.3". I don't know where to go from there to increase/decrease the volume by one (aside from writing the data "VOLM04 " or "VOLM02 "). I was looking at the Samsung TV plugin for help but have not figured it out yet. I know very little about programming and am just picking up bits and pieces of information as I go along.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 pm

cool. I've always like the aquos line anyway. do you know if this is a standard feature for all aquos sets?

now if I can find out whether their 120Hz sets support true 24p framerates or convert it to 60 and then a fake 120 like most sets seem to do.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Post by Fiasco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:55 pm

I have not come across a Sharp TV yet for integration but will write a plugin for them when I do.
kalia wrote:@jitterjames,

I don't know about a list of TV's with serial control, but I can tell you I managed to get a Sharp Aquos TV for $999 CAD. You have to look out for that option.

I am now trying to control the TV with the Serial Port plugin. I can write the data to turn the TV on/off. I am having some trouble figuring out how to change the volume. If I write the data "VOLM?? ", an event is triggered with the volume level, for example "SharpTV.3". I don't know where to go from there to increase/decrease the volume by one (aside from writing the data "VOLM04 " or "VOLM02 "). I was looking at the Samsung TV plugin for help but have not figured it out yet. I know very little about programming and am just picking up bits and pieces of information as I go along.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Post by Fiasco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:56 pm

jitterjames wrote:any idea where I can find a list of TVs that support serial control?

Are there any affordable options or are they all > $1000 US
LG has a great RS232 protocol.

Many Samsungs have an RS232 port as well (although the protocol sucks). They will have a port on the back labeled "ex-link" which is a mini-plug RS232 port.

I have plugins up in eventghost for LG, Samsung, Pioneer (great protocol) and Mitsubishi (protocol sucks).

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm

thanks Fiasco, I guess my problem is that I have been trying to look at options online, and most web site (e.g. bestbuy, futureshop) don't ever even mention the serial port at all. Do you know if this is a standard feature for LG LCD TVs or is it only on select product lines? This will definitely be a major consideration on the next set I buy. Actually I don't mind RF blasting, but it seems that the controls are all relative using RF, so there is no "TV ON" only "Power Toggle" and there is no "set vol 50%" just vol up and vol down. I would assume that a (decent) serial protocol would have the commands I am looking for.

I am currently RF blasting to my WestingHouse (thanks to Stottle) and it works pretty well, but I cannot for example turn the TV off from another room unless I know for sure that it is already on.

I am also interested in Surround Receivers that support serial control but in this case it really only seems to exist on the higher end $$ stuff.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Post by Fiasco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:42 pm

jitterjames wrote:I am also interested in Surround Receivers that support serial control but in this case it really only seems to exist on the higher end $$ stuff.

Pretty much yup. Onkyo and Denon both have nice protocols.