Samsung TV's

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Samsung TV's

Postby Fiasco » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:13 am

Plugin for Samsung Televisions:

RS232 Cable: Samsung DCR003G RS232->stereo mini plug for "ex-link" port

Commands that accept an argument don't work (will fix after turkey day weekend)
Commands that have no argument should all work.

* File Updated Nov 27 *
Attachments
SamsungTV.rar
(8.94 KiB) Downloaded 1855 times
exlink.gif
ex-link rs232 spec
Last edited by Fiasco on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Re: Plugin - Samsung TV's

Postby skreien » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Please do post back and let us know. I would love to setup this with my media center pc.
skreien

Postby Fiasco » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 pm

File updated
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Postby ryanmc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:39 pm

im using this on a hl-61a750 and its working great thank you
Ryan
ryanmc

Postby skreien » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I have a PN42B450. Can't find where I can do this.... I don't think mine has serial control. It does have a USB on the back that's labeled service, but I can't find any info on this. The service menu doesn't show anything about serial.
skreien

Re: Samsung TV's

Postby Fiasco » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 pm

Does it have a small "headphone" type jack labeled "ex-link"?

If not, you would need to find out if that usb "service" port can use a USB->serial cable like the GUC232A.
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Postby Jostein » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi.

I have a Samsung LE46A856.

I have made the cable.

When i press mute "1, 8, 2, power" it only goes on. If i press "Info, Menu, Mute, Power" i get to a service menu.

I tried turning hotel mode to on but it doesent work. Should i do something else?
Have atached images with the menues.
Attachments
31122009061.jpg
31122009060.jpg
Jostein
Experienced User

Postby Tony Ellis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

Just wanted to say: thanks for an excellent plugin. Being able to know whether or not my TV has already been switched on is hugely useful for my media PC.
Tony Ellis

Postby jitterjames » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

any idea where I can find a list of TVs that support serial control?

Are there any affordable options or are they all > $1000 US
jitterjames
Experienced User

Postby kalia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 am

@jitterjames,

I don't know about a list of TV's with serial control, but I can tell you I managed to get a Sharp Aquos TV for $999 CAD. You have to look out for that option.

I am now trying to control the TV with the Serial Port plugin. I can write the data to turn the TV on/off. I am having some trouble figuring out how to change the volume. If I write the data "VOLM?? ", an event is triggered with the volume level, for example "SharpTV.3". I don't know where to go from there to increase/decrease the volume by one (aside from writing the data "VOLM04 " or "VOLM02 "). I was looking at the Samsung TV plugin for help but have not figured it out yet. I know very little about programming and am just picking up bits and pieces of information as I go along.
kalia
Experienced User

Postby jitterjames » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 pm

cool. I've always like the aquos line anyway. do you know if this is a standard feature for all aquos sets?

now if I can find out whether their 120Hz sets support true 24p framerates or convert it to 60 and then a fake 120 like most sets seem to do.
jitterjames
Experienced User

Postby Fiasco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:55 pm

I have not come across a Sharp TV yet for integration but will write a plugin for them when I do.

kalia wrote:@jitterjames,

I don't know about a list of TV's with serial control, but I can tell you I managed to get a Sharp Aquos TV for $999 CAD. You have to look out for that option.

I am now trying to control the TV with the Serial Port plugin. I can write the data to turn the TV on/off. I am having some trouble figuring out how to change the volume. If I write the data "VOLM?? ", an event is triggered with the volume level, for example "SharpTV.3". I don't know where to go from there to increase/decrease the volume by one (aside from writing the data "VOLM04 " or "VOLM02 "). I was looking at the Samsung TV plugin for help but have not figured it out yet. I know very little about programming and am just picking up bits and pieces of information as I go along.
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Postby Fiasco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:56 pm

jitterjames wrote:any idea where I can find a list of TVs that support serial control?

Are there any affordable options or are they all > $1000 US

LG has a great RS232 protocol.

Many Samsungs have an RS232 port as well (although the protocol sucks). They will have a port on the back labeled "ex-link" which is a mini-plug RS232 port.

I have plugins up in eventghost for LG, Samsung, Pioneer (great protocol) and Mitsubishi (protocol sucks).
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Postby jitterjames » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm

thanks Fiasco, I guess my problem is that I have been trying to look at options online, and most web site (e.g. bestbuy, futureshop) don't ever even mention the serial port at all. Do you know if this is a standard feature for LG LCD TVs or is it only on select product lines? This will definitely be a major consideration on the next set I buy. Actually I don't mind RF blasting, but it seems that the controls are all relative using RF, so there is no "TV ON" only "Power Toggle" and there is no "set vol 50%" just vol up and vol down. I would assume that a (decent) serial protocol would have the commands I am looking for.

I am currently RF blasting to my WestingHouse (thanks to Stottle) and it works pretty well, but I cannot for example turn the TV off from another room unless I know for sure that it is already on.

I am also interested in Surround Receivers that support serial control but in this case it really only seems to exist on the higher end $$ stuff.
jitterjames
Experienced User

Postby Fiasco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:42 pm

jitterjames wrote:I am also interested in Surround Receivers that support serial control but in this case it really only seems to exist on the higher end $$ stuff.

Pretty much yup. Onkyo and Denon both have nice protocols.
Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Plugin Support