OSE (On Screen Explorer)

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Pako
Plugin Developer

OSE (On Screen Explorer)

Post by Pako » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Today I have for you a hot news - plugin "On Screen Explorer".
He is written on the basis of plugin OSM (On Screen Menu), so it has a similar look and control.
I think that its meaning is clear. He is capable of opening files remotely (when it is impossible to read small letters on the screen)
in programs that do not have their own OSD. I personally have been using XBMC program really just because I could control the computer remotely,
including the choice of files. Other functions of XBMC I do not need. From now on I will prefer to use programs such as the Media Player Classic
in conjunction with the plugin OSE.

Please note that the action "Execute", "Cursor Up" and "Cursor Down" are configurable!
I am very curious what the response to this new plugin. I believe that its existence will be welcomed by multiple users EventGhost.
I ask you to try it. Any comments please write here. I also very much please to perform proofreading. My English is very weak.

Plugin can be downloaded here.
Install it into the directory OSE, which you must create inside the folder plugins.

Pako
You know flattr ? You can Image

Livin
Experienced User

Re: OSE (On Screen Explorer)

Post by Livin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:20 am

Pako,
I'm curious if you use it for anything other than launching media?

I use XBMC for my media room (I have no plans to use anything else) and on occasion I launch videos & music inside it but I use...
XBMCcontrol - nice little Windows app
XBMCcontrol Web - nice add on web interface
XBMC Remote by Collect3 - sweet iPhone app with complete remote and cursor controls

For my Whole House Music I use J River Media Center since everything is centrally controlled and there is a great web app called xpTunes that runs on iPhone & Windows

Just trying to see where your plugin might work for me.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

ray_man

Post by ray_man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Pako!

Is it possible to make, than in "Start Folder" i can set "My Computer", not only disks?

Thanks

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:47 am

ray_man wrote:Is it possible to make, than in "Start Folder" i can set "My Computer", not only disks?
Yes, it's possible. The problem is that it's not possible with wx.DirDialog.
It would be quite difficult to create own DirDialog, which would allow.
So I made workaround with a special button, that is used only for this purpose.
You can download the new version :D !
Pako

ray_man

Post by ray_man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Thank you Pako. The button works, but it's a pity that this function has a little lag on my PC.

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I made a new version of the plugin. What's new:

1) Now plugin otherwise processing shortcuts. Treat them as if it were a file or folder directly.
This has great significance. You can now create a folder that will serve as a disambiguation.
You have your movies in three different folders. The solution is now simple. You can create shortcuts of these three folders inside start folder.
You no longer have to navigate a whole path and you go to desired location directly.
You need to jump frequently from a folder to another folder? There's just place the shortcut, and that's it.

2) In the new version you can select your own identifier of folder (not to be empty string).
Likewise, you can choose your own identifier of shortcut (not necessary for proper function and may be the empty string).

Pako
Attachments
OSE.jpg

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Pako, this works good but I have it going to my root video drive could you make the explorer not show system folders, files, and hidden files? Right now I have to always navigate down past the $Recycle Bin and other folders and files like that.

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:00 pm

molitar wrote:Pako, this works good but I have it going to my root video drive could you make the explorer not show system folders, files, and hidden files? Right now I have to always navigate down past the $Recycle Bin and other folders and files like that.
This is a very good idea. I thank you for it.
Moreover, it was quite easy to implement it.
Pako
Attachments
ShowOSE.jpg

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Pako wrote:
molitar wrote:Pako, this works good but I have it going to my root video drive could you make the explorer not show system folders, files, and hidden files? Right now I have to always navigate down past the $Recycle Bin and other folders and files like that.
This is a very good idea. I thank you for it.
Moreover, it was quite easy to implement it.
Pako
Awesome.. this plugin rules.. One of the most useful now I don't have to get up to select my next play folder :)

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 am

This plugin rules.. would it be possible to have a select all for a folder? That way just as we can right click on a folder to play all files we can do the same with OSE. I love this plugin.

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 am

New version of plugin "OSE" just now released.
Same change as the plugin OSM. On screen menu is now based on the class wx.Grid, instead of wx.ListBox.
It is possible to choose colours of selected menu item.
Menu is now possible to completely control the keyboard (also accept Enter and Escape keys).
Pako

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 am

Plugin load error Pako. The plugin would not load. Ok found the problem.. need to add import wx.grid to the plugin.. seems you forgot that line so it wouldn't load because the grid was not recognised. Love the new grid it's excellent.

Now how is the Menu now possible to completely control the keyboard (also accept Enter and Escape keys).? Does that mean keys like {alt}{a} will work now? And if so how? I would love to be able to go into my video folder select all files and start watching the shows in order. Secondly how does the Trigger event with this suffix work?

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 pm

I am thinking about the possibility support of multi-selection. I also even partially (the test) implemented.
I've yet found that it would be necessary to introduce several new actions
(notably move the cursor up and down without changing the current selection, adding cells to the selection,
removing cells from the selection, etc.).
Control of the menu would then become too complicated and would need to use too many buttons of remote control.
I therefore think, that support for multi-selection is not appropriate in this plugin to implement.

Still, I can make one improvement in this context:
I could in action "Execute" into the box "Action with the folder" add the two options
1) Trigger event, carrying as a payload the contents of folder
2) Return the contents of a folder as eg.result
This could to some extent replace the complicated creation of multi-selection. You think it would have any significance?
molitar wrote:Plugin load error Pako. The plugin would not load. Ok found the problem.. need to add import wx.grid to the plugin.. seems you forgot that line so it wouldn't load because the grid was not recognised.
Thank you for bug warning.
It is interesting, that it worked for me properly also with this bug.
molitar wrote: Now how is the Menu now possible to completely control the keyboard (also accept Enter and Escape keys).? Does that mean keys like {alt}{a} will work now? And if so how?
In the mention of keyboard control, so I meant really just the Enter and Escape keys.
Previously the menu on these keys did not respond at all. The support of other keys (like Alt-A, etc.) I am not thinking.
OSE is intended primarily for operation via remote control.
But I would be able to add the group of "Numerical hot-keys", as it is in OSM plugin. You think it would have any significance?

Pako

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:09 am

Pako wrote: Still, I can make one improvement in this context:
I could in action "Execute" into the box "Action with the folder" add the two options
1) Trigger event, carrying as a payload the contents of folder
2) Return the contents of a folder as eg.result

This could to some extent replace the complicated creation of multi-selection. You think it would have any significance
I think this could work.. the whole idea is to just load all the files into the playlist in MPC and I than just use the next file on remote to I get to the file I wish to play.. and play them in order. So this should work well I believe.
In the mention of keyboard control, so I meant really just the Enter and Escape keys.
Previously the menu on these keys did not respond at all. The support of other keys (like Alt-A, etc.) I am not thinking.
OSE is intended primarily for operation via remote control.
But I would be able to add the group of "Numerical hot-keys", as it is in OSM plugin. You think it would have any significance?
Pako
I could see a significance to the group of numerical hotkeys if they could be used for quick jumping. Example my bleach folder has over 170 episodes in the folder so I could see a use if I was able to type in say 70 and press select and it jumps to the 70th file in the selection. Otherwise I don't see what use it would be since numbers would have no other purpose for explorer unlike the menu where you have numbered options.

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 pm

So I added into the action "Execute" two options for working with folder:
Return the contents of this folder (only files, no folders) as eg.result
Trigger event, carried contents of this folder (only files, no folders) as payload

Perhaps it will be useful to someone.
But I'm not sure, whether it will have some benefit in cooperation with the MPC.
While I do not use MPC program, but if I know so much easier to use the command line and as argument to use a folder path containing the files needed.
For instance:
MPC-picture3.jpg
MPC-picture3.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 14346 times
MPC-picture2.jpg
MPC-picture1.jpg
I very please to check and correct of English texts in OSE plugin !
Pako